Author Topic: Do we know who restored this beauty?  (Read 13553 times)

64cobra

• View Profile
Re: Do we know who restored this beauty?
« Reply #30 on: February 13, 2018, 05:40:32 PM »
When i see 5 tires being wheeled in on a show field by not the owner its “borrowed”. After the car is in place.

J_Speegle

• SAAC Member
  • Just here to help :)
    • View Profile
    • ConcoursMustang.com
« Reply #31 on: February 13, 2018, 05:42:22 PM »
Agree.  Why as SAAC judges are we overlooking borrowed parts. ...............

Firstly it's likely because there are no rules about ownership

Also we don't know what might be borrowed, can't be expected (going to take allot of time and effort) to ask the owner to provide a list of every part on the car and where it might come from, bad blood between owners or builders might lead some to make up stories about other cars/parts, .... its a deep pool we would be diving into where no one involved will likely be happy and no telling how many would choose just not to buy, build or participate.

I guess I'm not upset as some of you are. Have heard and seen a fair number of those that now question the practice participate at some point in the past.  Guess each of us can have a change of mind. 

As a judge I'm looking at the car as presented that day that moment. What ever the car was before (be it a burnt wreck  or the most perfect rust free beauty) IMHO makes no difference at that moment.  Don't care if the owner is a 9-5 worker at a plant or a multi-millionaire its about the car and what it is when we judge it.   

Others will surely see things differently
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

J_Speegle

• SAAC Member
  • Just here to help :)
    • View Profile
    • ConcoursMustang.com
« Reply #32 on: February 13, 2018, 05:44:30 PM »
So how do you know or prove parts are borrowed?????............

Maybe  ::) we can require that the car's VIN be etched (judges will ignore the non-factory markings) in each part so that we know that the parts were installed when the car was judged.    Not serious but sure some are considering something as concrete
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

64cobra

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 13, 2018, 05:46:45 PM »
Funny.   Maybe its time we get rid of d1 and just have one class.  Seems everyone lately in D1 has borrowed parts from past D1 cars. 

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
  • Original Posts:14706
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 13, 2018, 05:53:33 PM »
You probably can't but I bet there's a good chance that it isn't a total secret; ie, you mentioned networking and such does seem like it could be a way to attain/borrow parts.  Last I checked, networking involves a minimum of two people.  Of course,  good buddies wouldn't squeal.
Max
I am sure it would be more close to the vest especially if it was grounds for disqualification which it isn't now. That wouldn't stop it . You just would have less people talking about the details or which parts. 64 cobra said " When i see 5 tires being wheeled in on a show field by not the owner its “borrowed”. After the car is in place. " . That is certainly suspicious but it could easily be explained (not that I believe it in the example instance  :) ) as not wanting to drive on the 50 year + old tires to the spot. The owner may have hired people to help or friends . Many owners do not do their own work (not judging them). The point is hard to prove and easy to start a big problem if you make accusations you can't prove.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

64cobra

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 13, 2018, 06:25:19 PM »
Agree Bob.  Just tough to get to that level anymore.   Why im selling my 2 “almost” cars and giving it up.   Just too many people who dont play by the rules.  I cant honestly show a D1 car without owning the parts.  Love to get there but if I dont own my car and parts its just fake.

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 13, 2018, 08:45:13 PM »
Agree Bob.  Just tough to get to that level anymore.   Why im selling my 2 “almost” cars and giving it up.   Just too many people who dont play by the rules.  I cant honestly show a D1 car without owning the parts.  Love to get there but if I dont own my car and parts its just fake.
You sell yourself sort or at least your cars. Both your cars are spectacular and heads and shoulders over the vast majority that is out there. I believe you are being to tough on yourself .Your expectations are pretty high.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

acman63

• View Profile
    • Shelby Parts and Restoration  since 1977
« Reply #37 on: February 13, 2018, 09:03:36 PM »
This car was a treat to work on.  not only was the body laser straight and dry rust free so were all the original suspension parts which were cleaned up and re-installed. In 45 years this was the best car Ive ever seen to be restored. All the parts were original and no body work was needed Its a treat when you dont have to do any body work on a car . Last car I had like that was in 1977
SAAC Concours Chairman

Owner Shelby Parts and Restoration Since 1977

SAAC original first year member

CharlesTurner

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 13, 2018, 10:35:59 PM »
Darren: You're just going to have to start looking for 67's with original spare tires for sale and snag for your car!   ;) ;) ;)  You just have to remember to re-sell the cars instead of keeping them  :D ;D

We can 3D scan/print a 24F battery if anyone would let their original be scanned.
Charles Turner
MCA/SAAC Judge

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 14, 2018, 12:04:11 AM »
Darren: You're just going to have to start looking for 67's with original spare tires for sale and snag for your car!   ;) ;) ;)  You just have to remember to re-sell the cars instead of keeping them  :D ;D

We can 3D scan/print a 24F battery if anyone would let their original be scanned.
I was going to send one to a company to be copied but recently heard some disturbing behavior about the company which has made me rethink sending it . Too bad.

CharlesTurner

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 14, 2018, 12:32:24 AM »
I have a good friend here that has access to scanning and printing equipment, but know that there is much hesitation to shipping an original battery. 
Charles Turner
MCA/SAAC Judge

shelbymann1970

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 14, 2018, 05:11:15 AM »
Whoops, I had to delete the Marti report when I realized the Ford VIN was still showing.

Here it is in redacted format;
Thanks. So anyone now can have the Ford serial number of any 67 Shelby. I didn't know that as you can order a Marti report for any car-don't have to own it.
Shelby owner since 1984
SAAC member since 1990
1970 GT350 4 speed(owned since 1985).
  MCA gold 2003(not anymore)
1969 Mach1 428SCJ 4 speed R-code (owned since 2013)

427heaven

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 14, 2018, 07:31:43 AM »
With money comes privilege ;)... The Jacksons of the world can buy what ever they want where the average Joe cant. So to get to the point in the racing world they have safety seals,etched bolts and pieces, and break away bolts if tampered with we know. Possibly a chemical process can be used like looking under a black light would show up as being tampered with. You could put an invisible Dot on the cars parts running for these awards only to be seen by a certain process this way it wouldn't piss of the owner by marking up his show car. There are only so many cars in the world running for these awards so we could see who was mixing and matching parts. Craig Jacksons could be green,,,,, ;) While Joe Schmoes car could be red and OOOOH DAMN would you look at that the red wheels don't belong to the green car OOOPS ;)

gt350shelb

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 14, 2018, 07:50:43 AM »
they dont want to buy the parts but want the award to  be shon at the auction  ???
Some where some one is driving their collector car for the last time but they don't know it . Drive your car every time like it could be the last memory of it .

Greg

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 14, 2018, 08:38:21 AM »
There are and will always be people that try to work around the system and be dishonest (to them its probably not).  People have different morals as well and in the end, you are the one that has to look at yourself in the mirror and decide what kind of person you are going to be.  Are you going to be one with integrity in knowing that you are honest and do everything you can to treat people right and do the right thing, or be a person that doesn't have integrity and only out to deceive people for self gain.  Personnelly, I would much rather enjoy my car knowing that I put it together to the best of my ability and finances allowed and win nothing, than to win every top award knowing in the back of my mind, I was dishonest in obtaining the award. 

In the end, there will be the ones that love the cars for what they are and enjoy them and the others only see $.  You CAN tell the difference.
Shelby's and Fords from Day 1