Author Topic: Mecum Indy  (Read 1818 times)

Dmxf

• View Profile
Re: Mecum Indy
« Reply #15 on: May 20, 2019, 06:48:30 PM »
And even limited restoration or parts replacement can have an altering effect on the car, which is why it's better if nothing is touched, if possible. I believe if you look closely at the suspension rod ends on 3173 you will find they are later British replacements (the replacement forgings are different from the assembly line ones). I haven't looked close enough at the car to know whether it still retains the original date coded Girling brake cylinders, but just rebuilding those can even get into revealing details. The shape of the dust boots that cover the end where the push rod comes out changed along Girling production and if aftermarket kits are used they don't have the Girling markings, etc. When it comes down to it there are thousands of subtle areas on Cobras that can reveal what was altered and it becomes very, very difficult for anyone touching the car to keep it exactly as delivered. Even Steven had limits and I know, for example, he didn't worry much about things you couldn't see, like internal engine components. Anyone really looking to bring a car back to true "day one" could have a daunting task of making sure they used the nylon tooth cam gear, Fomoco stamped bearings, and a long list of other things. It all comes down to how far becomes beyond sane.

shelbymann1970

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 20, 2019, 08:25:16 PM »
Cobra buyers were always fickle. 2.2 seems to be a new high? Auctions always were subject to buying passion

As our friend Ned told me, it's a different clientele and the higher they go, the better the investment is. Million dollar cars are a different animal and now are just part of a portfolio.

Still Ferarri GTO's are 50 million and the owners drive 'em and wreck 'em racing. I guess that's the Richard Branfords of the world. Lots of billionaires out there looking for their jollies.

Kind of like the main character in the Thomas Crown Affair?
2.2 million street car owned by Steve Juliano. 5 owner car. So I sent the pic I took of it sold at Mecum to my friend Paul who is the second owner of an original paint street Cobra. He turned down 1.6 a few years ago while on loan to the Gilmore Museum. So does the Juliano name makes the silver one worth more than my friend's original paint dark green one?
Shelby owner since 1984
SAAC member since 1991

shelbydoug

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 20, 2019, 09:44:22 PM »
I think everything effects what a potential buyer sees? Was it a Renoir that Crown stole in the story?

I know that auctioneers will tell you that it's possible that the picture frame could effect the results?

Maybe the collector needed a silver one and already had a green one?

The oxygen at different altitudes effects judgement drastically. I wouldn't know. I'm wrestling around here in the dirt with my dandelions.  :)

Cobra Ned

• SAAC Registrar
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 20, 2019, 10:30:31 PM »

[/quote]2.2 million street car owned by Steve Juliano. 5 owner car. So I sent the pic I took of it sold at Mecum to my friend Paul who is the second owner of an original paint street Cobra. He turned down 1.6 a few years ago while on loan to the Gilmore Museum. So does the Juliano name makes the silver one worth more than my friend's original paint dark green one?
[/quote]

Who knows? Maybe with the right promotion, Paul's car might bring similar money today.

Special Ed

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 21, 2019, 01:38:30 PM »
Shelbyman1970  was pauls green cobra a 428  or a 427  2x4 likes steves silver cobra ?

Hertz74

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 21, 2019, 02:38:06 PM »
I just saw Mecums semi on I-75 an M-59 Pontiac Mi, going north on 75. It had 65 Shelby pictures on the sides.   Someone is getting a car