News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

evapo rust in engine block

Started by acman63, May 21, 2019, 12:20:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

acman63

Has anyone ever had experience putting a solutiuon of evaporust in a complete engine to clean it out  then rinse with fresh water with no radiator connected
SAAC Concours Chairman

Owner Shelby Parts and Restoration Since 1977

SAAC original first year member

KR Convertible

Jim,

I tried the Evaporust that's made for cooling systems.  It seemed to work well, but it seemed no matter how much I flushed the system, I got more rust.  My antifreeze has a milky brown hue to it, not the bright transparent green it started at.

6S1568

Jim, I used it with really good results. I flushed the cooling system until the water came out as clean as it went in. I highly recommend it. Denny

Running an in-line antifreeze filter for a few hundred miles afterward would catch a lot of junk too.

gjz30075

Denny, parts in Evaporust are supposed to sit a while.    When put in the block, did you let it sit for any length of time before flushing?
Greg Z
6S2249

6S1568

Yes I did. I followed the directions to the letter and was delighted with the results. Two years later when the engine was torn down for a rebuild, the builder couldn't believe how clean the water passages were. Highly recommended product by me. Thanks

Bobby Crumpley

Jim,

A number of guys in the Early Ford V8 world have done it, claiming good results.  Us flathead guys are always looking for more cooling as I'm sure you know.  I had just gotten an 8BA block back from the machine shop shortly before Hurricane Harvey, which of course was sitting on the garage floor in a torn plastic bag when we got 32" of water in the house and sat buried behind a lot of my other belongings.  These photos show the before and after an overnight soak in Rust 911 (a cheaper alternative brand).  I was shocked by just how well it worked, but it did completely spend its rust removing capabilities.

Bobby Crumpley
MCA#20316
www.houstonvaporblasting.com

Coralsnake

Here is something else that will work...lemon juice. Try mixing one quart of lemon juice to three or four quarts of water.

KR Convertible

And much tastier than Evaporust!

Coralsnake

Is it hard on rubber hoses, brass or anything not iron?

Rodster-500

Quote from: countrysquire on May 23, 2019, 11:44:32 AM
Jim,

A number of guys in the Early Ford V8 world have done it, claiming good results.  Us flathead guys are always looking for more cooling as I'm sure you know.  I had just gotten an 8BA block back from the machine shop shortly before Hurricane Harvey, which of course was sitting on the garage floor in a torn plastic bag when we got 32" of water in the house and sat buried behind a lot of my other belongings.  These photos show the before and after an overnight soak in Rust 911 (a cheaper alternative brand).  I was shocked by just how well it worked, but it did completely spend its rust removing capabilities.

Flatheads.  :)

Bobby Crumpley

Quote from: 2112 on May 23, 2019, 07:57:31 PM
Is it hard on rubber hoses, brass or anything not iron?

My experience has been that it is safe on pretty much everything but rust.  While trying to clean up rust spots from an old license plate with the original paint, I did learn that it will start dissolving the lettering ink after about 10 minutes of soaking.
Bobby Crumpley
MCA#20316
www.houstonvaporblasting.com

vtgt500

Ford blocks usually have a 1/4 NPT plug on both sides of the block.  Enters very close to bottom of water jacket.  I add petcocks when assembling a motor.  Makes for complete coolant draining.