News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

Help Identifying a Drive Shaft

Started by Shelby_r_b, May 30, 2019, 11:49:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shelby_r_b

I recently purchased a 66 GT350, and the car came with an additional drive shaft, and I'm trying to figure out the application.

Attached are pictures - please let me know your thoughts, as I've never had to ID a drive shaft before.

Thanks!
Nothing beats a classic!

Shelby_r_b

Nothing beats a classic!

gt350hr

You need to measure the length. It is a lower power or automatic driveshaft as it has the small Mechanics style internal snap ring U joint.
  Randy
Celebrating 46 years of drag racing 6S477 and no end in sight.

J_Speegle

Its possible that its a "made up"/non-original driveline.  But what it will fits starts with measurements as Randy stated
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

Shelby_r_b

Thanks to you both! We're should I start and finish my measurements? Is it the overall length, or is it just the length of the shaft tube itself?

Nothing beats a classic!

JD

as long as you have the tape measure out do both, might also do yoke center-line to yoke center-line and the diameter.

More info the better
'67 Shelby Headlight Bucket Grommets https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=254.0
'67 Shelby Lower Grille Edge Protective Strip https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=1237.0

Shelby_r_b

OK - I took some measurements, and here is what I got:

- Overall end to end length:  59"
- Forward center pivot point to aft center pivot point:  51"
- Shaft diameter:  3"

BTW - can anything be made out from the numbers / stampings in the pictures?

The prior owner ran a restoration / auto shop in the 80s / 90s, and picked up a lot of parts over the years.  When he passed in 1996, his widow took sole possession of the car and had one of her relatives go through the parts to determine what might be for the Shelby; which is how this drive shaft came with the car.  However, the car has it's full drive train already installed.

Thanks!
Nothing beats a classic!

J_Speegle

Quote from: Shelby_r_b on May 30, 2019, 05:44:12 PM
BTW - can anything be made out from the numbers / stampings in the pictures?

Don't think much they appear to carry the same casting marks as driveline end yokes used on many V8 Mustang and other Ford product applications in 66. Have examples from C, A and K code automatics from what I found on an initial peek at my pictures
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge