News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

289 HIPO, help identify object found when changing oil

Started by jim mac, June 05, 2019, 10:16:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jim mac

I found this stuck to my magnetic oil pan plug today when changing the oil in my GT350.  289 HIPO with aftermarket cobra oil pan.  Need help in identifying.
Any ideas?

Jim
"If things seem under control, you're just not going fast enough" - Mario Andretti

Sfm6sxxx

It looks like one of the four rivets that holds the shield on the bottom of the intake manifold.

6S1114

67 GT350

Just a guess, but could it be from the valve cover?
RARE  Signature Delete

67 GT350

Crazy, I think the intake might be correct, but I would start with the valve covers and then remove the intake. What a journey some parts can make in an engine! Good luck and it you find it was either or, you are a lucky person! PHEW!
RARE  Signature Delete

67KGTA

I'd pop the intake off as the remaining rivets could be next to vibrate or drop loose and will need to be inspected. Good luck!

JD

'67 Shelby Headlight Bucket Grommets https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=254.0
'67 Shelby Lower Grille Edge Protective Strip https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=1237.0

Karguy

Definitely either from a valve cover baffle or the shield on the bottom of the intake manifold. Start with the valve covers, much easier than the intake. Best of luck, please let us know what you find.
6S281, in my family from 1972-1983. Back home January 2017, will not leave again!

Bob Gaines

Those rivets are typically a real pain to get out when you want them to . Many times guys will tap the hole and put a bolt in its place . I would be concerned that the hole would be a little too wallerd out for the rivet to be able to tighten up going back in again. At the very least put some lock tight in the hole too if you put back a rivet or even a bolt for that matter.   
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

gt350hr

Valve cover rivet by size . The intake baffle rivet is larger in diameter. They often come out when the deflector is "manipulated" to clear poly locks.
       Randy
Celebrating 46 years of drag racing 6S477 and no end in sight.

69mach351w

Quote from: Bob Gaines on June 06, 2019, 12:01:51 AM
Those rivets are typically a real pain to get out when you want them to . Many times guys will tap the hole and put a bolt in its place . I would be concerned that the hole would be a little too wallerd out for the rivet to be able to tighten up going back in again. At the very least put some lock tight in the hole too if you put back a rivet or even a bolt for that matter.
LOL, I always wondered the correct spelling of that word 'cause my (late) Dad used it all the time ;D

tesgt350

Does the Oil Pan have Windage Trays? Could it be from that?

67 GT350

RARE  Signature Delete

OldMil

really small distributor drive gear?   seriously, keep us posted. 

mygt350

Continuous caretaker of 5S228 since May 1967

gt350hr

Quote from: tesgt350 on June 06, 2019, 11:28:14 AM
Does the Oil Pan have Windage Trays? Could it be from that?

Nope. No rivets in a tray.
Celebrating 46 years of drag racing 6S477 and no end in sight.