Author Topic: Old Magazine Ads & Artwork  (Read 4758 times)

Chris Thauberger

• SAAC Member
  • Enjoy the Anthropocene, it's almost over.
    • View Profile
    • No man can tell whether he is rich or poor by turning to his ledger. It is in the heart that makes a man rich. He is rich according to what he is, not according to what he has
Old Magazine Ads & Artwork
« on: May 09, 2019, 06:24:30 AM »

« Last Edit: October 04, 2019, 06:19:54 PM by Chris Thauberger »

Chris Thauberger

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
    • No man can tell whether he is rich or poor by turning to his ledger. It is in the heart that makes a man rich. He is rich according to what he is, not according to what he has
Re: Old Ad Artwork
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2019, 06:24:38 AM »

Chris Thauberger

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2019, 06:24:47 AM »

Chris Thauberger

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2019, 06:24:55 AM »

FL SAAC TONY

• SAAC Member
  • original posts more than McDonalds over 1 billlion
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2019, 08:23:32 AM »
These cars are meant to be driven, so enjoy the hell out of all of it. Not just the look of it when its all clean. Carroll Shelby

A person without a sense of humor is like a wagon without springs. It's jolted by every pebble on the road.

Florida S.A.A.C. diverse and inclusive.

Bill Collins

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2019, 10:55:54 AM »

This artwork was used by AMT models as the box art for the original issue of their '68 GT500 kit in 1968. The artwork setting is an actual place - the entrance to the Turf Club at Hollywood Park thoroughbred horse racing track in Los Angeles. The piece was likely inspired by an early '68 Shelby promotional photo taken there in the summer of 1967. That photo can be seen on the Styles Collection web site - the link is https://stylescollection.zenfolio.com/p359848467/h6d40915#h52cabbb

This kit also contained a record of Carroll Shelby narrating driving a lap around Riverside Raceway in the '67 Super Snake GT00. Here is a link to hear the record:
https://www.discogs.com/No-Artist-AMT-Presents-Carroll-Shelby-And-The-Sound-Of-The-Cobra-/release/872553

FL SAAC TONY

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2019, 11:22:12 AM »

This artwork was used by AMT models as the box art for the original issue of their '68 GT500 kit in 1968. The artwork setting is an actual place - the entrance to the Turf Club at Hollywood Park thoroughbred horse racing track in Los Angeles. The piece was likely inspired by an early '68 Shelby promotional photo taken there in the summer of 1967. That photo can be seen on the Styles Collection web site - the link is https://stylescollection.zenfolio.com/p359848467/h6d40915#h52cabbb

This kit also contained a record of Carroll Shelby narrating driving a lap around Riverside Raceway in the '67 Super Snake GT00. Here is a link to hear the record:
https://www.discogs.com/No-Artist-AMT-Presents-Carroll-Shelby-And-The-Sound-Of-The-Cobra-/release/872553

bill, thanks for the info. knew i had seen it somewhere else

let me click on brians site, thanks again
These cars are meant to be driven, so enjoy the hell out of all of it. Not just the look of it when its all clean. Carroll Shelby

A person without a sense of humor is like a wagon without springs. It's jolted by every pebble on the road.

propayne

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2019, 11:36:48 AM »
Ewww, this thread is right up my alley.

In fact, the first two posts are scans that I made from my collection. The first being a Ford Annual Report and the second from an issue of Sports Car Graphic. That Cougar illustration is a two page spread and it took me awhile to remove the "gutter" in Photoshop.

Speaking of AMT box art, below is a scan I made of an original illustration that I couldn't resist purchasing when it became available.

- Phillip

« Last Edit: May 09, 2019, 01:26:15 PM by propayne »
President, Delmarva Cougar Club - Brand Manager, Cougar Club of America

tesgt350

• View Profile
    • FRIENDS OF THE HAWK
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2019, 12:02:40 PM »

Any Idea about the 508 on the back of his Jacket?

tesgt350

• View Profile
    • FRIENDS OF THE HAWK
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2019, 12:03:12 PM »

Anyone else notice the 66 Shelby 10 Spokes?

propayne

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2019, 01:20:10 PM »

Any Idea about the 508 on the back of his Jacket?

I think the setting for that illustration is some sort of a horse show or competition and the # on the jacket has to do with that.

- Phillip

propayne

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2019, 01:23:19 PM »
One of my all-time favorites - more than likely a George Bartell.

- Phillip

« Last Edit: May 09, 2019, 05:26:33 PM by propayne »

propayne

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2019, 01:25:09 PM »
And we wonder why the average car enthusiast thinks the '67 Shelby's came with Le Mans stripes...

- Phillip

JD

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2019, 01:57:34 PM »
Phillip thanks for the two '67 ad illustrations, the second one is clear enough to see the upper scoop lights on the two Shelby's.

'67 Shelby Headlight Bucket Grommets http://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=254.0
'67 Shelby Lower Grille Edge Protective Strip http://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=1237.0

FL SAAC TONY

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2019, 02:00:41 PM »
+ 1
Ewww, this thread is right up my alley.

In fact, the first two posts are scans that I made from my collection. The first being a Ford Annual Report and the second from an issue of Sports Car Graphic. That Cougar illustration is a two page spread and it took me awhile to remove the "gutter" in Photoshop.

Speaking of AMT box art, below is a scan I made of an original illustration that I couldn't resist purchasing when it became available.

- Phillip