News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

Wonder if anyone can help. Rebuilding a T10

Started by pmustang, May 14, 2019, 11:24:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hertzdonut

pmustang

I will but don't be afraid to chase for a reply as I am so busy I don't know which way is up. Hit me with an PM and will be happy to post here with a result if I forget to update on my own. Cheers. peter

gt350hr

Peter ,
      You are welcome to PM me anytime and I'll walk you through the job.
    Randy
Celebrating 46 years of drag racing 6S477 and no end in sight.

pmustang

Hmmm

2 bearings are incorrect size and of the 3 blockers, 2 are one style and one another

Thanks Randy, very much appreciated

pmustang

Maddening.  Ordered new shift forks as the ones in the trans are heavily worn.  Installed them and shift into first and the box locks up.  Old forks, shifts perfect.  New forks 20 thousands thicker than unworn portion of old forks

Nothing is ever easy:-)

mark p

Quote from: pmustang on June 19, 2019, 11:47:36 AM
Maddening....  Nothing is ever easy:-)

"Ain't that the truth"  ::)
Ugh. Sorry to hear about the extra difficulties, good luck getting everything right.
"I don't know what the world may need, but a V8 engine's a good start for me" (from Teen Angst by the band "Cracker")

66 Tiger / 65 Thunderbird

gt350hr

Quote from: pmustang on June 03, 2019, 10:20:13 AM
Hmmm

2 bearings are incorrect size and of the 3 blockers, 2 are one style and one another

Thanks Randy, very much appreciated

Don't thank me , I didn't make the kit .

pmustang

Hello Randy, Obviously I meant thank you for the offer of help :-)

I may have been better off buying a Munci rebuild kit for how many parts have been wrong in this one.

gt350hr

OK  thanks. It is disappointing that vendors can't get things right.  The problem is compounded when you are located outside of the USA. Good luck with finishing it!
       Randy

pmustang

Hello

Getting distraught now.....:-)

Hope someone can help

I was going to speak directly to Randy but maybe others can learn from my woes

So to start. 65 GT Fastback, 289/T10

Car drove impeccably and shifted perfect. Maybe in the top 5% of all of them in comparison. I sell these cars so drive alot of them

BUT, was popping out of gear while driving, Not during accel or decel. Just while driving

So it was suggested either the detents on the back of the cover were worn or a rebuild was needed

I ordered a rebuild kit.

Trans was opened and the detents were perfect. Solid and held excellent when moved

Internals of the trans looked near new. No discernable difference between old syncro rings and new. Not a mark on them.

So new syncros installed, New needle bearings installed on layshaft. (couldn't use bearings as they were wrong size)

NOTE: shift forks heavily worn!!!

So bought new shift forks, They are considerably wider than old forks (in the non worn area) When installed the gearbox would stick and not come out of gear. 3rd gear I believe. This was on the bench not in the car

This part will get me in trouble. Reinstalled old shift forks, installed box in the car.

If you are very deliberate shifting and after 2nd you let the gear stick self-center you can get into third and forth. But if you drive like any normal person and don't give a 2 second wait after second it either sticks in second or sticks in third and jambs up. If it sticks in second you get a BOOM and it pops out and you can shift again, If you shift at any fast rate the gear knob wont go into third

Feel free to abuse me for not having the guy sort the shift forks

Any other suggestions? Do you think its the shift forks? Something internal in the trans? or the older slightly worn action of the shifter?

Any suggestions most appreciated. Reminder, This box shifted perfectly (aside from popping out of gear) before my guys touched it.

Thanks, Peter Cavallo

Shelby_r_b

Hey Peter,

Have you tried contacting David Kee? Here's his website:

https://www.4speedtoploaders.com/

A buddy of mine just turned me onto him and said that he's rebuilt 4 toploaders and an aluminum T-10 for him. David is masterful from what I've heard, and he makes all his own parts for the entire transmission. He might be worth a call to help with troubleshooting or ordering parts. I'm going to use him for a T-10 that is popping out of 2nd gear when not accelerating.

Hope this helps! ☺️

Nothing beats a classic!

pmustang

That's a damn good idea.  Thank you

To be honest I order my Toploader rebuild kits from him and never thought T10S would be his bag

Regards.  PETER

gt350hr

Peter,
    All that is needed to stop the popping out of gear is use of the 'hooked" sliders.  This latest issue sounds like the shifter is not adjusted correctly. Is there anything that could be limiting the shift / gear engagement?
   Randy

pmustang

Hello Folks

I asked david Kee and his words were basically he doesnt have anything to do with them as parts are hard to find and even after rebuild they tend to pop out of gear

So an update. I had another guy look at it and his feeling was that the shifter mechanism was worn out. It was fairly loose, levers rattled around a bit.

So today I swapped the shifter base for a very good used unit
Nice and tight

Immediately the shifting action felt awesome. Took the car for a ride and probably went five miles without an issue. Full acelleration1-2-3-4 shifting, fast, slow. Excellent

Then slowed down and shifted into second and would not go in, then went in and wouldn't come out.  It finally came out and performed perfect again

I then had a coworker drive the car.  Maybe five 1-2-3-4 shiftsnin it did the same thing, either wouldn't go in 2nd gear or stuck in 2nd gear. Then Bang, comes out of 2nd and shifts fine again

pmustang

Thanks Randy for your comments

It's no longer popping out of gear as it was previously

I am wondering if you are right and maybe the rods are hanging up on something

The shifterwas set up with a 1/4 rod and in neutral