Author Topic: 289 HIPO, help identify object found when changing oil  (Read 5028 times)

KR Convertible

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
Re: 289 HIPO, help identify object found when changing oil
« Reply #15 on: June 06, 2019, 04:01:24 PM »
Figures.  Try getting them out when you want them out.  Lots of swearing and beer required!

KR500

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 06, 2019, 05:40:45 PM »
Easiest way to remove them is to MIG weld a hex nut to them ( though the center of the nut ) and turn them out with the nut. You will need new ones to reinstall the baffles.

Rodney
Rodney Harrold,Ohio SAAC Rep,SAAC 68 Shelby Concourse Judge,68 GT500KR 02267

jim mac

• View Profile
Re: 289 HIPO, help identify object found when changing oil UPDATE
« Reply #17 on: June 07, 2019, 11:20:57 AM »
Thanks for all the helpful posts! 

Well, good news and bad news.  The rivet was from the passenger side valve cover.  The baffle had been "manipulated" for clearance as noted in a previous post.  The bad news is that I am missing a second rivet...  According to my records, the last time the valve covers were off was 10 years ago.  So the other rivet could have been "lost" a long time ago.  So now how do I go about chasing it down?  The oil has been changed every 1000-3000 miles (once a year) for the past 10 years, so it may have slipped through in the past. I screened the oil this time looking for it, but have not in the past.  I did check all around and it is not sitting anywhere I can see.  There was no baffle on the drivers side cover, and now there is no baffle on the passenger side...

And Bob, great use of the word "wallerd"...lol

Jim
« Last Edit: June 07, 2019, 11:23:02 AM by jim mac »
"If things seem under control, you're just not going fast enough" - Mario Andretti

JD

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 07, 2019, 11:29:42 AM »
where's the loose baffle?

As for the missing rivet, drop the oil pan look in there.
'67 Shelby Headlight Bucket Grommets https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=254.0
'67 Shelby Lower Grille Edge Protective Strip https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=1237.0

acman63

• View Profile
    • Shelby Parts and Restoration  since 1977
« Reply #19 on: June 07, 2019, 11:45:03 AM »
possible it made it to the oil change drain pan?   Might be wedged in the closest oil drain hole in the head as well
SAAC Concours Chairman

Owner Shelby Parts and Restoration Since 1977

SAAC original first year member

gt350hr

• Randy Gillis in real life - 5353 original posts
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 07, 2019, 11:48:47 AM »
   Jim,
      It could easily be "hiding"  in one of the "cheeks" of the Cobra oil pan. The worst part of this deal is the stock oil pick ups have an "anti sludge ring" ( read open hole) under the sheet metal plate. It is large enough to allow the rivet to get in and jam the pump gears in a worst case scenario.
   Randy
Celebrating 46 years of drag racing 6S477 and no end in sight.

jim mac

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 08, 2019, 06:49:40 AM »
Randy,
I thought the oil pickups had screens.
"If things seem under control, you're just not going fast enough" - Mario Andretti

gt350hr

• Randy Gillis in real life - 5353 original posts
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 10, 2019, 12:18:17 PM »
  Yes they do but if you look under the 1" wide plate by pushing the screen up , you will see the "ring" which is an open hole.
      Randy
Celebrating 46 years of drag racing 6S477 and no end in sight.

jim mac

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 11, 2019, 04:37:55 PM »
possible it made it to the oil change drain pan?   Might be wedged in the closest oil drain hole in the head as well

I did check, the oil drain holes are clear all the way down.

jim mac

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 11, 2019, 04:40:06 PM »
where's the loose baffle?

As for the missing rivet, drop the oil pan look in there.

The loose baffle was sitting on top of the rockers. It was small, just made to cover the PVC hole and attached by two rivets.

67 GT350

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 11, 2019, 07:12:02 PM »
OK, my Boss 302 had a similar issue, a stupid repro part broke off, (oil cap on the valve cover) and it fell into the engine, how I found it was I wanted to inspect the heads, so I took off the valve cover and upon inspection, I found the part just "resting" in the head in a channel.....inspect what is under your valve cover closely! If I can find the pictures I will post it.
RARE  Signature Delete