Author Topic: Early GT500 Breathers  (Read 2990 times)

motorhead428

• View Profile
Early GT500 Breathers
« on: February 12, 2018, 03:57:50 PM »
What are the correct breathers for the oil fill tube and valve cover for a early 67 GT500 #185 finished at SA 01/04/1967 ? Shape, Script or non script ? The valve cover is a twist in.  Please post photos if you have them. Thank You Rick
« Last Edit: February 12, 2018, 04:31:51 PM by motorhead428 »

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
  • Original Posts:14706
    • View Profile
Re: motorhead428
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2018, 04:31:31 PM »
What are the correct breathers for the oil fill tube and valve cover for a early 67 GT500 #185 finished at SA 01/04/1967 ? Shape, Script or non script ? The valve cover is a twist in.  Please post photos if you have them. Thank You Rick
Assuming a non thermactor engine the valve cover cap is going to be the larger flat top twist on round breather cap with a FOMOCO in the script inside a oval. The oil filler cap looks the same but smaller diameter and it is push on. The assemblyline cap will have a long neck that goes in the oil filler tube. The repros do not.  Chrome finish is the most typical. 
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

motorhead428

• View Profile
Re: Early GT500 Breathers
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2018, 04:34:27 PM »
Non Thermactor is the way my car was produced.

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2018, 04:46:51 PM »
Assuming a non thermactor engine the valve cover cap is going to be the larger flat top twist on round breather cap with a FOMOCO in the script inside a oval. The oil filler cap looks the same but smaller diameter and it is push on. The assemblyline cap will have a long neck that goes in the oil filler tube. The repros do not.  Chrome finish is the most typical.
The picture I posted should be the way your engine should look . The small cap is approximately 2 7/16 wide . Sorry I can't post more pictures of caps . My pictures which posted fine before are all too large a file now apparently from the error page I keep getting. I will let someone else post .
« Last Edit: February 13, 2018, 12:58:06 AM by Bob Gaines »
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2018, 04:51:11 PM »
The picture I posted should be the way your engine should look . The small cap is approximately 2 7/16 wide . Sorry I can't post more pictures of caps . My pictures which posted fine before are all too large a file now apparently from the error page I keep getting. I will let someone else post .
For those reading earlier car only on the cap trademarks. Probably Feb 67 was when the change over to Autolite started to happen.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2018, 12:58:37 AM by Bob Gaines »

motorhead428

• View Profile
Re: Early GT500 Breathers
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2018, 07:21:12 PM »
Thank You, Bob.

shelbydoug

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2018, 07:40:19 PM »

Really? What about the staples? I never saw them evenly spaced like that? Was there a little hanky panky done on those? Those look nice. Original looks like crap.
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

67_1183

• SAAC Member
  • Southern Oregon - SAAC Member since 1977
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2018, 09:26:35 PM »
Really? What about the staples? I never saw them evenly spaced like that? Was there a little hanky panky done on those? Those look nice. Original looks like crap.

Off topic, but about half the number of staples of my earlier car.
2nd owner of 67 GT500 #1183 since September 1976