News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

1967 Shelby Notchback "Little Red"

Started by Richstang, February 12, 2018, 11:37:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

67411F--0100-ENG.

Hello Everyone,

I am sure that a few of you have probably saved the Little Red engine compartment photo that I posted to your computers.  For those that did, I have a question for you.  Use the "zoom" and enlarge the photo without losing good resolution.  Does it look to you like the front radius of the passenger side shock tower across from the valve cover has been "dimpled" to provide a little extra clearance at that area?  I think that it has been "dimpled".  Please let me know what your eyes see.  The shock towers on 0100 are "dimpled" and were that way when we bought the car back on 12/27/79. I have attached photos of 0100's shock towers so you can see what I am talking about.  It looks to me like 0100's shock towers were "dimpled" when the engine was out of the car at some point.  My theory is that it was probably done with a hammer and some heat by Engineering Department personnel who were doing development work on 0100 and 0131.  Any thoughts?

Thanks,
Eric

Richstang

Eric,
I'm not seeing a dimple in that original photo. Just a slightly angled reflection in a straight line on the front part of the tower. Even the slightly fuzzy photo in The Shelby Amercian back issue (not sure when that was published) doesn't seem to show any dimple in that spot. Both versions of that photo are really tough to make a call either way as that section is in the shadow.
Rich
1967 Shelby Research Group 

www.1967ShelbyResearch.com
www.facebook.com/groups/1967shelbyresearch

1991-1993 SAAC MKI, MKII, & Snake Registrar

Coralsnake

I don't see it. The FE fits just fine without a need to modify anything

67411F--0100-ENG.

Quote from: Coralsnake on February 14, 2018, 07:52:09 PM

Hello,

Yes, the FE does fit just fine, but as we all know accessing spark plugs, plug wires, and exhaust manifold bolts can be a real pain on these cars.  Dimpling the shocks towers does provide some additional clearance for someone that may have been doing these things on a fairly frequent basis.

Thanks,
Eric

Bob Gaines

Quote from: 67411F--0100-ENG. on February 14, 2018, 08:02:25 PM

Hello,

Yes, the FE does fit just fine, but as we all know accessing spark plugs, plug wires, and exhaust manifold bolts can be a real pain on these cars.  Dimpling the shocks towers does provide some additional clearance for someone that may have been doing these things on a fairly frequent basis.

Thanks,
Eric
Probably more to the story that we don't know. The engineering of the 390 (same size as the 428) to fit in the Mustang body had all been done prior to production.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

67411F--0100-ENG.

Quote from: Bob Gaines on February 14, 2018, 08:11:49 PM
Quote from: 67411F--0100-ENG. on February 14, 2018, 08:02:25 PM

Hello,

Thanks,
Eric

Probably more to the story that we don't know. The engineering of the 390 (same size as the 428) to fit in the Mustang body had all been done prior to production.

Hello Bob,

Yes, I agree, probably more to the story.  I definitely believe that my theory holds water though, especially since 0100 remained assigned to the Shelby American/Automotive Engineering Department for at least 27 months. 

Thanks,
Eric

Coralsnake

I wasnt unusual for the engineering cars to stay around for months or years. I would agree, we may never know the full extent of the program.

I wonder where the "dual" Paxton references come from?

gt350shelb

does 100 have 66 style shock towers? if so  they might / would need to be modified  for fe
Some where some one is driving their collector car for the last time but they don't know it . Drive your car every time like it could be the last memory of it .

67411F--0100-ENG.

Quote from: gt350shelb on February 14, 2018, 11:04:04 PM
does 100 have 66 style shock towers? if so they might / would need to be modified for fe

Hello,

No, 0100 has '67 style shock towers.

Thanks,
Eric

roddster

More of the Lil'Red story can be found in the GT/CS registry book.  It was given 4 pages by Pual Newitt. The photo of the engine compartment is in there.  Funny about the engine color which seems to be Chrysler Aqua, or the same color used on old flat headed Fords in the late 40's / early 1950's
   The car had a few iterations but the photos all seem to be of the latest example.  According to the GT/CS registry, it did not have a twin Paxton set-up.  According to the SAAC registry, it also had a four speed at one time as they left the clutch pedal on it.  Since it was a November/December 1966 build I'm sure it had MagStar wheels at one point.  It was shown at the January 1967 Los Angeles Auto Show.  It is a wonder no photos of it there have yet to be posted.
  Also from the GT/CS registry:  It had the 67 Shelby steering wheel.  Custom Connolly leather seats, Mouton carpeting, Magstars, The 3" wide seat belts (like the 65's), was used as the 67' Shelby de Mexico prototype.

I'm building a tribute of it down to the metal underlined hood and deck lid - since it is that early of a Shelby conversion.

Quote from: 67411F--0100-ENG. on February 15, 2018, 08:51:06 AM

Hello,

No, 0100 has '67 style shock towers.

Thanks,
Eric

Eric,

Since we started over from scratch on this site, any chance you can start a thread and share the interesting History of your car, including how you came to own it and what you have done with it since 1979?

Richstang

Quote from: roddster on February 15, 2018, 12:21:25 PM
  More of the Lil'Red story can be found in the GT/CS registry book.  It was given 4 pages by Pual Newitt. The photo of the engine compartment is in there.  Funny about the engine color which seems to be Chrysler Aqua, or the same color used on old flat headed Fords in the late 40's / early 1950's
   The car had a few iterations but the photos all seem to be of the latest example.  According to the GT/CS registry, it did not have a twin Paxton set-up.  According to the SAAC registry, it also had a four speed at one time as they left the clutch pedal on it.  Since it was a November/December 1966 build I'm sure it had MagStar wheels at one point.  It was shown at the January 1967 Los Angeles Auto Show.  It is a wonder no photos of it there have yet to be posted.
  Also from the GT/CS registry:  It had the 67 Shelby steering wheel.  Custom Connolly leather seats, Mouton carpeting, Magstars, The 3" wide seat belts (like the 65's), was used as the 67' Shelby de Mexico prototype.

I'm building a tribute of it down to the metal underlined hood and deck lid - since it is that early of a Shelby conversion.

I'd love to see it in the Magstars. I've been searching for the 1967 January LA auto show pictures for years and still have yet to find anything showing even a hint of Little red there. There has to be photos out there of it!!!

shelbydoug

I'm surprised that no one has found a picture of Cosby with it yet? He was always borrowing the car.
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

Richstang

Quote from: shelbydoug on February 15, 2018, 01:38:03 PM
I'm surprised that no one has found a picture of Cosby with it yet? He was always borrowing the car.

Are you sure Cosby drove "Little Red", I thought it was the "Green Hornet" he talked about driving.

shelbydoug

Quote from: Richstang on February 15, 2018, 01:58:32 PM
Quote from: shelbydoug on February 15, 2018, 01:38:03 PM

Are you sure Cosby drove "Little Red", I thought it was the "Green Hornet" he talked about driving.

Yes, it was the red car. It was in LA, as was he. The green car is a Michigan thing.

It was said that Bill was often hanging out at the LA airport location and "often" borrowed the car.

I don't think anyone definitely defined what "borrowing" meant? It was said he was often at the Playboy Mansion as well. I can't imagine why though?  ;D
68 GT350 Lives Matter!