Author Topic: Shoulder Belt Length?  (Read 1713 times)

cboss70

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
Shoulder Belt Length?
« on: June 05, 2019, 10:00:11 AM »
I was offered up a pair of Shelby shoulder belts for what the owner was claiming to be 67 belts (no tags).  The length from the very bottom of the vinyl inverted "V" area at the top near wheel it goes into the inertia reel to the tip of the end chrome buckle looked a little short.  I want to have the owner measure them for me before I spend anymore time on it.  Can someone post the length of those shoulder belt straps to arm me with the correct info. Thanks in advance.

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
  • Original Posts:14706
    • View Profile
Re: Shoulder Belt Length?
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2019, 11:36:44 AM »
I was offered up a pair of Shelby shoulder belts for what the owner was claiming to be 67 belts (no tags).  The length from the very bottom of the vinyl inverted "V" area at the top near wheel it goes into the inertia reel to the tip of the end chrome buckle looked a little short.  I want to have the owner measure them for me before I spend anymore time on it.  Can someone post the length of those shoulder belt straps to arm me with the correct info. Thanks in advance.
I hope the belts have the original inertia reel retractors attached to the belts otherwise they are not worth any time IMO let alone money. Stuart @ Python Restoration can make up new belts with the correct web pattern . If the belts have the retractors then you should be more concerned about the correct retractor = $$$  IMO. 
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Shelby_r_b

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2019, 12:00:50 PM »
I hope the belts have the original inertia reel retractors attached to the belts otherwise they are not worth any time IMO let alone money. Stuart @ Python Restoration can make up new belts with the correct web pattern . If the belts have the retractors then you should be more concerned about the correct retractor = $$$  IMO.

+1 on Stuart @ Python Restoration.  Not only can Stuart create the belts, but he can also supply replacement retrators - both original restored and reproductions... and he has date tags that can be added to the belts.
Nothing beats a classic!

1967 eight barrel

« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2019, 02:03:07 AM »
Stewart hasn't had any OE retractors in some time. I bought the last one he had a few months back because the rachet was ruined on mine. he does convert a Corvette retractor for use as an inertia reel harnesess.
                                                                                        -Keith

lawrence67

• Paul Lawrence
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2019, 11:09:01 PM »
Been there, done that.  If you don't have the retractors or the boots you don't have anything of substantial value.  Stuart at Python has webbing and  can make a very nice belt system but if you want totally original stuff there is a problem.  He is the best but the reality is the original retractors are rare and $$$$.  I was lucky and had something that he worked with.  Beautiful work, he matched my original rear belts and as discussed, he rewebbed my stuff.  Very satisfied with his work but don't harpoon yourself on the easy stuff. Webbing and buckels are available.  FYI!