Author Topic: Vacuum Advanced Distributor  (Read 2030 times)

cobradad

• View Profile
Vacuum Advanced Distributor
« on: June 01, 2019, 01:49:01 AM »
The engine I built for my GT350 38 years ago is finally at retirement age. It s burning a little too much oil and runs hot in stop and go traffic.
I am looking to have a engine built to do a swap. The engine comes with a vacuum advance distributor. My problem. I also have been running a paxton that came with the car and which Craig C recently rebuilt for me. I would like to use it again on the new engine.
Question. Can the paxton be hooked up with a vacuum advance distributor in place? \My current distributor is not so I am not sure how the hose would hook up with the carb enclosed. Would I need a plate under the carb housing? Would that work? The alternative is to pay extra for a non vacuum unit and MSD type box to drive it.
Any help and advice on this is appreciated.
Thanks,
Clarence

roddster

• View Profile
Re: Vacuum Advanced Distributor
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2019, 11:12:48 AM »
  Sub issue:  The 67 GT 350's Hi-po 289 did not come with a vacuum advance distributor.  So, I'm wondering this;  was there an advantage to using the V/A distributor in this set up?
  There are more learned Paxton experts here.  I am not on that list.

cobradad

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2019, 03:14:58 PM »
  Sub issue:  The 67 GT 350's Hi-po 289 did not come with a vacuum advance distributor.  So, I'm wondering this;  was there an advantage to using the V/A distributor in this set up?

My point exactly. The company that is building the engine builds all engines standard with a V/A distributor.
I would have to upgrade to a Pro Series Distributor and whatever I need to drive it. I would like to keep the engine looking as close to how it was bought/built as possible. I emailed Craig C but he has not answered back either.
Clarence
« Last Edit: June 02, 2019, 04:01:56 PM by cobradad »

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
  • Original Posts:14706
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2019, 04:14:41 PM »

My point exactly. The company that is building the engine builds all engines standard with a V/A distributor.
I would have to upgrade to a Pro Series Distributor and whatever I need to drive it. I would like to keep the engine looking as close to how it was bought as possible. I emailed Craig C but he has not answered back either.
ClaRENCE
FYI Ford VA rebuilt distributors are commonly used by engine builders because they are a economical readily available auto parts store alternative. For a vintage look then I would use a duel point Fomoco/Autolite or Motorcraft  Dist . The duel point is what came on factory Paxton cars typically. The Motorcraft can typically be had for a much lower price because of the trademark. The Trademark is turned to backside anyway if clocked correctly in the hole. You will have the right vintage look that way. As far as compromise the Pertronix is a popular upgrade that isn't as visually obtrusive compared to a V/A or aftermarket dist.  Just a few choices that you will have to make. FYI it was common for Ford to market a duel point back in the 70's using a typical VA dist case and then install a steel cover over the VA boss slot. Others have machined off the VA boss on the case leaving only the slot which they filled in with epoxy and then disguised it by painting the entire case with a die cast color paint. Just some ideas for a more vintage look. On these improvised duel points the single plate and advance mechanism is replaced with a duel point plate and a centrifugal advance springs are substituted and set up. ford and up until the past few years the aftermarket used to sell a conversion kit for just such modifications.   We used to take the guts out of the dist and leave the advance pod for a original look . The duel point gave better spark and you could really tell the difference in the seat of your pants when the centrifugal advance was set up to advance more aggressively compared to the factory VA dist. The advance curves on the factory dist were designed with emissions efficiency in mind and not performance like the factory HP duel point dist. Of course the technology of the after market dist is much superior compared to 50 year old school tech , but the new doesn't have the look of the old. That is if old school is what you want.   
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
  • Original Posts:14706
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2019, 11:24:06 PM »
Here is a example on ebay of the duel point conversion plate that can be added to a non duel point distributor body. https://www.ebay.com/itm/Ford-dual-point-plate-HiPo-289-Cobra-427-USA-made-Shelby-Mustang/392307053532 . If adding pertronix you can just add to what you got and forget about the duel point plate. Of course this is just one part of the equation . Different springs and time on a dist machine to adjust advance curve is what really makes the big difference IMO would be still needed.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

cobradad

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2019, 11:59:30 PM »
Hi Bob,
Thanks for the information. We can always count on you to help us out when needed. The distributor currently in the car is a dual point. As mentioned it has been there for the 38 years I've had it. Who knows how many years it was running before that. I've replaced the internals over the years as needed, thought about pertronix but never pulled the trigger. Maybe the least expensive option is find a shop to do a professional rebuild on it?
Clarence