News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

Out of my wheel house/ trans-am

Started by Coralsnake, May 12, 2019, 10:25:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Coralsnake

Someone here knows 1967/68 trans-am cars....

Is there a reproduction of the rear disc brake caliper mounting bracket?

cbrown

Ray Bonthron, would know.  He has my boss 302 race car right now.  He is the expert in trans am stuff. He was the guy the did a lot of the stuff for mike mulcahy.  He is a member  of the site.   IF you don't find him pete email mail me later . I have his number at the shop.

chris

Coralsnake

Thanks CBrown

Are you going to IN SF ?

cbrown

Yes  sir!!! Gona  be more 69 shelbys there than SAAC ever thought about.  lol  Rarest of the rare will be there...  Mecum Friday and brown county on Saturday...   

chris

Bob Gaines

Quote from: Coralsnake on May 12, 2019, 10:25:40 AM

I know enough to be dangerous. I don't know how exact to original specs it is but I think Cobra Automotive has something. They make the brackets for the big front brakes in 68 too. FYI the 67's had drum brakes . In 68 it became legal to run discs in the back .Probably had to do with the modified  bodywork allowed front and back for wider tires. Big T bird brakes in front allowed probably for the same reason Many of the 67's were converted to 68 specs at that time so that they would be competitive in the 68 season.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Coralsnake

J_Speegle

Agreed - 67 were not originally built with rear disk just drums. Of course allot of stuff was changed as years past and teams did their own things to compete
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

shelbydoug

That bracket would take the front 67 K-H calipers. There is no parking brake with that set up.
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

Bob Gaines

Quote from: shelbydoug on May 12, 2019, 12:29:54 PM
That bracket would take the front 67 K-H calipers. There is no parking brake with that set up.
The 68's used the single piston front caliper moved to the rear same with 69. I am guessing that the converted to 68 specs 67 models typically ran the 68 brakes in the rear too instead of reinventing the wheel and for consistency. Not to say that the 67 calipers couldn't be made to run in the rear because they can .
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

shelbydoug

Part of the value of running the 67 4 piston calipers is because they have better clamping power. Using a single piston caliper doesn't distribute the load to the pad backing plate as evenly. The backing plates bend.

You can make an adapter for virtually any combination and depending on what racing season the car was last run in would probably determine exactly what combination you would find on the car. There weren't exactly any Concourse Judges involed with T/A cars.

The standard that I use (if there is such a thing) is what Shelby American delivered it with new. Those are only '67s. There are two 8D '68s but those are '67s that were renumbered.

The Bud Moore cars were different in many respects then the Kar Kraft Boss 302's are. I think that more then any other car, one needs to qualify which of the T/A cars "you" are referring too?

Personally, me, after researching the brakes as well as I could, I went with the '67 "Big Ford/Lincoln" K-H 4 piston calipers with the 12" x 1.25" vented rotors with a '76 Lincoln Versailles rear 9" set up. The only change I went to was to go to 31 spline Strange forged axles.

The Lincoln pumpkin is 2" narrower allowing larger rear tires without modifying the wheel wells. It uses no adapter to break. It uses huge rear mounting bolts and much heftier housings that were ever used in T/A and has a parking brake which actually works sometimes?  ;D

Was it raced by the factory team in '67? No, but it could have been run by an independent in '76. It certainly would qualify. It says Ford all over and has 76 casting dates.

"You" need to qualify which "team" you are talking about with the T/A cars.
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

Bob Gaines

Quote from: shelbydoug on May 12, 2019, 01:45:27 PM
Part of the value of running the 67 4 piston calipers is because they have better clamping power. Using a single piston caliper doesn't distribute the load to the pad backing plate as evenly. The backing plates bend.

You can make an adapter for virtually any combination and depending on what racing season the car was last run in would probably determine exactly what combination you would find on the car. There weren't exactly any Concourse Judges involed with T/A cars.

The standard that I use (if there is such a thing) is what Shelby American delivered it with new. Those are only '67s. There are two 8D '68s but those are '67s that were renumbered.

The Bud Moore cars were different in many respects then the Kar Kraft Boss 302's are. I think that more then any other car, one needs to qualify which of the T/A cars "you" are referring too?

Personally, me, after researching the brakes as well as I could, I went with the '67 "Big Ford/Lincoln" K-H 4 piston calipers with the 12" x 1.25" vented rotors with a '76 Lincoln Versailles rear 9" set up. The only change I went to was to go to 31 spline Strange forged axles.

The Lincoln pumpkin is 2" narrower allowing larger rear tires without modifying the wheel wells. It uses no adapter to break. It uses huge rear mounting bolts and much heftier housings that were ever used in T/A and has a parking brake which actually works sometimes?  ;D

Was it raced by the factory team in '67? No, but it could have been run by an independent in '76. It certainly would qualify. It says Ford all over and has 76 casting dates.

"You" need to qualify which "team" you are talking about with the T/A cars.
Just some more thoughts. Race cars were built a typical way back in the day depending on the day/month/year of it's racing introduction. They evolved depending on what worked best that was allowed and legal at the time. Some times they used what the car came with from Ford. A example is the shifter. they didn't try to reinvent the wheel. The Ford shifter was used on the majority of the competition cars from 65 all the way up to 69 when the Hurst shifter started to be used.    Just making the example to show one of the contributing factors of why maybe the single piston calipers would have been used like they did instead of using the 67 Mustang 4 piston caliper . It is well documented that it was done with the single piston 68-70 caliper in the 68,69 and 70 TA season . Restorers typically build cars back to their most significant time in history. Figuring out what was the most significant time in a given race cars history can sometimes be a hard decision.  If you want to talk about what was done back in the day there is quite a bit of information out there. Race cars that are built to historical race configuration don't necessarily fit neatly into any concours category because there were variations depending on what window in time it was trying to mimic. It is easier with the street cars because they are typically judged in day 1 trim.  If you want to talk about about what works best now on a race /track car 50 years plus after the fact including using relatively modern parts and assemblies then that would be a good subject for a different thread for people wanting to modify their car for street or track today.

TransamEd

BTW The #1509 FIA Papers list those optional disc brake kits for the 68 T/A season as S8MR-2025-A. It may help to find the mounting bracket.

https://historicdb.fia.com/sites/default/files/car_attachment/1486836002/homologation_form_number_1509_group_2.pdf
Here is a pic of #1 Titus 1968 car published in the SCG1968

shelbydoug

;D

Looks like 67 K-H four piston front Mustang calipers to me?

The adapter is probably just 1/4" steel plate bolted in place of the drum backing plates? Everyone just presumes that it was taken off of an existing production vehicle but it's simpler to use a piece of plate steel in many cases.

The front adapter was a Kar Kraft part machined for the application out of a piece of billet steel.

As a previous request of the OP, I'll refrain from mentioning Concourse correct parts.
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

1109RWHP

Quote from: Coralsnake on May 12, 2019, 10:25:40 AM

As far as I know, there is not. I have never heard of it being mentioned.

Coralsnake