Author Topic: Vent Window Rubber 65-68  (Read 11215 times)

BGlover67

• SAAC Member
  • Formerly "My Shelby Dream"
    • View Profile
Vent Window Rubber 65-68
« on: February 12, 2018, 09:33:11 AM »
I just spoke with my restorer about rechromimg/ replacing glass/and new rubber seals for my vent windows.  He felt pretty strongly that the current reproduction vent window rubbers are less than desirable,  :o  and to hold out for NOS if possible.  Is there a good reproduction seal using original Ford tooling, or does everyone just  go NOS if they are serious about doing the job right?
Thanks,
Brian R. Glover
SAAC Carolina's Northern Representative

KR Convertible

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
Re: Vent Window Rubber 65-68
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2018, 10:26:17 AM »
Brian,

I might have a pair of NOS vent window seals for 65/66.  I believe they are the same.  Let me see if I can track them down.

Paul

CharlesTurner

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2018, 10:53:26 AM »
Vent window seals are different between 65-66 and 67-68.  65-66 is 2 pieces, 67-68 is 1 piece.

I also recommend NOS.
Charles Turner
MCA/SAAC Judge

KR Convertible

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2018, 11:09:32 AM »
Thanks Charles.  Sorry Brian.

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
  • Original Posts:14706
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2018, 12:19:05 PM »
I just spoke with my restorer about rechromimg/ replacing glass/and new rubber seals for my vent windows.  He felt pretty strongly that the current reproduction vent window rubbers are less than desirable,  :o  and to hold out for NOS if possible.  Is there a good reproduction seal using original Ford tooling, or does everyone just  go NOS if they are serious about doing the job right?
If you are talking about the frames the glass sits in the only thing that is chrome is the pivot. The frame is stainless. Many people including the repro companies re chrome the entire stainless frame along with the pivot. If you don't care about factory details this short cut look will work if however you are trying to do all of your details like the factory and or entering concours you will be disappointed. it is one of the things that stands out to concours judges and knowledgeable enthusiasts. If re chroming the diecast frame that the glass w stainless frame sits in extra care has to be done when re chroming . Many times the chrome plater polishes the triangle cut detail in the lower front to a point where it is highly diminished if not removed. The good ones will re cut the triangle so that it is distinct like original after chroming .
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby