Author Topic: To paint or not to paint?  (Read 4836 times)

charlie D

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
Re: To paint or not to paint?
« Reply #15 on: May 12, 2019, 12:15:22 PM »
Thanks for all the responses. Since the goal here is to have a driver that I can use for local shows and just going out for a drive, I think seeing what a good detailer can do sounds like a good place to start. Some of you requested some additional photos so they are attached. As for rust, don't ask me why, but it has escaped most of that. Yes, the battery tray and inner fender under it were rusted out so I replaced the tray and repaired the inner fender. No rocker or bottom of fender rot. Amazing since it sat outside for its first 10-12 years. Yes the cowl rusted and a body shop fixed that some years ago. The shine on the engine is because I could not get the stains from years of mouse droppings and urine out, so I decided to just wire brush the surfaces to clean them up. Again, driver. Thanks again. Second post has 4 more photos.
Charlie D

charlie D

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 12, 2019, 12:19:42 PM »
A few more photos. Someone said MSD distributors stand out like a clown's nose, they are right. Even I would prefer a black cap.

• SAAC Member
  • Fox Island, WA
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 12, 2019, 12:36:08 PM »
Very nice!

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
  • Original Posts:14706
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 12, 2019, 01:00:48 PM »
A few more photos. Someone said MSD distributors stand out like a clown's nose, they are right. Even I would prefer a black cap.
[/color] Then paint it black. Been there done that. FYI Kylon has spray can semi gloss black made for plastics at your local hardware store. That will reduce the in your face effect.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Richstang

• View Profile
    • 1967 Shelby Research Group
« Reply #19 on: May 12, 2019, 06:25:59 PM »
All good points mentioned here to be considered given the driver car status. Since it is not original paint you are not doing anything sacrilegious. Detail first ,the worst of what remains you can consider trying to minimize by blending etc. Just another opinion based on experience with the marque . Best of luck with what ever you decide.

Charlie,
I agree with most of what has been already said. Bob sums it all up nicely.
Thanks for sharing the photos of that very nice GT500!
1967 Shelby Research Group 

www.1967ShelbyResearch.com
www.facebook.com/groups/1967shelbyresearch

1991-1993 SAAC MKI, MKII, & Snake Registrar

Steve McDonald Formally known as Mcdonas

• SAAC Member
  • “Drive it like you stole it”
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 12, 2019, 06:26:42 PM »
+1
Owned since 1971, now driven over 245,000 miles, makes me smile every time I drive it and it makes me feel 21 again.😎

69mach351w

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 12, 2019, 08:01:29 PM »
+1 ;)

Thanks for sharing this awesome piece of Carroll Shelby history!!

Corey Bowcutt

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 12, 2019, 10:52:01 PM »
Charlie, since we are neighbors I hope to see that car in person some day. You need to bring it to a Sunday morning cars and coffee in Annapolis.
Corey

• 1967 gt500 since 82 NFS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 12, 2019, 10:55:57 PM »
Cool car..

stangman39

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 13, 2019, 12:24:54 PM »
Car looks great.  I would drive it as is and enjoy it.

mark p

• SAAC Member
  • south NJ - Philly 'burbs
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 13, 2019, 12:45:38 PM »
All good points mentioned here to be considered given the driver car status. Since it is not original paint you are not doing anything sacrilegious. Detail first ,the worst of what remains you can consider trying to minimize by blending etc. Just another opinion based on experience with the marque . Best of luck with what ever you decide.

Charlie,
I agree with most of what has been already said. Bob sums it all up nicely.
Thanks for sharing the photos of that very nice GT500!

+ [anther] 1
"I don't know what the world may need, but a V8 engine's a good start for me" (from Teen Angst by the band "Cracker")

66 Tiger / 65 Thunderbird