Author Topic: Radio antenna  (Read 2385 times)

roddster

• View Profile
Radio antenna
« on: June 05, 2019, 09:56:25 AM »
  So, here I am reading the 2019 registry.  All the 2000 series Cobras listed with "readio and antenna".  But, looking at the photos I see no antennas.  So, where is it hidden at?  Trying to learn something new every day.  Thanks.

Dan Case

• CSX2310
    • View Profile
Re: Radio antenna
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2019, 10:04:22 AM »
  So, here I am reading the 2019 registry.  All the 2000 series Cobras listed with "readio and antenna".  But, looking at the photos I see no antennas.  So, where is it hidden at?  Trying to learn something new every day.  Thanks.

Shelby American installation wise, they collapse telescopically into a housing in the boot compartment behind the passenger side. I am aware of three different assemblies all made by one supplier: one for chassis up to CSX2200, one for chassis CSX2201 and later, and one for over the counter service assembly. Cables vary also. (There was more than version of radio also. Almost no Cobra subject is simple.)

Shown is the CSX2201 and later style retracted (our black car).

« Last Edit: June 05, 2019, 10:15:33 AM by Dan Case »
Dan Case
1964 Cobra owner since 1983, Cobra crazy since I saw my first one in the mid 1960s in Huntsville, AL.

Cobra Ned

• SAAC Registrar
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2019, 12:03:06 PM »
I beg to differ. Absolutely none of the 2000-series cars were listed as having a readio and antenna. No one should be enjoying a book while driving, especially in a Cobra.

Dan Case

• CSX2310
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2019, 01:17:40 PM »
We have owned CSX2310 since late 1983 I have still not figured out what good a radio in a Cobra does unless you are near an AM station, you like that AM station's program selection, and the engine is not running. With the engine running the stock steel core secondary ignition wires cause interference and the solid valve lifters are not exactly silent. Once moving engine song and wind noise drown out the little speaker pointed to the transmission tunnel. When we bought the car a prior owner had a large auxiliary speaker jammed behind the passenger seat (seat all the way forward) and the “sound” was terrible. I think I removed that speaker behind the seat before washing the car the first time……………..

Move the  exhaust outlets from the rear to the side and you get real nice ‘stero’ to listen to.
Dan Case
1964 Cobra owner since 1983, Cobra crazy since I saw my first one in the mid 1960s in Huntsville, AL.

6s2055

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2019, 03:07:56 PM »
Am a little confused Ned. Know my first Cobra (still can’t find) had a Radio between the dash braces. The radio had a front plate that rapped around the braces, think the radio was a Motorola.Thought that was an option as the bracket fit was made to fit the around the dash braces. The recessed antenna was on the driver side rear, accessed thru the trunk. While I wasn’t the first owner it really was a waste since really couldn’t hear it! Put an 8 track tape in the glove box of the second Cobra, another waste!

Cobrabob

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2019, 05:02:54 PM »
Cobra radios (Ned's right, there were none with "readios) were an exercise in futility. As I understand it, they were originally aftermarket items intended for trucks, probably hung underneath the dash, hence the downward facing, inaudible speaker. One neat feature was that they were polarity-flexible; there was a small plug on the bottom that could be rotated and switch the radio from positive to negative ground so it could be used in vehicles with either polarity. Some said Cobra on the faceplate, others Motorola. I heard mine once, on a quiet evening at low speed. Then it quit, tried to get it fixed but radio repair shops just laughed at me.