News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

Was your car in a mimor front end bump? Steering wheel

Started by 67 GT350, May 05, 2019, 01:22:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

67 GT350

When I bought my beautiful 67 GT350, I was told that over the years, it was in a minor front end bump, so light as the nose and hood only needed a little repair. Now I do not know what exactly happened, but lets assume that there was a bump into the back of another car and it was hard enough that the person driving the car, slightly bumped into the steering wheel, the car got fixed and many years from that point is now.....

From what I have been told, the steering wheel may have broke the weld points at the spokes to the rim, from a chest hitting the wheel, but it was just a jolt that did not show any other damage.

One day, I got into my car to move it and I was not thinking and used the wheel to help assist me getting into the drivers seat, and that was enough to have this result.

The experts say that the wheel could have been broken for many years and never was pushed to the point of breaking until now. My question is, how many steering wheels are out there just like mine, that appeared to be mint, in the car, and showed not signs of breakage?

What if I was driving the car and that wheel snapped, night have been a problem? Don't you think?

It was funny at the time, but might not have been that funny! I hope to get it fixed and restored soon. The way I see it, is I was lucky!
RARE  Signature Delete

shelbydoug

Yikes! Just when I thought I had seen everything?
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

GT350DAVE

Many wheels are like that. A lot of them were broken when cars were being pushed. That is steering while pushing on the wheel when the car didn't run. The welds between the stainless and carbon steel didn't hold up very well.

Dave
Support the SAAC Registry

Richstang

I'm very glad to hear that didn't happen while driving.
:o
1967 Shelby Research Group 

www.1967ShelbyResearch.com
www.facebook.com/groups/1967shelbyresearch

1991-1993 SAAC MKI, MKII, & Snake Registrar