News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

Hipo Carburetor on Ebay buyer beware

Started by Bob Gaines, May 08, 2019, 04:22:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bob Gaines

A very knowledgeable Ford  guy Fred Ballard (fuelpump guy) brought attention to a bogus hipo carb up for auction on the Concours Mustang Forum .  http://www.concoursmustang.com/forum/index.php?topic=20309.new#new   The seller has adv on here on the SAAC forum before. I have had issues with misleading descriptions he has had on Ebay. In the past when I brought the discrepancy to his attention and was ignored regardless of my back up documentation. Buyer beware .
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

gt350hr

I agree on the Pony Carburetors  clone idea. And am 100% on board with a C4OF-AL never receiving a C5OF-L tag .
  Randy
Celebrating 46 years of drag racing 6S477 and no end in sight.

Bigfoot

RIP KIWI
RIP KIWI

Bob Gaines

Quote from: Bigfoot on May 08, 2019, 05:12:42 PM
That name rings a bell
It should . He has sold a lot of parts on here before. Of course not all of his auctions have description issues.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

acman63

Pretty sure he bought this on ebay a few months back for like $800 and change
SAAC Concours Chairman

Owner Shelby Parts and Restoration Since 1977

SAAC original first year member

Fast Fords

I am posting a few pictures of a C4OF-AL hipo carb that I have. Can you tell me if it is a real one because I bought it from an oldtimer who had owned it for many years and it also has the C5OF  L tag on it also.

Thanks in advance for your help....Greg.

69mach351w

One of the first things to notice on a true original C4OF-AL is the stop seen here circled in light blue on your carburetor.

All Fake hipo's I've seen do not have this stop.

Fast Fords

Thanks for the reply. So, I guess someone added that tag to the carb ?

Bob Gaines

Quote from: Fast Fords on May 08, 2019, 11:01:32 PM
Thanks for the reply. So, I guess someone added that tag to the carb ?
More importantly the ebay carb doesn't have the stop on the choke side. A tag can be added .The stop can not. The ebay carb is a obvious fake because of the missing stop.

67350#1242

Booster ID numbers for the correct carb are M and BA.   Don't know why he would post those pics if he knew they were wrong.    The toe stamping also looks suspiciously neat.   Looks like a lot of blast media has found its way into the booster venturis and probably all the other cavities of the carb.
67 GT350  SJ 02/01/67  Gray 4spd A/C
67 Coupe  SJ 11/16/66  White Auto A/C PDB

Bob Gaines

Quote from: Fast Fords on May 08, 2019, 08:56:19 PM
I am posting a few pictures of a C4OF-AL hipo carb that I have. Can you tell me if it is a real one because I bought it from an oldtimer who had owned it for many years and it also has the C5OF  L tag on it also.

Your carb is genuine the ebay carb is fake.

gt350hr

Quote from: Fast Fords on May 08, 2019, 08:56:19 PM

"I" fully agree with Bob and others your carb is genuine . The "other" indicators are there as well. BUT I do not accept the C5OF-L tag as being original to your carb. THE only way "I" could see this happening is IF it was a "reman" from GPD ( Fords authorized rebuilder) as a rebuilt carb.
  These 4100 carbs were built under contract by Holley and the original tag matched the stamped on carb ID number. "I" have never seen an original that didn't. If five more have the mis matched tag , I might be convinced.
   Respectfully,
     Randy
Celebrating 46 years of drag racing 6S477 and no end in sight.

Dan Case

A slide I created for another discussion.

Dan Case
1964 Cobra owner since 1983, Cobra crazy since I saw my first one in the mid 1960s in Huntsville, AL.

6s1640

You also want to have the correct top.  There is an absent vent tube on the choke side and the casting is not drilled for vent.  I will post an image later if no one beats me to it.  The absent feature can be seen in the images from Fast Fords.  The absent feature can be recreated by remoivng the tube and welding and smoothing the hole.  Unlike what Dan described, the choke stop cannot be recreated.

Cory

sg66

Quote from: 6s1640 on May 09, 2019, 07:18:05 PM
You also want to have the correct top.  There is an absent vent tube on the choke side and the casting is not drilled for vent.  I will post an image later if no one beats me to it.  The absent feature can be seen in the images from Fast Fords.  The absent feature can be recreated by remoivng the tube and welding and smoothing the hole.  Unlike what Dan described, the choke stop cannot be recreated.

Cory
I have a HiPo carb sitting under my desk so took a shot circled in blue of undrilled casting. Image circled in red is a non HiPo unit with vent tube mentioned by Cory. I seem to recall that Pony Carbs would alter these tops on their clones