News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

build sheet restore and decode

Started by kasearch@ix.netcom.com, May 23, 2019, 07:41:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kasearch@ix.netcom.com

I did discover the build sheet (or remnants there of) and was wondering if anyone does restoration and decoding of these?

Coralsnake

Decoding is easy

The cars were pretty standardized

Restoration is much more challenging

rhjanes

mine was discolored by the under carpet insulation.  I got an old cookie sheet, placed the build sheet in it and poured on some Wax and Grease remover.  It soaked for a time (over night I think) and came out completely readable and even "softened" up the paper. 
Pirating!  Corporate take-over without the paperwork

68blk500c

We had great success with steaming our sheet and then pressing it flat (surfaces & weight--not with an iron.)
Good luck.

J_Speegle

Quote from: Coralsnake on May 23, 2019, 08:01:07 AM
Decoding is easy

The cars were pretty standardized

Restoration is much more challenging

+1  We surely have copies of many other cars but similar to your car so much of it has been decoded in the past. Will confirm some details but remember that the buildsheet reflects how Ford built the cars that would be altered and become Shelby's

Here is a post from about 5 years ago I posted on another site that will give you some ideas. Sorry for the large pictures :(  It references an article on the steps I have used on dozens of the buildsheets to make them easier to read. Hope this helps

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Buildsheets were the single sheet pieces of paper that the line workers used to guide the assembly of every specific car during the second half of assembly. There were dozens of each printed for use on the line as well as at the sub-assembly stations situated around the plant.

In most cases the buildsheet showed a color or abbreviated number to help workers identify the needed part so that identification could be quick and accurate. Unfortunately most of the copies used to build our cars were destroyed, either intentionally or due to age and  the elements. 

Sometimes a restorer gets lucky and finds one copy between the underlayment and the floor boards of his/her car. Unfortunately the years of direct contact with the tar based underlayment results in a heavily stained and discolored piece of paper. Many, many years ago, after some experimentation, I found a method that can vastly improve the readability of these old historical helpers.  I've shared this method on many web sites and forums since the web opened up to the public but only in words so I thought an illustrated version was about due - especially since we've got a special place to post and share.   Look for the article in the Library section of the web site - there is a link you can find in any of the specific year article list. For a short time its marked NEW   ;)

Like most endeavors this is only the way that has worked for me. Your results may vary and there is likely a better method, but this is what has worked for me.

Hope it helps in your efforts to produce a better concours restoration and your enjoyment of that task.
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

GOAT12

What liquid are you immersing the build sheet in?  Thanks.

Bill

I've used Jeff's method with great success  carefully place the clean build sheet on some screen and allow to air dry.
Instead of being part of the problem, be part of a successful solution.
HOW TO IDENTIFY A FORUM TROLL
https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=16401.0

J_Speegle

Quote from: GOAT12 on June 28, 2019, 11:21:42 AM
What liquid are you immersing the build sheet in?  Thanks.

Wax and grease remover a paitn prep product. Newer "safe" formulas make take more time. Just watch and move it around ( liquid not sheet) to help the process along
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge