News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

Shelby American new venture with SIXT Rent a Car May 2, 2019

Started by FL SAAC, May 02, 2019, 04:42:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

shelbydoug

Quote from: FL SAAC TONY on May 03, 2019, 03:11:30 PM
Good afternoon Doug,

Would you opine that to be a good circumstance or a bad circumstance ?

Quote from: shelbydoug on May 03, 2019, 01:51:04 PM
Quote from: FL SAAC TONY on May 03, 2019, 01:43:42 PM
Very factual statements, but boy those new cars do handle, brake, accelerate much better than the vintage cars. Add to that all the creature comforts for todays world. Both have their merits and thats why we own both.

Quote from: terlingua11 on May 03, 2019, 10:14:08 AM
I guess I could say I've seen enough of the new stuff. New stuff is exactly that.... new stuff. New technology with some type of cute badging or color scheme. It's a new car. I guess I like my cars because they are 60's era cars. That's what SAAC ( IMO ) is about. I like the fact that I can get in my 60's era car, hang my arm out the window at the right height, Make a lot of noise, grind through the gears with a really hard clutch pedal and get out smelling like racing gas. It's the experience of the car. Not the badging on a new car "carrying the heritage"...... the 60's car is the heritage. I yawn at all the new stuff now. The new technology cars are fun to drive in there bubble. I bought a Leguna Seca Boss 302 to have something with creature comforts and some modernness too it. But it's nothing like the 70 Boss 302 my father owned. It's a completely different animal. Not saying it's bad, but it's not the same........ I think that's why I glossed over the post-

They should. There's only 50 years of additional development on them however I'll point out the the current Mustang didn't get very far into the future.

It's a good thing I think Tony. My point was that there isn't too much higher to go even in 50 years when you were already on top of the hill?

Horespower was always available. The change is that now the manufacturers will waranty it.

Lots of interesting developments electronically but the biggest thing that held the '60s cars back was lack of good tires.

Fuel injection is a nice development also.

Pedigree literally means family story or family history. These cars have one heck of a lineage. Some people took 50 years to realize that they are thoroughbreds and what that means. Others shrug that off like it's a given that you can find anywhere?

I'm into retired racing Greyhounds as well. I've had a bunch that we've rescued. My current one has better lineage then the Queen of England. Here's the kicker...she lays in the dirt. The Queen doesn't.

It's great to own or be close to an ultimate but the cool thing is realizing it.
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

FL SAAC

I totally agree with you. Did notice we have common ground on a few subjects, our loyal furry friends being one. Let me share with you some useless information ;

Shelby 1/4 mile specs 

https://lmr.com/products/shelby-gt500-horsepower-specs-colors

Notice they have no information after 2014 as no 500s where built.  But I can vouch that the new models 15 up, with some slight suspension modifications, coupled with a gen five supercharger,  can easily achieve 900 + hp on pump gas hit 9s, 10s or 11s depending on heat, humidity, traction and still be very civil on the roads. I believe that performance wise the future looks real bright and as CS, I cant wait to welcome the next one

Getting back on topic, the Shelby Hertz tradition is dead, the legacy has ended...r.i.p.

Quote from: shelbydoug on May 03, 2019, 04:14:04 PM
Quote from: FL SAAC TONY on May 03, 2019, 03:11:30 PM
Good afternoon Doug,

Would you opine that to be a good circumstance or a bad circumstance ?

Quote from: shelbydoug on May 03, 2019, 01:51:04 PM
Quote from: FL SAAC TONY on May 03, 2019, 01:43:42 PM

It's a good thing I think Tony. My point was that there isn't too much higher to go even in 50 years when you were already on top of the hill?

Horespower was always available. The change is that now the manufacturers will waranty it.

Lots of interesting developments electronically but the biggest thing that held the '60s cars back was lack of good tires.

Fuel injection is a nice development also.

Pedigree literally means family story or family history. These cars have one heck of a lineage. Some people took 50 years to realize that they are thoroughbreds and what that means. Others shrug that off like it's a given that you can find anywhere?

I'm into retired racing Greyhounds as well. I've had a bunch that we've rescued. My current one has better lineage then the Queen of England. Here's the kicker...she lays in the dirt. The Queen doesn't.

It's great to own or be close to an ultimate but the cool thing is realizing it.

I totally agree with you. Did notice we have common ground on a few subjects, our loyal furry friends being one. Let me share with you some useless information ;

Shelby 1/4 mile specs

https://lmr.com/products/shelby-gt500-horsepower-specs-colors

Notice they have no information after 2014 as no 500s where built.  But I can vouch that the new models 15 up, with some slight suspension modifications, coupled with a gen five supercharger,  can easily achieve 900 + hp on pump gas hit 9s, 10s or 11s depending on heat, humidity, traction and still be very civil on the roads. I believe that performance wise the future looks real bright and as CS, I cant wait to welcome the next one

Getting back on topic, the Shelby Hertz tradition is dead, the legacy has ended...r.i.p.
Living RENT FREE in your minds

All Time Post Count King !

Home of the "Amazing Hertz 3 + 1 Musketeers"

FL SAAC Simply the Best, much Better than ALL the Rest.

I have all UNGOLD cars

I am certainly not a Shelby Expert

shelbydoug

I was recently seduced by a one year old Shelby GT500 convertible...almost.  All that leather sitting there with the scent obviously intended to call me to the clashing rocks? It was only 42 but wifey dragged me away to buy a Fusion.

