Author Topic: Yellow paint?  (Read 2031 times)

shelbydoug

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
Yellow paint?
« on: May 15, 2019, 11:32:48 AM »
On the back of the rear seat panels and under the infamous Charcoal Black Metallic, is a yellow substance.

I initially presumed that it was a primer sealer to enable use of the infamous top coat. I'm not sure though? Is this a primer or the color of the resin in the fiberglass?

I'm trying to figure out what and how I should strip off the "black". It's on really good and maybe just spray over it?
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
  • Original Posts:14706
    • View Profile
Re: Yellow paint?
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2019, 01:54:18 PM »
On the back of the rear seat panels and under the infamous Charcoal Black Metallic, is a yellow substance.

I initially presumed that it was a primer sealer to enable use of the infamous top coat. I'm not sure though? Is this a primer or the color of the resin in the fiberglass?

I'm trying to figure out what and how I should strip off the "black". It's on really good and maybe just spray over it?
That reminds me of the funny skit in the movie "used cars' where Rudy tells the little old lady that it wasn't a taxi but "yellow primer" she is seeing in spots.One of my all time favorite Kurt Kurt Russell movies. yellow contact cement was used extensively through out. Maybe some got spilled.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

shelbydoug

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2019, 01:56:48 PM »

That reminds me of the funny skit in the movie "used cars' where Rudy tells the little old lady that it wasn't a taxi but "yellow primer" she is seeing in spots.One of my all time favorite Kurt Kurt Russell movies. yellow contact cement was used extensively through out. Maybe some got spilled.

Better, when Jack Warden is deceased and put behind the steering wheel..."here he comes now!"

OK. I see. Pictures are in order? You making me get up from my chair to go take pictures? Hum. I'll remember that? >:(

OK. it's not yellow in the sunlight. Must be the effect of the grey rocks behind it. It's greenish. Is that a primer, gel coat or color of the resin?

There's a chip on the front too that is showing grey in the sunlight. It actually looks like grey primer to me?

What'da I know about colors? I thought a 6U was white and 34DD was my interior color code?

I always thought the grey was faded black. Honest. It clearly shows as grey in the sunlight. Gee-se! I've got a headache now from this? I need a nap.  :o
« Last Edit: May 15, 2019, 02:55:22 PM by shelbydoug »
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

papa scoops

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2019, 11:51:14 AM »
that is just the color of the plastic. not painted. phred

Coralsnake

• SAAC Member
  • The original Influencer
    • View Profile
    • theCoralsnake.com
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2019, 12:16:08 PM »
Agreed, Color of the fiberglass .

Actually, I think that is parchment, er it could be white.  ;)

shelbydoug

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2019, 01:10:22 PM »

Parchment? Who let him in here?  :o
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

Richstang

• View Profile
    • 1967 Shelby Research Group
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2019, 12:06:46 AM »

You had to go there.
 :P
1967 Shelby Research Group 

www.1967ShelbyResearch.com
www.facebook.com/groups/1967shelbyresearch

1991-1993 SAAC MKI, MKII, & Snake Registrar