News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

Help me identify factory transmission stamping

Started by tonys_shelby, May 19, 2019, 03:01:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tonys_shelby

I'm trying to decipher the original markings on my GT500 #706 in order to replicate as I finish restoration.

This stamp appears on the transmission main case on the driver side toward the rear and bottom of the case.  ON other transmissions, I've seen a "6AE" stamped, this clearly is not that...see the picture.
I believe it is "G6" but I'm hoping someone out here can confirm or advise if more familiar with or have seen other stampings.

FYI, the other stampings (that are more clear) I see on the transmission on the passenger side hand brushed "L Y" in the middle of the case by the fill plug with an orange or pink stripe.  A stamped "21" on the driver side opposite of the ID tag.  On the top plate is a handwritten "224".

JD

Have you verified the trans is your original, the lower rear pad has the Ford VIN on it?

Is the trans tag there?  if so does it say "HEH BX" or "RUG" ?

Is the case casting info and date code correct too?

Jeff Speegle is the guy to help with the probable markings for your car, hopefully he'll see you post and chime in

Great that you are documenting them now.

'67 Shelby Headlight Bucket Grommets https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=254.0
'67 Shelby Lower Grille Edge Protective Strip https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=1237.0

J_Speegle

Quote from: tonys_shelby on May 19, 2019, 03:01:01 PM
I'm trying to decipher the original markings on my GT500 #706 in order to replicate as I finish restoration.

This stamp appears on the transmission main case on the driver side toward the rear and bottom of the case.  ON other transmissions, I've seen a "6AE" stamped, this clearly is not that...see the picture.
I believe it is "G6" but I'm hoping someone out here can confirm or advise if more familiar with or have seen other stampings.

The paint stamp would not be 6AE (don't copy restored examples you see on the internet  and it would not be G6. Most likely your seeing part of GS and the tag JD mentioned will have RUG S on the top line. Way too much incorrect marking examples out there 

JD provided the other things that will help determine if its the original, could be or isn't in his post above. He's provided what and where to look without "leading the witness" ;)
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

tonys_shelby

Yes it has the correct Vin number stamped into the pad on the bottom and the tag is correct also RUG S and bottom of 010604.   Ok so GS I could see it being that.  Thanks