Author Topic: 1967 Shelby Notchback "Little Red"  (Read 20724 times)

shelbydoug

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
Re: 1967 Shelby Notchback "Little Red"
« Reply #60 on: March 23, 2018, 04:59:26 PM »
I dont think anyone ever said stolen. That was reportedly the 67 convertible, but it came back.

I realize that but it's disappearance seems suspicious to me.

Your copies of the notes refer to SA/LA waiting for 68 'glass. I'd actually expect that to happen in Michigan. Little Red was Goddell's car in LA. I'd expect it to go anywhere he did.

Is the convertible the first car to get 68 fiberglass? It would show it well enough. Why would they need to do the coupe also?

I'm forgetting the info on the California Specials (sorry Paul). That work was done in LA?
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

Coralsnake

• SAAC Member
  • The original Influencer
    • View Profile
    • theCoralsnake.com
« Reply #61 on: March 23, 2018, 05:49:08 PM »
I think the 1967 convertible and the blue 1967 are recognized as the first cars to get 1968 fiberglass. The handwritten memo seems to indicate that the red coupe stayed in California, because they were shipping out parts from Dearborn and Smith. It does not give a time frame, but the memo is most likely July 1967...so sometime after that.

I wonder if a 427 car was really built? I know Shelby wanted an “airport car” and they even worked out gear ratios for it.

Coralsnake

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
    • theCoralsnake.com
« Reply #62 on: March 23, 2018, 05:51:07 PM »
Since Goodell was going to Michigan at this time, thats probably why they built the Green Hornet. We know it had EFI and that was Goodell’s program until well after Shelby ended his run

Richstang

• View Profile
    • 1967 Shelby Research Group
« Reply #63 on: March 23, 2018, 07:43:38 PM »
A curious note on Brian Styles website is that is was reportedly shown at a sporting event at Los Angeles Coliseum in August. I could imagine the car to be updated to '68 specs by that time. I'm not saying it was, it's just possible since it is 3-4 weeks after the press preview.

1967 Shelby Research Group 

www.1967ShelbyResearch.com
www.facebook.com/groups/1967shelbyresearch

1991-1993 SAAC MKI, MKII, & Snake Registrar

Richstang

• View Profile
« Reply #64 on: March 23, 2018, 07:52:47 PM »
When was the Green Hornet completed?   
If I recall correctly the base unit was completed August 25th by Ford.

Seems like Little Red would have no real purpose after this point, especially if it was reworked several times to try various components and tested/abused.

Coralsnake

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
    • theCoralsnake.com
« Reply #65 on: March 23, 2018, 07:57:22 PM »
The best guess is the Hornet did not appear in Shelby form until after February of 1968.

The first 1968 Shelbys with 1968 serial numbers were in September of 1967, so I think thats the window...

Sept 1967-early 1968

Just my best guess

Richstang

• View Profile
« Reply #66 on: March 23, 2018, 08:31:46 PM »
The best guess is the Hornet did not appear in Shelby form until after February of 1968.

The first 1968 Shelbys with 1968 serial numbers were in September of 1967, so I think thats the window...

Sept 1967-early 1968

Just my best guess

February is longer than I would have thought, (thanks) That could indicate a need for Little Red a bit longer.

Coralsnake

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
    • theCoralsnake.com
« Reply #67 on: March 23, 2018, 08:33:36 PM »
One of the registries says it was a CS prototype! But, I dont have a source document for that.

shelbydoug

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: March 23, 2018, 09:58:30 PM »
Ah! So this is the significance of dating the photos? Check. Got it. ;)

It takes me a couple of extra minutes to get it? BUT..."I have fix ze bell from ze ringing! You're welcome!"
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

roddster

• View Profile
« Reply #69 on: March 25, 2018, 12:26:20 PM »
  IF, you haven't read the three or four pages about Lil'Red in the GT/CS registry you might be projecting mis-information into the Lil'Red story.
  Surely it had some time as a regular GT 500 coupe before the modifications started.  As in the supercharger installation for the Los Angeles Auto show..  It was sent to Dearborn to the styling center.  Might not have ever gone back to California as the Airport plant was shutting down.
    Let's hope somebody bricked it up into a wall like that short 65 Fastback protoype that came out a few yaers back.

shelbydoug

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: March 25, 2018, 12:52:52 PM »
  IF, you haven't read the three or four pages about Lil'Red in the GT/CS registry you might be projecting mis-information into the Lil'Red story.
  Surely it had some time as a regular GT 500 coupe before the modifications started.  As in the supercharger installation for the Los Angeles Auto show..  It was sent to Dearborn to the styling center.  Might not have ever gone back to California as the Airport plant was shutting down.
    Let's hope somebody bricked it up into a wall like that short 65 Fastback protoype that came out a few yaers back.

Correct. It got sent to Michigan, then disappeared forever.

Those cars rarely if ever got crushed. They would find a way to a local used car lot.

Now here's the thing with Shelby's before the '68 model year, if you removed the Shelby VIN tag, they would be identified by the Ford number.

IF there was a way to check computer records of the states from back in the day, that's where I would go. They ARE accessible where the states kept the records. That's unusual though.

Then it could have gotten sold and taken over to Windsor, Ontario? Lots of possibilities.
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

Coralsnake

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
    • theCoralsnake.com
« Reply #71 on: March 25, 2018, 01:23:01 PM »
Where do you a find a notation it was sent to Michigan?

Chris Thauberger

• Gold is money. Everything else is credit.
    • View Profile
    • And how many words have I got to say? And how many times will it be this way? With your arms around the future And your back up against the past You're already falling It's calling you on to face the music And the song that is coming through You
« Reply #72 on: March 25, 2018, 01:35:57 PM »
Computer records back in the day????  That’s funny. Not sure they used computers at DMV in the 60’s and they sure didn’t waste any effort putting 60’s paper files on computer.
Life is 1% what happen to you and 99% how you react to it.

Video: Gold Concours GT500
Article: Pursuit of Gold

shelbydoug

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: March 25, 2018, 01:37:12 PM »
I believe he is correct on recalling that someone "recalled or thought" that but I don't remember the context of the source either? Did Goodell mention that in the interview that he did with SAAC?

I was under the impression it went to Michigan but don't remember why now?

68 GT350 Lives Matter!

Richstang

• View Profile
« Reply #74 on: March 25, 2018, 02:03:21 PM »
Check this link for the Fred Goodell interview on Brian's website.

http://www.1967shelbyconvertible.com/research/interviews/fred-goodell.asp

Goodell is sure that Little Red and Green Hornet were scrapped, or supposed to be.
Scrolling down further, Fred mentioned the comptroller who was a penny pincher may not have followed through with those directives.