News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

66 Ten Spokes

Started by SFcarbuff, June 05, 2019, 04:43:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SFcarbuff

Looking for sujestions on what to use to clean the 10 spokes.  Thanks

CSX 4133

The best wheel cleaner is Sonax Full effect plus, it's PH neutral (safe for all wheels) works to remove stubborn brake dust, dirt and debris easily. I use it on modern to antique wheels and I'm always happy with it's cleaning ability. It's not cheap but it even removed brake dust that had been on used wheels for 2+ years. Follow the directions and you will be amazed how clean those ten spokes can be.

SFcarbuff

Thanks for the info.  will try it!!

sfm5s081

hmmmmm mine have a lot of patina on them. I was just thinking today if there was anything to do to clean them up. Soda blasting maybe? I'll try the above mentioned cleaner

CSX 4133

If the "patina" is non dirt/brake dust related you might be disappointed. You might give Gibbs oil a try, it works well in restoring and preserving metal surfaces. I've used it on track used Torque Thrust wheels and they cleaned up amazingly well. Gibbs works well on all bare metals, you can coat metal with it and it won't rust for up to a year and you can even paint over the treated surface.

http://www.roadsters.com/gibbs/

SFcarbuff

Thanks my son has some Gibbs for his bike. 

SFcarbuff

The Sonax worked great!   Had to use a soft brush on the back side for some tuff spots.

6s2020

Vapour or Hydroblast, in other words, water and powder blasting.

And polish, not to shinny to be correct.

shelbydoug

It's seems ironic to me that what likely was the original finish on these wheels is seen as too shiny?

I'd have to agree that vapor blasting seems the best for either of the 10 spoke wheels but I think maybe that the highlights should be polished first, then vapor blasted?

I think that wheel right there is about as correct as you can get?
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

Bob Gaines

Quote from: shelbydoug on June 24, 2019, 07:31:03 AM
It's seems ironic to me that what likely was the original finish on these wheels is seen as too shiny?

I'd have to agree that vapor blasting seems the best for either of the 10 spoke wheels but I think maybe that the highlights should be polished first, then vapor blasted?

Doug ,keep in mind that 66 tenspokes were polished and 67 tenspokes were machined finished. Different process's will give different look.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

shelbydoug

Quote from: Bob Gaines on June 24, 2019, 12:00:04 PM

Doug ,keep in mind that 66 tenspokes were polished and 67 tenspokes were machined finished. Different process's will give different look.

I haven't had any '66s but have three sets of 67-8s. One set of the 15's were positively polished under the clear coat. Those are the early set without the spacers.

What I have seen so far from this process is that it removes very little of the polish. I'm thinking that polish them first, then blast them. It will take some of the gleam off of the polish and put them about where you want them.

That "glowing" finish on the cast is about where they should be.

Personally I think there was just a change in the finishing process on the 15s somewhere 1/2 way through. It was just a cost reduction measure.

Those are all the "service" wheels. You've got to get original "production line" ones?  ;)

;D
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

cob4ra

Wondering if that's good on my intake manifold and oil pan ?? Thanks for posting this helpful info
1966 Shelby GT350 Hertz 1680 ( previously 6s1842;6s1818)                                                  2000 Saleen S281 Speedster.                              Previously two sunbeam tigers and have owned 24 mustangs ; 4 Mercury Cyclones and one 1960 Fiat 600!

shelbydoug

I like the finish on the castings with it. I keep finding things to do it to. Others will argue that it's not original.

...another, the power steering bracket on the later cars. Aluminum water pumps.
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

Brant

Not really what the OP asked, but the original wheels on 6S933 had a machined finish outer lip, not polished.

Here is the original finish.

The original finish would have been kept on a "survivor" condition car, but this particular car was totally restored, so the wheels were also done. Craig Conley did a fabulous job "freshening" them and getting the exact same original finish on the outer rim and the spokes.

Current plans are to have the car at SAAC44.

As far as the original question goes, I would use what someone else suggested...Sonax Full Effect Wheel Cleaner or a similar product.
-Brant

www.VirginiaClassicMustang.com

Subscribe to our Blog for the latest updates restoration projects and new parts information for 64 1/2-73 Mustangs!  http://blog.virginiaclassicmustang.com/

Like us on Facebook!  www.Facebook.com/VirginiaClassicMustang

Bob Gaines

Quote from: shelbydoug on June 24, 2019, 12:55:12 PM

I haven't had any '66s but have three sets of 67-8s. One set of the 15's were positively polished under the clear coat. Those are the early set without the spacers.

What I have seen so far from this process is that it removes very little of the polish. I'm thinking that polish them first, then blast them. It will take some of the gleam off of the polish and put them about where you want them.

That "glowing" finish on the cast is about where they should be.

Personally I think there was just a change in the finishing process on the 15s somewhere 1/2 way through. It was just a cost reduction measure.

Those are all the "service" wheels. You've got to get original "production line" ones?  ;)

;D
It was typical for the 67 tenspokes to be machined finished. A polished 67 tenspoke is out of the ordinary on a assemblyline 67. I haven't seen them all but quite a few and I haven't come across a polished 67 tenspoke that I felt confident was unmolested and polished from the MFG. There may be some early anomalies. Regardless of any few anomalies the vast majority of the ones used on 67 Shelby's were machined on the front side . It was more cost effective because it was less labor intensive. FYI original 67 tenspokes were rough cast on the back side . Later service and repros are machined on the backside too.   For those reading 67 tenspokes were commonly polished by owners when they started to dull which can cause confusion hen it it comes time to restore .
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby