News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

NOS original script dual points, questions !

Started by Harris Speedster, June 04, 2019, 10:48:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Harris Speedster

I dug out three sets of Ford original point sets.
Yes, they are the straight dual point  line type.
Just like the hipo dual point that a saac member bought a few weeks.

Question;\
both have there original boxes
one set has auto lite stamped and spelled out >>> Red box >> DP-3  Faa 12171-A

another set has Ford inside the oval which is stamped. >>>> Blue box >>> B7A-12171- C

The autolite, what year Shelby or Cobra would they be appropriate for <<< 66-67 ?

The Ford oval set, again Shelby or Cobra years ?  >>>> Could they be early 63 thru early 65 built cars ?

Do these interchange with big blocks dual points.?
It's been a few decades, but if memory serves, they sure looked a lot a like?
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Next, quite an oddity, and maybe a break point in advertising?
The Blue ford box, has the fomoco in big block letters, and then off to the side, it has the ford script in the logo.

No matter how trivial, >>> this must have been a break point <<< when Ford was shifting to the blurred ford gt on the red box ?

I can further this , I went back and looked at some 1950's thru early 1960's, they are boxed with red detail, and
had the large fomoco block letter's, no ford script in a oval though

Is this close to correct timelines >> for Fords logo's in those era's ?

I am stopping here, as I just thought of Rotunda  with the star, they squeezed in between the ones above ?

Which script would be appropriate for a oct build 67 350 ?

Always finding more little high point treasures in Coppers decades long collection.

Thanks guys,
John

Is this the first futuristic exotic in the world?
Size of an ac cobra, but built in 1935 !
https://www.autopuzzles.com/forum/features-stories-and-photos/harris-fwd-speedster-the-story/?PHPSESSID=v4pqtv6hep4ff4rvalrc9qsnj7

gt350hr

John ,
       The AUTOLITE stamped points were introduced during '66 and ran through some time in '71 before the Motorcraft stamped versions. Early versions had a dark gray "paper" insulator material and later ones had a white nylon insulator that was prone to cracking and falling apart over time.
   I have several sets of the transistorized points ( also called "low inertia") that have the oval and FoMoCo inside the oval. these came from SAI through the late Ray Wolfe (rip) . I have also seen "standard production" points with the ''block'' FoMoCo stamped on them. All of those have the gray paper insulator. These would all be pre '66 with the paper insulator. FAA was the early prefix for them.  The dual stamped one is certainly an oddity. Others may have more input on the subject and maybe pictures
Celebrating 46 years of drag racing 6S477 and no end in sight.

s2ms

John,

The DP-3 points are 6-cylinder. They look just like the DP-6 HiPo dual points but are a flipped "mirror image". Not sure about the B7A-12171-C's but saw one reference they are for the supercharged 1957 312.

Dave
Dave - 6S1757

Harris Speedster

S2MS, Gt 350Hr

You know, I compared that set to a C7 dual point hipo distr I have here,

Thank you Dave, you are spot on >> when compared side to side>>> the Autolite's are reversed and mirror image, glad I found that out.

But, The ford script points are identical to the hipo's , and they have the grayish paper cam rider.

So, the B7 points with the ford script in the oval, would be concours correct for a late oct build 67 gt 350 ?
I want to at least hold onto a set before selling advertising them here at saac.
John
https://www.autopuzzles.com/forum/features-stories-and-photos/harris-fwd-speedster-the-story/?PHPSESSID=v4pqtv6hep4ff4rvalrc9qsnj7

gt350hr

John ,
     If the distributor housing is an Autolite , it certainly would have Autolite points . "I" feel that even if the distributor housing says FoMoCo  , a '67 GT350 would have had Autolite points with the gray paper insulator because the Autolite Division ( that made the distributors) would have the fastest turn over of points compared to a "dealers" shelf. Bob or Jeff would certainly know what is "acceptable" without a point deduction.
     Randy

Harris Speedster

Randy,
As mentioned above, trying to figure things out >> In fact,  this was a time when Ford was bouncing all over with company brand names.

The 67 Hipo / Shelby dual point I referenced , is a FoMoCo >> it is a C 7 early unit.

Unless Bob or Jeff have any other idea's for concours judgement, , I am going to keep a set of the Ford script points and think of them as correct?

Thanks guys,
John

Bossbill

Quote from: gt350hr on June 05, 2019, 11:50:52 AM
SNIP...
Bob or Jeff would certainly know what is "acceptable" without a point deduction.
     Randy

Are you referring to the points? Or did I misunderstand and you are referring to the Autolite v. FoMoCo distributor?
Bill

67 GT350 Actual Build 3/2/67  01375
70 B302   6/6/70  0T02G160xxx

KR Convertible

John,

Nobody will know but you.  They don't look under the cap.    ;)

Paul

Bob Gaines

Quote from: Harris Speedster on June 05, 2019, 12:36:59 PM
Randy,
As mentioned above, trying to figure things out >> In fact,  this was a time when Ford was bouncing all over with company brand names.

The 67 Hipo / Shelby dual point I referenced , is a FoMoCo >> it is a C 7 early unit.

Unless Bob or Jeff have any other idea's for concours judgement, , I am going to keep a set of the Ford script points and think of them as correct?

