Author Topic: hood latch  (Read 2530 times)

67 GT350

• View Profile
hood latch
« on: May 22, 2019, 07:23:59 PM »
DO 67's have a special hood latch? I installed a hood latch on my hood, went to shut the hood and it was off a huge amount, wasn't even close. I would think the location of the latch near the inboard lights is the same place as a Mustang latch. Where the lever bolts in on the hood I also would think it would be the same as the Mustang. Could my hood have been damaged years ago and the position is not correct? I will get some pictures in a few days. Right now the only way to keep my hood down is the use of the hood pins....scary.
RARE  Signature Delete

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
  • Original Posts:14706
    • View Profile
Re: hood latch
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2019, 07:41:33 PM »
DO 67's have a special hood latch? I installed a hood latch on my hood, went to shut the hood and it was off a huge amount, wasn't even close. I would think the location of the latch near the inboard lights is the same place as a Mustang latch. Where the lever bolts in on the hood I also would think it would be the same as the Mustang. Could my hood have been damaged years ago and the position is not correct? I will get some pictures in a few days. Right now the only way to keep my hood down is the use of the hood pins....scary.
The 67 Shelby used the standard Mustang hood latch. There is a 67 and early 68 hood latch and a hood latch for the rest of 68 . The early latch has shorter locating "teeth" and 68 longer.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

67350#1242

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2019, 07:47:19 PM »
Is the position off left to right or fore and aft?  The latch should be in same position as regular mustang as you stated.  There is some L/R adjustment as well as up/down but no fore/aft.   There is quite a bit of room for error in the fore/aft and any previous damage that big should be obvious.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2019, 07:50:00 PM by 67350#1242 »
67 GT350  SJ 02/01/67  Gray 4spd A/C
67 Coupe  SJ 11/16/66  White Auto A/C PDB

JD

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2019, 11:12:25 PM »
Do you have the "L" shaped catch bar?  See attached.

Also compare of '67 vs '68 hood latch

and latch attached to the hood...
'67 Shelby Headlight Bucket Grommets https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=254.0
'67 Shelby Lower Grille Edge Protective Strip https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=1237.0

roddster

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2019, 10:03:16 AM »
  Well, you could remove the latch, carefully close the hood and observe how it fits.
    When installing and adjusting there is often trial and error until it fits well.  Never mess with the latch and just slam the hood closed.

67 GT350

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2019, 10:22:57 AM »
I will get up there today and take some pictures, also I did not know that 67 was different from 68, not sure what I got.
RARE  Signature Delete

roddster

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2019, 02:50:34 PM »
  For future reference:  The way the latch bolts on and adjusts does not matter if the latch is a 67 or a 68.  Just those two "fingers" that stick down are longer on a true 68 latch.

67 GT350

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2019, 03:20:33 PM »
Wouldn't you know it I forgot the latch and was up to where the car is, I personally think the mounting on the hood is bent back a bit, and I went to see if I would bend it and it is too solid for me to move it.
RARE  Signature Delete

67 GT350

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2019, 08:34:52 AM »
OK, sorry for the delay. Here are some pictures. See what you think. I think my hood bracket is not right.
RARE  Signature Delete

JD

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2019, 08:45:30 AM »
Can you fully close the hood or does the latch prevent that happening?

Yes it does look as though the latch is angled back a bit.  Looks like the mounting surface for the latch may not be at the correct angle?  Was the hood damaged and repaired?

« Last Edit: June 03, 2019, 08:51:23 AM by JD »
'67 Shelby Headlight Bucket Grommets https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=254.0
'67 Shelby Lower Grille Edge Protective Strip https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=1237.0

67 GT350

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2019, 08:57:28 AM »
The hood looks good, but I do suspect that maybe yes it was hit. It is so solid, the mounting on the hood, that I don't know how I would bend that, It might be like jaw surgery, it might have to be broken and then fixed!
RARE  Signature Delete