Author Topic: Back In The Day Mia-Ft Laud-WPB State of Florida  (Read 100887 times)

gt350hr

• Randy Gillis in real life - 5353 original posts
    • View Profile
   Thanks Tony ! yours photos are cool Keep 'em coming.
      Randy
Celebrating 46 years of drag racing 6S477 and no end in sight.

FL SAAC

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
much appreciated Sir

Thanks Tony ! yours photos are cool Keep 'em coming.
      Randy
Living RENT FREE in your minds...

Home of the Hertz Musketeers 

A person without a sense of humor is like a wagon without springs.  It's jolted by every pebble on the road

I have all UNGOLD cars

I am certainly not a Shelby Expert

Life is short B happy

FL SAAC

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
its 1960...

A person without a sense of humor is like a wagon without springs.  It's jolted by every pebble on the road

I have all UNGOLD cars

Life is short B happy

FL SAAC

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
last race

I have all UNGOLD cars

Life is short B happy

427heaven

• View Profile
   Tony ,
        It ran in the 8's with a big cube 460 based engine. Not sure if it made it into the 7's. Technically THE fastest real Shelby ( body anyway) there have been a couple of other 66s  that run 8's and 9s that are also highly modified chassis with real bodies. So far , I do not know of a "stock unibody" 66 that has a 9 second time slip. That's what I am chasing with my own 6S477. Stock unibody , no wheel tubs , 289 "style" block , No power adders, stock hood , in the 9s. Maybe Mid America this year. Maybe next year.
    Randy
Randy- Hope you get there. What are the outer limits of cubic inches in small block form? 440- 454 ;D

FL SAAC

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
you may be at.....the outer limits!

Tony ,
        It ran in the 8's with a big cube 460 based engine. Not sure if it made it into the 7's. Technically THE fastest real Shelby ( body anyway) there have been a couple of other 66s  that run 8's and 9s that are also highly modified chassis with real bodies. So far , I do not know of a "stock unibody" 66 that has a 9 second time slip. That's what I am chasing with my own 6S477. Stock unibody , no wheel tubs , 289 "style" block , No power adders, stock hood , in the 9s. Maybe Mid America this year. Maybe next year.
    Randy
Randy- Hope you get there. What are the outer limits of cubic inches in small block form? 440- 454 ;D

I have all UNGOLD cars

Life is short B happy

FL SAAC

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
So we are hanging out in the keys this weekend.  Going through the SAAC annual,  what a great publication. And I start reading this article on a Mr Randy Gillis and his Shelby. My mind transplants me to a few weeks ago where a Randy posted about his fast Shelby. Two plus two equals four, it's got to be one and the same. Holy smokes what an article, Mr. Gillis you rock. Thanks for living the dream, as CS said meant to be driven and driven you have !

Tony ,
    Randy
« Last Edit: February 24, 2019, 11:54:53 PM by FL SAAC TONY »

I have all UNGOLD cars

Life is short B happy

gt350hr

• Randy Gillis in real life - 5353 original posts
    • View Profile
  Thanks , I'm just doing what I enjoy. (52 years of racing now ,45 on that car alone)

427heaven ,    The biggest 8.200 deck height engine "I" know of  was made with a Dart iron block and was 409ci. It was a "dyno only" engine with an obscene 4.250 bore. The cylinder walls were paper thin and NOT practical for normal use.  380-390 ci can be had but it is allot of work. An 8.7 deck block could easily go over 400 , a 9.200 to 440 and a 9.5 "could" get close to 480 or so. A 10.29 ( 351M-400) could go bigger.
  Randy
Celebrating 46 years of drag racing 6S477 and no end in sight.

shelbymann1970

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
Re: Back In The Day Miami, Fort Lauderdale and West Palm Beach
« Reply #383 on: February 25, 2019, 04:22:45 PM »
Tony if you can convince the Powers That B to have a Convention in S Florida I’ll b there.
More and more memories Bro.
It’s never winter there so it could be anytime

the issue at hand is the long drive all the way into miami proper, once here its all fun and games.....

we usually fly into other state and rent a  vehicle then easily navigate through other states

that drive in or out of FL to GA and beyond .........................uuuuuggggghhhhhh...........................
Every year in the spring I go visit my mom in Jensen Beach. We fly into FLL. Rent a car. usually around midnight. Every year  we see something weird traveling up 95 to Stuart or hazards in the road. FLL is a good airport to use. MCO sucks. 
Shelby owner since 1984
SAAC member since 1990
1970 GT350 4 speed(owned since 1985).
  MCA gold 2003(not anymore)
1969 Mach1 428SCJ 4 speed R-code (owned since 2013)

shelbymann1970

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
stranger than fiction
could this be one of the 8 69 Trans Am verts? Highly doubt there would be clones  back then(think the rear spoiler might be diff between the coupes and verts?). Hey, I don't come on the forum as often as I would like and just found this topic-really cool Tony and thanks for all the cool pics and stories. Gary
Shelby owner since 1984
SAAC member since 1990
1970 GT350 4 speed(owned since 1985).
  MCA gold 2003(not anymore)
1969 Mach1 428SCJ 4 speed R-code (owned since 2013)

FL SAAC

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
Hi Gary,

Truly dont know, back in the day they where just transportation devices. In Miami Dade county proper, we had two hard tops and this convertible. The hard tops where located in the Kendale (SW Miami) area and in the Goulds ( war zone) area. The convertible was in the Miami Springs (at the time had 70% airline employees living in the city) area. We lost track of those cars and today do not know their whereabouts.

stranger than fiction
could this be one of the 8 69 Trans Am verts? Highly doubt there would be clones  back then(think the rear spoiler might be diff between the coupes and verts?). Hey, I don't come on the forum as often as I would like and just found this topic-really cool Tony and thanks for all the cool pics and stories. Gary

I have all UNGOLD cars

Life is short B happy

FL SAAC

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
big daddy at mhs

I have all UNGOLD cars

Life is short B happy

FL SAAC

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
thanks mack

I have all UNGOLD cars

Life is short B happy

FL SAAC

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
thanks mack

I have all UNGOLD cars

Life is short B happy

FL SAAC

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
thanks mack

I have all UNGOLD cars

Life is short B happy