Author Topic: 67 Brake Caliper wire - original owner car  (Read 2864 times)

acman63

• View Profile
    • Shelby Parts and Restoration  since 1977
67 Brake Caliper wire - original owner car
« on: May 27, 2019, 06:55:18 PM »
Heres a good shot of the factory safety wire on a 67.  Im the first one to take this apart. Car has been off the road since the mid 70s and is a virtual time capsule. I didnt measure the wire yet.  (-:     more to come
SAAC Concours Chairman

Owner Shelby Parts and Restoration Since 1977

SAAC original first year member

J_Speegle

• SAAC Member
  • Just here to help :)
    • View Profile
    • ConcoursMustang.com
Re: 67 Brake Caliper wire - original owner car
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2019, 08:10:57 PM »
Few more

Mid December San Jose

Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

67 GT350

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2019, 09:11:28 PM »
I remember those on my car and I got special wire to replace that! Man, that was back in the very early 80's!
RARE  Signature Delete

J_Speegle

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
    • ConcoursMustang.com
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2019, 09:38:20 PM »
I remember those on my car and I got special wire to replace that! Man, that was back in the very early 80's!

Nothing special about the wire today just allot of options that aren't like the originals ;)

Then everyone wants to do it neater and prettier with their "special pliers" rather than how the original San Jose workers did

Not that its not their car and they can do it anyway they want to  :D
« Last Edit: May 27, 2019, 09:40:10 PM by J_Speegle »
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
  • Original Posts:14706
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2019, 10:46:12 PM »
It is nothing special.It is just regular bailing wire you can get in the hardware store. If you don't find it in one hardware store go to another. I have not had a problem finding a correct looking wire. In the beginning I took a sample to match. Later it became more easy to recognize. You might find that when you buy it you are more likely to lose it then ever use it up on doing cars. It doesn't take much to wire a car. I don't have to go looking too often thankfully . I lend it out and the borrower doesn't bring it back. No good deed goes unpunished  ::) .  That has happened on a number of occasions.  The wire that was used is not silver in color but more of a rust tinted dark brown. 14/15/16 gauge wire I think . I have seen enough of it to just go by the look.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

shelbydoug

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2019, 06:54:38 AM »
It is nothing special.It is just regular bailing wire you can get in the hardware store. If you don't find it in one hardware store go to another. I have not had a problem finding a correct looking wire. In the beginning I took a sample to match. Later it became more easy to recognize. You might find that when you buy it you are more likely to lose it then ever use it up on doing cars. It doesn't take much to wire a car. I don't have to go looking too often thankfully . I lend it out and the borrower doesn't bring it back. No good deed goes unpunished  ::) .  That has happened on a number of occasions.  The wire that was used is not silver in color but more of a rust tinted dark brown. 14/15/16 gauge wire I think . I have seen enough of it to just go by the look.

The only issue other then getting pre-rusted wire is that IF it was intended to be installed as safety wire, in every picture that I have seen and from my own car, it isn't installed properly.
So if it's going to be reinstalled as functional safety wire, then it's Concours incorrect?
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

Coralsnake

• SAAC Member
  • The original Influencer
    • View Profile
    • theCoralsnake.com
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2019, 07:39:40 AM »
It should be noted the 1968 wires were installed differently...different plant and year

polyglas

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2019, 09:28:22 AM »
It should be noted the 1968 wires were installed differently...different plant and year

Different calipers and caliper brackets also on 69-70.

shelbydoug

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2019, 09:32:25 AM »

Well yes. Not to confuse a '67, a '68 and a '69 install? It would be merely a curiosity to see who was a more retarded assembly line? It's probably a 50/50 thing whether or not the workers just had an attitude about, "we'll install it any way we want to, so don't tell us how to do our job", or whether or not they were even given installation instructions?

The '68s were installed, more correctly as opposed to not even close at San Jose. Might have had to do something with the work/release program from the local prison? I can't speak for the '69s but even if they are right, it took three years to work it out? How long did it take to get the lug nuts right?

Still, if you install the wire so it works like it should, then that's wrong as originally delivered. What to do, what to do? Wrong thinking is right thinking or is it right thinking is wrong thinking? Plus now the Judges are going to have a dial caliper or a digital one?  :o
« Last Edit: May 28, 2019, 09:36:30 AM by shelbydoug »
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

tonys_shelby

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2019, 10:14:47 AM »
I did have a question Jeff looking at the pictures, the anti rattle clips that I installed one at each end of the caliper and the picture and this shows one solid one that goes all the way across and is that red paint marking that I see at the ball joint nuts?

J_Speegle

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
    • ConcoursMustang.com
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2019, 03:23:50 PM »
I did have a question Jeff looking at the pictures, the anti rattle clips that I installed one at each end of the caliper and the picture and this shows one solid one that goes all the way across and is that red paint marking that I see at the ball joint nuts?

Sounds like you have a later car and in turn the later version of the calipers. Reason I posted when the example was built.

Remember that 67 is a difficult year with lots and lots of Ford/San Jose changes as well as Shelby changes so not everything you might see on one car will apply to yours without doing some, often deep, study

tonys_shelby

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2019, 04:00:05 PM »
My car is Jan of 67 should it have the one piece? If so is it the same as a '66? when I ordered my caliper rebuild kit it came with the small anti rattle clips so I just figured that is what all 67's had.

J_Speegle

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
    • ConcoursMustang.com
« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2019, 07:12:09 PM »
My car is Jan of 67 should it have the one piece?............

Looking at other unrestored Jan build San Jose Mustangs and Shelby's it appears that cars built during that month typically had the later version of the calipers with the two smaller individual retainers rather than the earlier one piece

tonys_shelby

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2019, 06:40:55 AM »
Thanks so much!