Author Topic: Redline on Tachometer?  (Read 4742 times)

• View Profile
Redline on Tachometer?
« on: May 24, 2019, 02:19:08 AM »
It seems that some tachometers have the redline and others do not.  Was it a mid-year change like the recessed rear quarter panel reflectors?  Was the redline only on later built cars?  (Maybe it was added mid-year to cut down on warranty repairs!)

Coralsnake

• SAAC Member
  • The original Influencer
    • View Profile
    • theCoralsnake.com
Re: Redline on Tachometer?
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2019, 07:32:17 AM »
Correct, some are redline, some are not.

I havent studied them to see if its date specific?

shelbydoug

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2019, 08:32:53 AM »
It seems that some tachometers have the redline and others do not.  Was it a mid-year change like the recessed rear quarter panel reflectors?  Was the redline only on later built cars?  (Maybe it was added mid-year to cut down on warranty repairs!)

That's an unknown at this point. There were also some cars with 6,000 rpm tachs so maybe it is just a supply issue?
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

JD

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2019, 09:01:26 AM »

(FWIW this is the case on '67 Shelby's too, a year earlier and on the other coast - Ford Job #1?)
'67 Shelby Headlight Bucket Grommets https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=254.0
'67 Shelby Lower Grille Edge Protective Strip https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=1237.0

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2019, 12:53:56 PM »

That's an unknown at this point. There were also some cars with 6,000 rpm tachs so maybe it is just a supply issue?
The 6K tach seems like a supply issue.

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
  • Original Posts:14706
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2019, 06:09:59 PM »

Given it was a issue seen in 67 Shelby's also leads one to believe it may not be date related.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2019, 01:33:51 AM »
FWIW, I looked at a bunch of photos, and the only pattern I saw was that all cars with knee pads had no redline on the tachs.  I believe that knee pads ran out in December 1967, so maybe the original plan was no redline.

Mike Shally

• original owner, 68 Shelby, MCA Gold Card
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2019, 07:57:26 PM »
My early 68 GT350 did not have the red line, original owner and the car was built in Nov 67.
original owner, 68 Shelby judge, MCA Gold Card Judge, MCACN Shelby Judge

highland green

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2019, 06:11:54 PM »
# 459 built Dec.9/67 knee pad and 8000 tch with red line.

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2019, 12:51:33 AM »
Interesting.  I believe the knee pads ran out in December, so that must have been one of the last ones.  Maybe the no redline tachs ran out just a little before the knee pads?

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2019, 01:13:55 AM »
Interesting.  I believe the knee pads ran out in December, so that must have been one of the last ones.  Maybe the no redline tachs ran out just a little before the knee pads?
Apparently you didn't read or are ignoring information from other reply's. To restate other reply's the redline no redline was apparently random in 67 which all had knee pads but the redline or no redline tach had no apparent pattern of usage in 67 . Both were used from the factory in 67. That seems to contradict a early late hypothesis .The somewhat no pattern usage seemed to have continued to be so in 68 also.   
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2019, 08:41:20 PM »
Apparently you didn't read or are ignoring information from other reply's. To restate other reply's the redline no redline was apparently random in 67 which all had knee pads but the redline or no redline tach had no apparent pattern of usage in 67 . Both were used from the factory in 67. That seems to contradict a early late hypothesis .The somewhat no pattern usage seemed to have continued to be so in 68 also.
I did read and I am not ignoring those replies.  1968 was a completely different situation due to the strike and the change in GT Mustang tachs from 1967 to 1968.  Also, many tachs on restored cars have had the redline added by Shelby "experts" who believed the redline had faded away or the non-redline tach was incorrect, which of course is wrong, but which makes it more difficult to date a production change.  For 1968, it seems that a running production change was likely, with the earlier cars having no redline.

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2019, 12:29:29 AM »
I did read and I am not ignoring those replies.  1968 was a completely different situation due to the strike and the change in GT Mustang tachs from 1967 to 1968.  Also, many tachs on restored cars have had the redline added by Shelby "experts" who believed the redline had faded away or the non-redline tach was incorrect, which of course is wrong, but which makes it more difficult to date a production change.  For 1968, it seems that a running production change was likely, with the earlier cars having no redline.
Help me understand how you think in what way that the strike effected the tachs . Help me understand what you perceive as the main difference between 67 and 68 tachs. Thank you in advance for explaining your point of view.

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2019, 01:06:38 AM »
Help me understand how you think in what way that the strike effected the tachs . Help me understand what you perceive as the main difference between 67 and 68 tachs. Thank you in advance for explaining your point of view.
I suggest that you research 1967 and 1968 Mustang tachs and the GT option.  We still may have a difference of opinion, but that is fine.

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2019, 04:34:32 PM »
I suggest that you research 1967 and 1968 Mustang tachs and the GT option.  We still may have a difference of opinion, but that is fine.
I was not trying to have a difference of opinion but only trying to understand your point of view as it relates to the discussion. I thought I asked a straight forward non combative statement. If you don’t want to explain yourself after making a seeming out of context statements as it relates to the discussion without any back up then so be it. Maybe after you do YOUR research you will feel confident enough to answer my question so that we can continue the conversation.