News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

Detroit locker questions

Started by paul, May 28, 2019, 05:57:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

paul

I seem to remember vaguely how to confirm if a rear end has a locker without disassembling it.
1) without axels installed, you can see right through the 3rd member, end to end.
2) with weight off the rear wheels, turning one wheel by hand also turns other side wheel.
3) with weight off the rear wheels, if one wheel is turned, you cannot hold the other side static.

Any thoughts/corrections? Thank you in advance. Paul.

SFM5S000

Quote from: paul on May 28, 2019, 05:57:26 PM
I seem to remember vaguely how to confirm if a rear end has a locker without disassembling it.
1) without axels installed, you can see right through the 3rd member, end to end.
2) with weight off the rear wheels, turning one wheel by hand also turns other side wheel.
3) with weight off the rear wheels, if one wheel is turned, you cannot hold the other side static.

Any thoughts/corrections? Thank you in advance. Paul.

Hello Paul,

#1 Yes, you should be able to see through with no pin obstructing the view. It doesn't guarantee it's a locker though. This applies to #2, so long as you know it's not a spool (drag race app.)
#2  Yes, both wheels will turn the same direction at the same time whether forwards or backwards
#3 No, you can jerk/rotate one wheel to unlock the locker and hold one static. There is a definitive "click" when it unlocks, and will continue to click as you rotate it forward.

I've done #3 numerous times when the car is up on stands during the winter months. I remove all wheels so not to flat spot the tires from sitting.

Cheers,
~Earl J

paul

gt350hr

Yes Paul , Earl's description is more accurate . I will add that when doing test three there is an audible "clicking " sound when the locker is "ratcheting" and a notable snap or clunk when it re engages. The jerking motion Earl describes is necessary  to overcome the spring that loads the side gear into the "central driver" that is splined to the outer shell.

Randy
Celebrating 46 years of drag racing 6S477 and no end in sight.