Author Topic: Seam Sealer on Drip Rail  (Read 3458 times)

motorhead428

• View Profile
Seam Sealer on Drip Rail
« on: May 15, 2019, 09:47:51 PM »
We are getting real close to painting our 67 GT500.  I was reviewing Jeff Speegle's  Restoration Support document and noticed that the drip rails above the door window's need Seam Sealer. Because the body was blasted which removed the sealer, I don't know what size bead would be appropriate. His document does says to use self leveling but I could use a picture or two as a guide. Any help or suggestions would be appreciated. Thank You Rick

johnsshelby

• View Profile
Re: Seam Sealer on Drip Rail
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2019, 09:46:32 AM »
I am thinking same as you. I don't know the proper sealer to use, my car is painted without sealer in the drip rails.

cbrown

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2019, 11:14:48 AM »
3m 5887

chris

J_Speegle

• SAAC Member
  • Just here to help :)
    • View Profile
    • ConcoursMustang.com
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2019, 01:30:34 PM »
3m 5887

+1  Not sure if its the same thing but many have used 3M Firm and Fast for years. They are always changing names and numbers it seems
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

johnsshelby

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2019, 06:45:56 PM »
Thank you guys.

cascade-classics

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2019, 12:42:25 PM »
Are you sure about that number?   According to the 3M Website 5887 is "a flexible two part epoxy material designed for use in the repair of flexible and semi-rigid plastic parts".

CharlesTurner

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2019, 02:23:48 PM »
Might want to check with the place you're buying primer/paint for the car and ask their opinion.  Would hate to lay on a pretty paint job and the paint curls where the sealer was applied.  The original stuff was a dense pinkish/whitish material, believe the same used on the cowl lip/edge.
Charles Turner
MCA/SAAC Judge

J_Speegle

• SAAC Member
  • Just here to help :)
    • View Profile
    • ConcoursMustang.com
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2019, 03:51:05 PM »
Product I was referring to is

3M Fast 'N Firm Seam Sealer 08505

Do agree that it’s always good to check with your painter and reflect on what products it will be going over and under and if all of them are compatible
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

cbrown

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2019, 07:41:08 AM »
I use 5887. It is really easy to use and is self leveling so it lays out really smooth

Yes it is a flexible bumper repair but works good for me. You don’t have to go back over and smooth out.