News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

C4ZE-Z2 -what is its application?

Started by Pcunder, May 28, 2019, 10:33:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pcunder

I have access to what appears to be an original 2/65 radiator for a later 65 with an A/T.

What does the soldered on 'Z' tag mean?
Looks like it may be over another letter...

It's a bit early for my 66 but thought ii might grab it if it's something unique/special.

Thx,

Phil

CharlesTurner

Z2 was the radiator code for an automatic V8
Charles Turner
MCA/SAAC Judge

Pcunder

Thanks, Charles...

So G2 = M/T
& Z2 = A/T

How thick should the core be and what # of rows...?
(Trying to see if it's been re-cored.)

Does this rad look original?

I guess this would be waaaay too early for a 66-GT350 with an AT, right?

Hov

You may want to consider heating to remove the Z plate, as a spare one of mine was soldered on from the factory, what was underneath  ????  A raised factory "G" , which made me extremely happy.  I  gave the radiator to an old friend of mine who was missing one for his '65 GT350.   

Bob Gaines

The soldered on small letter tag was seldom seen but was used when a update was done on another application radiator to mark it after it had been modified for the different application.  Yes way too early for a 66 production car.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Shelby_r_b

Quote from: Bob Gaines on May 28, 2019, 07:09:16 PM
The soldered on small letter tag was seldom seen but was used when a update was done on another application radiator to mark it after it had been modified for the different application.  Yes way too early for a 66 production car.

Isn't it possible that a Carryover 66 Shelby could have a G2 radiator dated 2 65?  It's my understanding that many of the early Carryovers from the first DSO had 3 65 dated G2 radiators.

Correction - I just noticed this was in reference to automatic transmissions...oops!  ;D
Nothing beats a classic!

Pcunder

I know not many carry-over 65s were Autos, but when was the order for the 250 placed to bridge the 1-month gap between the 65 & 66 production years..?

How many A/T GT-350s were there in those 250?

I'm just wondering if this rad has any value other than as a heat exchanger in a restored 65 A/T Mustang...

Any other codes besides 'G' that could possibly be under that 'Z'?

Phil

J_Speegle

Quote from: Shelby_r_b on May 28, 2019, 08:17:25 PM
Isn't it possible that a Carryover 66 Shelby could have a G2 radiator dated 2 65?  It's my understanding that many of the early Carryovers from the first DSO had 3 65 dated G2 radiators.

"Possible" doesn't equal "did" or even "likely" ;) . I have to go back to March or so to find G2's installed in Shelby's for a Feb 65 date. I don't have a regular Mustang from that late period with a 2 65 either if anyone is wondering

Just an observation

Quote from: Pcunder on May 28, 2019, 08:52:27 PM

You want possibilities (as it could be any of the dozen or so others) or observed?
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

CharlesTurner

Could be a Y2, but that would be for a standard V8 with manual trans. 
Charles Turner
MCA/SAAC Judge

6s1640

According to the AMK rad tag site, the C4ZE-8005-Z2 is also without AC.  The C4ZE-8005-G2 was with AC.   (1965 V8 MT only - w AC or XC, HIPO)  This radiator also came the with fan shroud for improved cooling.

Cory

https://www.amkproducts.com/parts/ford/radiator-tags/

SFM6S087

I know not many carry-over 65s were Autos, but when was the order for the 250 placed to bridge the 1-month gap between the 65 & 66 production years..?

How many A/T GT-350s were there in those 250?

I'm just wondering if this rad has any value other than as a heat exchanger in a restored 65 A/T Mustang...

Phil

The earliest of the carryover DSO's is dated in mid-June for some cars that were produced at San Jose in very early July. The radiator date code of 3-65 is common in the very first 100 or so carryovers. I'm unaware of any with 2-65. But that's just one month earlier. So while unlikely, I don't see it completely out of the realm of possibility.

The only auto trans carryover was 6S023 which was acquired outside the usual DSO process specifically as the auto trans prototype. So for 251 of the 252 carryovers, an auto trans radiator would not be correct.

Steve

Pcunder

Steve, that is exactly the kind of info I needed,,,so thx for that. Where'd u get that?

Cory, that's awesome info, too. I'll hit the AMK site to get the other coded options.

I had no idea there were so many other specs/applications.

Thanx to all for you input.

Phil

SFM6S087

Quote from: Pcunder on May 29, 2019, 02:22:28 PM
Steve, that is exactly the kind of info I needed,,,so thx for that. Where'd u get that?

Cory, that's awesome info, too. I'll hit the AMK site to get the other coded options.

I had no idea there were so many other specs/applications.

Thanx to all for you input.

Phil

40-Plus years of research - assisted in large part by the members of the Carryover Owners Group. If you own a carryover (or know someone who does) send me a PM or an email. I'm always looking to recruit new owners.

If you'd like to learn more about the carryovers you could check out the "Unique Features" page on our web site at www.CarryoverGT350.com

Steve