It was calling to me. Obviously there was an opiate involved in the scent somewhere? I still have dreams. No morning wood with it though?  ;D

Oh...incidentally, my current Greyhound, Lu, formally know as Baby Bopp, raced at the track near Miami. Maybe you saw her race?
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

FL SAAC

I have all UNGOLD cars

When the S550 came out, I said to myself it has to get less ugly with the first refresh.

Nope. Started out looking like a Catfish, now looks like a Carp. Both are nasty bottom feeders.

FL SAAC

Quote from: 2112 on May 03, 2019, 10:30:34 PM
When the S550 came out, I said to myself it has to get less ugly with the first refresh.

Nope. Started out looking like a Catfish, now looks like a Carp. Both are nasty bottom feeders.

beauty is in the eye of the beholder, but you have to admit that these are the most responsive, fastest, best handling mustangs ever built.

a little tweaking here and there and you can actually embarrass one of those super cars.

what do they call those things, lamborweenies or fellalis

imagine that with a good old American car and they call them Mustangs !

I have all UNGOLD cars

FL SAAC

I have all UNGOLD cars

shelbydoug

It's hard to say if ANY current production cars will ever become "classics" so to speak? Only time will tell.

There is no longer any need for anyone to speak on behalf of the '60s versions. They no longer need any defense.

How many replicas are there going to continue to be made? Are there going to be replicas of 2019's made?

For one thing that tended to be a period of smooth style and grace. Currently we are in a counterculture of extreme angularity, brutality and sexual non-comitance. Again, only time will tell on that theme.

Describing classic beauty in a way is like attempting to describe talent. You kind of know it when you see it. So far as far as current cars are concerned, I'm still kind of looking. I haven't found "it" yet.
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

FL SAAC

Quote from: shelbydoug on May 04, 2019, 09:23:30 AM
It's hard to say if ANY current production cars will ever become "classics" so to speak? Only time will tell.

There is no longer any need for anyone to speak on behalf of the '60s versions. They no longer need any defense.

How many replicas are there going to continue to be made? Are there going to be replicas of 2019's made?

For one thing that tended to be a period of smooth style and grace. Currently we are in a counterculture of extreme angularity, brutality and sexual non-comitance. Again, only time will tell on that theme.

Describing classic beauty in a way is like attempting to describe talent. You kind of know it when you see it. So far as far as current cars are concerned, I'm still kind of looking. I haven't found "it" yet.

+ 1

this one could have been a contender....

on another note the durchess of sussex about to deliver, being streamed live on pay per view...

I have all UNGOLD cars

FL SAAC

new pictures of the new rental royalty...not

see you in 50 years

I have all UNGOLD cars

QuickSilverShelby

Quote from: ITHERTZ on May 03, 2019, 09:29:18 AM
Once they made the GTH, when H stood for Heritage I had my fill.  They milked that cow and then when the cow didn't have anything left, they found a new orifice to try.  The Hertz/Shelby connection was a real story back in '66 and again in 06.  Both those periods were filled with innovative new Shelby Mustang stories.  Both those periods bankrolled Shelby so that the Shelby Mustangs we know and love could even exist.  Perhaps this time it's the other way around.  An up and coming, relatively unknown rental car company will be looking to gain some exposure by using Shelby's name. 
Well said Troy.  I agree with what you say and I too, have had my fill of new Shelby and especially the GT-H.  The prices on these new 2016 and 2019 GT-H cars are ridiculous and there are so many "limited" models out there that it is laughable. 

The economy is great right now but the next downturn will train wreck all of the "exclusive" cars that are offered up by Shelby and other manufactures.

QSS

You miss 100% of the shots you don't take.

BGlover67

Who's going to be the first to show up with one at the next SAAC convention?  I'll vouch for you Troy at the rental counter if you need it.  ;)
Thanks,
Brian R. Glover
SAAC Carolina's Northern Representative

FL SAAC

Agree with Troy and QSS, it's all about making more money and marketing. Seems like everything today is special, 1 of 1, its blue, its green, its red, it's in a special registry etc. Folks have to acknowledge that what they own is a SVT mustang with Shelby badges, nothing more nothing less.  The SVT vehicles are terrific performers, but production has always been high and many have been put away since day one inside a climate control garage.

Quote from: QuickSilverShelby on May 06, 2019, 10:53:29 PM
Quote from: ITHERTZ on May 03, 2019, 09:29:18 AM
Once they made the GTH, when H stood for Heritage I had my fill.  They milked that cow and then when the cow didn't have anything left, they found a new orifice to try.  The Hertz/Shelby connection was a real story back in '66 and again in 06.  Both those periods were filled with innovative new Shelby Mustang stories.  Both those periods bankrolled Shelby so that the Shelby Mustangs we know and love could even exist.  Perhaps this time it's the other way around.  An up and coming, relatively unknown rental car company will be looking to gain some exposure by using Shelby's name. 
Well said Troy.  I agree with what you say and I too, have had my fill of new Shelby and especially the GT-H.  The prices on these new 2016 and 2019 GT-H cars are ridiculous and there are so many "limited" models out there that it is laughable. 

The economy is great right now but the next downturn will train wreck all of the "exclusive" cars that are offered up by Shelby and other manufactures.

QSS

I have all UNGOLD cars

FL SAAC

Please post pictures of the first one to show up for historical purposes !

Quote from: BGlover67 on May 07, 2019, 01:12:32 PM
Who's going to be the first to show up with one at the next SAAC convention?  I'll vouch for you Troy at the rental counter if you need it.  ;)

I have all UNGOLD cars

Don Johnston

Considering the limited rental locations and only 20 vehicles being built, it may be some time before we see one.  But despite all the comments, there will be interest in checking it out.  The rental will probably need new tires and brakes more frequently than any other rental car on the lot! 8)