News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

Do any of the large parts suppliers sell repro drive shafts?

Started by cboss70, May 21, 2019, 04:54:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cboss70

In April I placed an order with M Unlimited for both a 67 GT500 and a 70Boss 302 driveshaft with yoke.  My Shelby one was not in great shape and since its a driver felt a shinny new bare metal one at $430 with yoke would be nice to have and I am missing the boss one (last one I had made for a regular 65 cost me more).   I just called for a status today and was told they cancelled my order with no reason.  Do any of the other major parts dealers sell them?  I wanted to avoid dealing with getting one made from a small or mom and pop kind of place and liked the cost and free shipping the major parts seller would offer.  If anyone has a good source let me know.  Thanks.

silverton_ford

Quote from: cboss70 on May 21, 2019, 04:54:30 PM
In April I placed an order with M Unlimited for both a 67 GT500 and a 70Boss 302 driveshaft with yoke.  My Shelby one was not in great shape and since its a driver felt a shinny new bare metal one at $430 with yoke would be nice to have and I am missing the boss one (last one I had made for a regular 65 cost me more).   I just called for a status today and was told they cancelled my order with no reason.  Do any of the other major parts dealers sell them?  I wanted to avoid dealing with getting one made from a small or mom and pop kind of place and liked the cost and free shipping the major parts seller would offer.  If anyone has a good source let me know.  Thanks.

Dead Nuts On sells them.  A lot of people in the hobby buy parts from them.    https://www.deadnutson.com/1965-71-ford-reproduction-driveshafts/

acman63

SAAC Concours Chairman

Owner Shelby Parts and Restoration Since 1977

SAAC original first year member

SNAKEBIT

A local truck place? The kind that build monster trucks or 18 wheelers? That is a good question, CBoss. I didn't stop to think about sourcing another drive shaft if I needed or wanted another one for a Shelby. I guess they were the same or longer/shorter than the Mustang ones? Did T-birds use the same one or any other Ford product use the same one or where they special only to the Shelbys? I need to hang out in the concours section again, for a while.
Waitin' for the day I get my first '70 Shelby convertible!

Coralsnake

Almost every driveshaft is unique to the engine/trans/rear axle combination of a specific car

6s1640

Quote from: acman63 on May 21, 2019, 05:37:18 PM
have your local truck place make one for you

If you are not worried about OEM style drive shaft, the local drive line shop can do the job at a fraction of the cost. In the Seattle Washington area, there three Drive Line NW shops.   I have used them to shorten a drive line to the HiPo spec's.  See  https://www.drivelinesnw.com/

I have also had Dead Nuts On build me a HiPo drive shaft.  Very nice, but does cost some money.

Best of luck

Cory

Bossbill

Hey Cory -- I had Drivelines NW build one too.

I had a tough to find vibration in my Boss 302. Finally, I took the driveline out of the Shelby, changed the caps to match the Boss rear yoke and that fixed the problem.

Here's the deal. I had the exact same vibration before and after DNW built me a newly tubed and "BALANCED" -- it said so right on the tube -- driveshaft.

So screw DNW. I keep their POS driveshaft in the corner -- with the bright yellow "BALANCED" stencil on it -- to remind me to never use them again.

[edit] I had a very odd driveshaft issue on my motorhome. It's a Ford F-53 Class A, but it's only 24' long! The "factory" shortened up the chassis and hacked up the driveshaft too. Yeah, they shortened the driveshaft and did it badly.
Aukeen Drivelines in Kent WA fixed the mess for a reasonable price.
Bill

67 GT350 Actual Build 3/2/67  01375
70 B302   6/6/70  0T02G160xxx

6s1640

Quote from: Bossbill on May 21, 2019, 08:10:10 PM
Hey Cory -- I had Drivelines NW build one too.

I had a tough to find vibration in my Boss 302. Finally, I took the driveline out of the Shelby, changed the caps to match the Boss rear yoke and that fixed the problem.

Here's the deal. I had the exact same vibration before and after DNW built me a newly tubed and "BALANCED" -- it said so right on the tube -- driveshaft.

So screw DNW. I keep their POS driveshaft in the corner -- with the bright yellow "BALANCED" stencil on it -- to remind me to never use them again.

[edit] I had a very odd driveshaft issue on my motorhome. It's a Ford F-53 Class A, but it's only 24' long! The "factory" shortened up the chassis and hacked up the driveshaft too. Yeah, they shortened the driveshaft and did it badly.
Aukeen Drivelines in Kent WA fixed the mess for a reasonable price.

Hi Bill,  If you had an issue with the DLNW drive line, why didn't you take back and have them fix?  I had/have no issues with the drive line they built for me.  I know another guy that had them build a OEM style drive line and also had no issues.  They may never want him to come back again, but they did a nice job.

Cory

Bossbill

I had been chasing this for quite a while.
Checked all the usual suspects.
Had the driveshaft built and no change -- not one bit.
If there is not a bit of improvement and the vibration is in the exact same spot why would I suspect the thing I had just replaced?
So I redoubled back and re-checked everything else.

Since this car was not used often it was well over a year before I went back to it. And that's when I changed that shaft out for the Shelby's.

Considering how many things I had to check and re-check (because the driveshaft isn't the issue so what is it?) I was pissed and never wanted to deal with them again.
Bill

67 GT350 Actual Build 3/2/67  01375
70 B302   6/6/70  0T02G160xxx

cboss70

Very good ideas- thanks. Feel much better I have some clear options.

s2ms

I also had Drivelines NW re-tube my original which had some dents. Was totally satisfied with their service but in the end still had some vibration above 80mph. Ultimately went with an aluminum shaft which smoothed it out.

Dave
Dave - 6S1757