News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

shock tower caps

Started by johnzajc@gmail.com, June 03, 2019, 05:39:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

johnzajc@gmail.com

Shock tower caps for 1969 Shelby are they phosphated or natural metal---thanks

acman63

if they have a welded washer they are painted
SAAC Concours Chairman

Owner Shelby Parts and Restoration Since 1977

SAAC original first year member

J_Speegle

Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

Bob Gaines

Quote from: J_Speegle on June 03, 2019, 05:44:51 PM

For those reading, the Welder Washers on the upper shock caps/brackets are what the picture is about. Disregard the odd master cylinder in the picture.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

johnzajc@gmail.com

thank you---if painted , is color of brace or black---if not painted are they natural or phosphate  thank you

Bob Gaines

Quote from: johnzajc@gmail.com on June 03, 2019, 07:41:15 PM
thank you---if painted , is color of brace or black---if not painted are they natural or phosphate  thank you
John, your 69/70 car should have the welded on washers. The welded on washer caps are painted semi gloss black  . The braces were painted with a batch paint typically referred to as slop gray.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

johnzajc@gmail.com

Thank you ---I painted both cars wrong, should of asked earlier---back to striping and repainting---never enough time to do it correct first time  but always time to do it again

J_Speegle

If your redoing things make sure the rest of the items on a 69 Dearborn car are painted slop gray also. They don't and often were not all the same gray

Other items include battery tray, hood latch support, lower front fender brackets and coil spring covers. Another possibility or two depending on how your car was outfitted/options
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

johnzajc@gmail.com

Thanks---The car is one of 18 in graber blue and white interior. It is also the car that was ordered by Shelby Executive office to be used as company car.

shelbymann1970

Here is a pic of mine. Disregard the VIN stamp as it was done to export cars in Belgium. Also notice the tall nuts for the caps. Gary
Shelby owner since 1984
SAAC member since 1990
1970 GT350 4 speed(owned since 1985).
  MCA gold 2003(not anymore)
1969 Mach1 428SCJ 4 speed R-code (owned since 2013)

Bob Gaines

Quote from: shelbymann1970 on June 08, 2019, 06:53:22 AM
Here is a pic of mine. Disregard the VIN stamp as it was done to export cars in Belgium. Also notice the tall nuts for the caps. Gary

Yes the tall nuts are typical on 69/70 Dearborn produced Shelby's cars. It is also typical that they get replaced with a earlier style for some reason during many restorations. A small detail but once you are aware it is very annoying to see wrong.

shelbymann1970

Bob, there was a guy in Indiana who bought fasteners by the 55 barrel drums back in the day. He would set up here once a year at a certain show. He ALWAYS had those nuts. I bought all he had when he was here. I asked if he had those core support clips for the core support seal(for cars that had them clipped on)and he said possibly. Then I never saw him again at shows.  My car had the originals and that got the ball rolling for other cars that I have done. Given sets of 6 to friends before for that finishing touch. Gary
Shelby owner since 1984
SAAC member since 1990
1970 GT350 4 speed(owned since 1985).
  MCA gold 2003(not anymore)
1969 Mach1 428SCJ 4 speed R-code (owned since 2013)