News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

Stove Choke

Started by Milo, June 25, 2019, 09:01:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Milo

Hey guys -

I just received a new choke stove fitting and filter (repop from Mansfield Mustangs) for my 68 GT500 stock exhaust. Couple of questions -

1) It isn't offering any resistance, just kinda slides in and out. I had assumed it would need to be 'hammered' in. Is there an installation trick?

2) does anyone have any images of how the whole system should look? Having trouble visualizing how the lines run from the fitting to the carb.

The engine is currently on a stand, so it's something that I would like to get right before I drop the engine back in...

1968 Shelby GT500 #685 Wimbledon White
1969 CJ Mach 1, R-code 4-speed Black Jade
1965 GT vert, A-code 4-speed Poppy Red
1974 Bronco 302, Auto, Sniper EFI, 4-disc, Ivy
1972 Bronco Coyote
1968 F-250 Camper Special 390

Chris Thauberger

Here are a couple. I just bent them until they fit nice without touching anything else.

Chris

Life is 1% what happen to you and 99% how you react to it.

Video: Gold Concours GT500
Article: Pursuit of Gold

Milo

Thanks Chris!

Any advice about getting the stove choke to stay in the manifold?

And, the line just slide into the stove choke, correct? No sealant or expansion?
1968 Shelby GT500 #685 Wimbledon White
1969 CJ Mach 1, R-code 4-speed Black Jade
1965 GT vert, A-code 4-speed Poppy Red
1974 Bronco 302, Auto, Sniper EFI, 4-disc, Ivy
1972 Bronco Coyote
1968 F-250 Camper Special 390

Bob Gaines

Quote from: Milo on June 27, 2019, 03:31:18 PM
Thanks Chris!

And, the line just slide into the stove choke, correct? No sealant or expansion?
It of course should stay on it's own . You typically have to tap in in with a hammer. I have not had this issue before however if I did I would use some copper wire stripped from a lamp cord etc. to act as a interference fit helper to take up the apparent extra clearance. It would not hurt to put a little high temp silicone before sliding it in to seal it up around the sides . I would wipe off any excess silicone before it sets up to make it invisible. Just some thoughts . Others may have other alternatives.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Chris Thauberger

Quote from: Milo on June 27, 2019, 03:31:18 PM
Thanks Chris!

You're welcome.

Yes they're supposed to be a fairly snug fit. If yours is loose like mine was I would just take a cold chisel and deformed the edge of the manifold slightly so it fits tight. Eventually carbon from the exhaust gas will seal it up.

Yes the line just slides into the stove choke.

Chris
Life is 1% what happen to you and 99% how you react to it.

Video: Gold Concours GT500
Article: Pursuit of Gold