Thanks guys,
John
If as it applies to concours judged venues none take the caps off to look inside/underneath regardless of venue or class. If for your own knowledge then the 65,66,and early 67 typically took the earlier type and the later 67 the Autolite .
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

gt350hr

Quote from: Bossbill on June 05, 2019, 12:58:06 PM
Quote from: gt350hr on June 05, 2019, 11:50:52 AM
SNIP...
Bob or Jeff would certainly know what is "acceptable" without a point deduction.
     Randy

Are you referring to the points? Or did I misunderstand and you are referring to the Autolite v. FoMoCo distributor?

Points .  Yes it was a poor attempt at a play on words LOL  See why I always refer to "the judge" .  "I" wasn't sure if caps were lifted and Bob confirmed they weren't.
     Randy

Bob Gaines

In concours judging the rule of thumb is - Minimal touching in concours judging = minimal chance of breaking or otherwise damaging something. Minimal drama = ;D concours judge .
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Harris Speedster

Boss bill,
Bill >> Referring to the points.

Kr conv,
Paul
As a pun, points being about the points, >> a picture of the points , under the cap, would / might be worth a 1000 words for top awards.
If not, why even worry about dates, part numbers on the inside of wheels, oil galleries etc.  ???????

MODIFIED>> just left and read new topics, ironically this was just posted >>>   65 66 GT350 Assembly line Looking Maroon Air Filters
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
No lecture, just thoughts on high points, no argument intended;

Senior Judging at Invitationals >> in which you submit your car for scrutiny before getting an Invitation, yes, it counts for high points.
Some Judge for as much as 1000 points. Competition is stiff for world top awards.

A class invitational " Common " can be for Italian built cars, German cars, English built cars etc, not the same as a Invitational for the best of best of all models from around the world

I have had rude awakenings regarding this, as the Speedster will be in the toughest classes being scrutinized for literally everything.

Bob, Minimal touching, I agree, but a picture is worth a thousand words for the ultimate points.

BTW, shouldn't a real early 67 Shelby have a hipo FoMoCo distr ?
Respectfully submitted,
John

Bob Gaines

Quote from: Harris Speedster on June 06, 2019, 08:52:29 AM
Boss bill,
Bill >> Referring to the points.

Kr conv,
Paul
As a pun, points being about the points, >> a picture of the points , under the cap, would / might be worth a 1000 words for top awards.
If not, why even worry about dates, part numbers on the inside of wheels, oil galleries etc???????

MODIFIED>> just left and read new topics, ironically this was just posted >>>   65 66 GT350 Assembly line Looking Maroon Air Filters
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
No lecture, just thoughts on high points, no argument intended;

Senior Judging at Invitationals >> in which you submit your car for scrutiny before getting an Invitation, yes, it counts for high points.
Some Judge for as much as 1000 points. Competition is stiff for world top awards.

A class invitational " Common " can be for Italian built cars, German cars, English built cars etc, not the same as a Invitational for the best of best of all models from around the world

I have had rude awakenings regarding this, as the Speedster will be in the toughest classes being scrutinized for literally everything.

Bob, Minimal touching, I agree, but a picture is worth a thousand words for the ultimate points.

BTW, shouldn't a real early 67 Shelby have a hipo FoMoCo distr ?
Respectfully submitted,
John
John , it can be confusing on knowing and understanding the qualifications for the different classes at various Mustang/Shelby venues let alone the multitude of multi make concours venues. Taking SAAC for instance the class that has to do with correct part numbers and date codes  is the premiere class /DIV I . In the other class concours/DIV II the part has to look correct but date codes and casting ,engineering or part numbers are not required. I think many people building cars to the DIV II standard may choose to occasional try for the dated correct engineering number parts as icing on the cake so to speak. Not required but desired. ;) As far as oil galleries I remember when there was uproar on the show field when we started using flash lights which were looked at as "unfair" .I can only imagine the cry's of foul if we instituted borascopes to check the internals of a engine for correctness. The early 67's used FOMOCO marked dist and later 67 Autolite. 

Bossbill

Gad, I thought I was the pun master (not here -- but in real life) so I can't believe I missed the "point".

I just got in my replacement dual point plate for my FoMoCo distributor. Someone has converted to Petronics (and their plate) and lost the original plate. A pointless exercise in my book.
It came with Niehoff FF-4HV points and condenser, so this topic drew my interest.

I try, where I can, to use real FoMoCo parts in my build so the Niehoffs may have to go.
Bill

67 GT350 Actual Build 3/2/67  01375
70 B302   6/6/70  0T02G160xxx

Harris Speedster

Guys,
This " point " turned into a very entertaining and knowledgeable topic.

I was told by a long term Senior Judge, to do just that, take pictures of items that are " original " to the build dates and times of the cars that you will not be able to see when asembled.
Date codes, part numbers, correct scripts and part names>> autolite, rotunda, FoMoCo, motorcraft etc >> are just those points.

I truly thank you guys for the input, and whomever buys one of the sets of points from Coopers collection, please take a picture of them before putting the cap on, so "if" a class win boils down to obscure points, you win !!!!!!!

Bob, fomoco is what came with the early 67, thank you as always,

Smile guys, love being a long time member of the club !!!!!!!!!!!!
Respectfully submitted,
John