Author Topic: 69 GT350 Automatic kick down linkage  (Read 1939 times)

SChatman

• View Profile
69 GT350 Automatic kick down linkage
« on: May 11, 2019, 11:50:13 PM »
Any thoughts on restoring the look of the aluminum kick down rod for the automatic transmission in my 69 GT350?

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
  • Original Posts:14706
    • View Profile
Re: 69 GT350 Automatic kick down linkage
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2019, 12:37:58 AM »
Any thoughts on restoring the look of the aluminum kick down rod for the automatic transmission in my 69 GT350?
The one that came from the factory is steel not aluminum . It should be zinc Dichromate plated.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

SChatman

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2019, 11:23:16 PM »
Thank you Bob, I thought it was Aluminum. I should have realized it was too heavy and had to be steel. Any suggestions on refinishing? I checked Eastwood and they just list zinc plating or zinc phosphate. Also, replacing the bushings at each end of the linkage?

J_Speegle

• SAAC Member
  • Just here to help :)
    • View Profile
    • ConcoursMustang.com
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2019, 11:46:40 PM »
Thank you Bob, I thought it was Aluminum. I should have realized it was too heavy and had to be steel. Any suggestions on refinishing? I checked Eastwood and they just list zinc plating or zinc phosphate. Also, replacing the bushings at each end of the linkage?

Your not going a do it yourself kit for zinc dichromate. If you do the vast majority of us would recommend against it. Chemicals will possibly (not a doctor or play one any longer) shorten your life span so you might consider just sending it to a plating company
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
  • Original Posts:14706
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2019, 12:05:51 AM »
It can be done but not with a eastwood kit. A home plating is not economically feasible for one part. The tank needed to dip the part in has to be quite large and full of expensive chemical. A better suggestion would be to have it done commercially.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

shelbymann1970

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2019, 08:01:08 AM »
check around depending on where you live. It isn't that expensive and usually bulk. So get a few parts together that you want plated. nuts, Bolts, alt fans, some pulleys, etc as it is one price usually and what ever they can fit in their cage. At least that has been my experience. Gary
Shelby owner since 1984
SAAC member since 1990
1970 GT350 4 speed(owned since 1985).
  MCA gold 2003(not anymore)
1969 Mach1 428SCJ 4 speed R-code (owned since 2013)

J_Speegle

• SAAC Member
  • Just here to help :)
    • View Profile
    • ConcoursMustang.com
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2019, 02:11:37 PM »
check around depending on where you live. It isn't that expensive and usually bulk. So get a few parts together that you want plated. nuts, Bolts, alt fans, some pulleys, etc as it is one price usually and what ever they can fit in their cage. At least that has been my experience. Gary

In addition you can do multiples then picked the ones that turn out the best and sell the other freshly plated ones to others than don't want to go through the hassle or plate multiple items.   Might just pay for it all that way or at least make a good dent in the overall cost

Just something that has worked for others in these situations
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

SChatman

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2019, 09:11:15 PM »
Thanks guys, I appreciate the help.