News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

1967 Shelby Notchback "Little Red"

Started by Richstang, February 12, 2018, 11:37:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Richstang

The one and only "Little Red" in what is believed to be it's later updated version with numerous '68 styled features added such as;
-grille surround chrome trim, raised taillight panel painted silver, and the "SHELBY" letter added across the rear deck lid

These are the only 4 pictures I've ever seen of "Little Red". If anyone has better version of these or different photos of it please post them here.

front views

1967 Shelby Research Group 

www.1967ShelbyResearch.com
www.facebook.com/groups/1967shelbyresearch

1991-1993 SAAC MKI, MKII, & Snake Registrar

Richstang

rear and side views

67411F--0100-ENG.

Rich,

This is a Polaroid photo of Little Red's engine compartment taken at some point during its development.  I am told the photo was taken by Fred Goodell.

Thanks,
Eric

Richstang

Eric,

Thanks for posting the engine photo. (That's a much nicer photo than what was posted in The Shelby American a while back)

Does you or anyone else know if those are thermactor hoses in front of the air box and over the passenger valve cover?
Perhaps they were added along with the Paxton supercharger as I thought it was a non smog built car?

Coralsnake

Richstang

Thanks Pete.

Interesting since the SA VIN is lists it as 67411H ... an A/C car with no smog.

Bob Gaines

Interesting that a similar paxton that was used on the GT350 was tested on the GT500. The early paxton maybe would build 5 psi on a 289 displacement engine. I would be surprised if it would build even 3 psi on the 428 displacement engine. Hardly enough boost to make any significant horsepower. If you remember SA used duel paxtons on the Cobra supersnake. Back then that was the only way to build more boast. Today the more evolved blower /air pumps  can do it easily in something that is similar in size to the old paxton. Different sized pulleys can spin the blower faster will build boost faster that way. Consequently I think some of the old reports of the cars performance were exaggerated.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

It is know what the final fate of this car was?

67411F--0100-ENG.

Quote from: Richstang on February 13, 2018, 01:05:00 PM
Thanks Pete.

Hello Rich,

Here is some information quoted from Brian Styles' research on cars 0100, 0131, and 0139: "Ford records (DSO and Marti Report) indicate that all three cars were originally ordered with the Exhaust Emissions System. A Ford Change Notice, dated August 10, 1966 deleted the exhaust emissions system from DSO 2511 (#0100 - the Fastback). This deletion is also confirmed by the Shelby VIN for 0100. The Shelby VIN for 0131 (the Coupe) indicates no emissions option, though we're unsure as to whether that was deleted by Ford or at Shelby American before the VIN was created".

My guess would be the emissions equipment was installed as part of Fred Goodell's development and testing of various engine packages with Little Red.

Thanks,
Eric

Bob Gaines

Quote from: 2112 on February 13, 2018, 04:55:21 PM
It is know what the final fate of this car was?
Sure . It was supposed to be crushed. However there are instances of cars that were supposed to be crush that later were resurrected. Soooo maybe. ;)
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Coralsnake

Well, resurrected might night be a good word. Many cars were just never crushed. The story of crushing cars has been greatly exaggerated.

There is also a hand written note that this car was to be updated to 1968 specs, so it maybe hiding somewhere.

Richstang

Quote from: Bob Gaines on February 13, 2018, 01:08:08 PM
Interesting that a similar paxton that was used on the GT350 was tested on the GT500. The early paxton maybe would build 5 psi on a 289 displacement engine. I would be surprised if it would build even 3 psi on the 428 displacement engine. Hardly enough boost to make any significant horsepower. If you remember SA used duel paxtons on the Cobra supersnake. Back then that was the only way to build more boast. Today the more evolved blower /air pumps  can do it easily in something that is similar in size to the old paxton. Different sized pulleys can spin the blower faster will build boost faster that way. Consequently I think some of the old reports of the cars performance were exaggerated.

That's a small return for all the effort and cost to add a supercharger. The registry notes it had twin Paxtons. Perhaps that was done after this single configuration proved insufficient. Wonder what kind of power it had with two of them.   

Richstang

Quote from: 67411F--0100-ENG. on February 13, 2018, 05:07:28 PM
Quote from: Richstang on February 13, 2018, 01:05:00 PM
Thanks Pete.

Hello Rich,

Here is some information quoted from Brian Styles' research on cars 0100, 0131, and 0139: "Ford records (DSO and Marti Report) indicate that all three cars were originally ordered with the Exhaust Emissions System. A Ford Change Notice, dated August 10, 1966 deleted the exhaust emissions system from DSO 2511 (#0100 - the Fastback). This deletion is also confirmed by the Shelby VIN for 0100. The Shelby VIN for 0131 (the Coupe) indicates no emissions option, though we're unsure as to whether that was deleted by Ford or at Shelby American before the VIN was created".

My guess would be the emissions equipment was installed as part of Fred Goodell's development and testing of various engine packages with Little Red.

Thanks,
Eric

Thanks for these notes Eric,
Its been a while since I've looked at Brian's website, especially anything about this Coupe/Notchback. There's a note this #0131 coupe was also ordered with the 413 package but was delivered as 411 just like the #0100 fastback. I'm inclined to agree with you that the emissions shown in your posted photo was added for testing by Goodell. We were just lucky someone took this photo and caught the car at this point in time.

Richstang

Quote from: Coralsnake on February 13, 2018, 06:02:58 PM
Well, resurrected might night be a good word. Many cars were just never crushed. The story of crushing cars has been greatly exaggerated.

There is also a hand written note that this car was to be updated to 1968 specs, so it maybe hiding somewhere.

Wouldn't that be something to find! Little Red in full '68 disguise. After 50 years, my hopes are not very high.

Bob Gaines

Quote from: Richstang on February 13, 2018, 07:57:36 PM
Quote from: Bob Gaines on February 13, 2018, 01:08:08 PM

That's a small return for all the effort and cost to add a supercharger. The registry notes it had twin Paxtons. Perhaps that was done after this single configuration proved insufficient. Wonder what kind of power it had with two of them.
A lot more on the duel paxton I am sure. How much more I am not sure. The problem is that in the confines of the Mustang engine compartment heat is a big problem . The more the air being compressed got heated the less HP it would make. It is my understanding that was the down fall of this setup . Same goes for the duel paxton Cobras(not much increase over normal aspirated). Modern higher capacity Paxton blowers (more efficient single units) do not have near as much problem and would make much more HP. I would think the high (relatively speaking)10.5 -1 compression on the FE would present problems too.