Author Topic: 69 GT350 A/C hose question  (Read 1666 times)

SChatman

• View Profile
69 GT350 A/C hose question
« on: May 19, 2019, 12:37:02 AM »
Any thoughts on the correct hoses for my A/C? I’ve included a picture of the high pressure hose that was on my car when I got it 25 years ago. Now I’m looking for replacement hoses for my restoration and I’ve checked the Classic A/C website, they show a straight hose with no bend for the 351W and the hose with the bend fits a mustang with a 390 or 428. I’m also including a picture of the straight hose that Classic says is correct for my car and the one they say is for a big block.
Thanks for any help.

J_Speegle

• SAAC Member
  • Just here to help :)
    • View Profile
    • ConcoursMustang.com
Re: 69 GT350 A/C hose question
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2019, 01:43:26 AM »
The one without the tube extension is closest of the two you posted for a replacement IMHO

Originally there was no long tube just the four sided sight glass and the fitting. The tube from the dryer is pretty long and reaches well into the engine compartment as you can see below

Some examples

Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

SChatman

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2019, 09:51:34 AM »
Thanks Jeff but it looks like the end that has the bent tube attaches at the firewall, do you have any pictures of that end? The end of both hoses (big block and small block) with the sight glass looks about the same.

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
  • Original Posts:14706
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2019, 03:30:01 PM »
The reproduction hoses will function like original but will NOT look original. They will look new and fresh to a untrained eye however. The best bet is try and find some nice used 69 A/C hoses if you want original look. I take nice originals and replate the ends for a new appearance. 
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

J_Speegle

• SAAC Member
  • Just here to help :)
    • View Profile
    • ConcoursMustang.com
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2019, 04:01:11 PM »
Sorry - up too late responding

So looking at the firewall end of the small line in the MPC doesn;t appear to help since they do the one size fits all it appears in the later 72 version I have handy

Not the easiest location to get a picture of plus the lines are often sill covered with the insulation if they are still attached

Could only find examples from San Jose cars and early cars at that so it does leave open the possibility that the line design changed during the production year. Have seen that line with a short straight attaching hose also and looking at 70's small blocks they appear to have the same. So juts leavign that possibility out there

Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

SChatman

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2019, 08:38:44 PM »
Thanks Bob, good suggestion. What’s the plating on those fittings?

Thanks to you as well Jeff, mine was a Dearborn car and all of the pictures you show have that tube with the bend in it just like mine which Classic lists for a big block. If I decide to get the reproductions I’m going to stick to that same style with the bent tube.

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
  • Original Posts:14706
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2019, 11:01:03 PM »
Thanks Bob, good suggestion. What’s the plating on those fittings?

Thanks to you as well Jeff, mine was a Dearborn car and all of the pictures you show have that tube with the bend in it just like mine which Classic lists for a big block. If I decide to get the reproductions I’m going to stick to that same style with the bent tube.
The steel fittings you can do in zinc silver and look right. FYI the original hoses are the same regardless of BB or SB.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

SChatman

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2019, 11:44:03 PM »
Thank you Bob.