News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

1965 GT350 Axles

Started by cushmancomp, June 07, 2019, 12:07:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cushmancomp

I have a set of the heavier duty 65-66 Shelby 28 spline rear axles. Very rare and correct me if I am wrong.

$800 plus shipping

Jay Cushman  207 749 3307

CharlesTurner

Quote from: cushmancomp on June 07, 2019, 12:07:48 AM
I have a set of the heavier duty 65-66 Shelby 28 spline rear axles. Very rare and correct me if I am wrong.

Can you please confirm they are 28 spline.
Charles Turner
MCA/SAAC Judge

6s1640

The HiPo and LoPo 289 axles are different.  The HiPo axles have a larger OD over the LoPo axles, making the HiPo axle stiffer (less deflection) and stronger (can carry more torque), assuming the same metal alloying.  In terms of fit, they are interchangeable, same 28 splines size, same bearing size, same length.  These axles are typically not mentioned in literature as differences between a HiPo and LoPo early Mustang.  You can use LoPo axles in a HiPo K-code 9 inch rear end.  You can use a HiPo axles in a LoPo eight inch rear end.  They are completely interchangeable.  There are casting marks on the outside hub ends that are also different, but I can not remember what they are.  Does someone else?

According to the Ford Master Parts Catalog both axles meet the same descriptions at 28 spline, RH 30 1/8 and the LH at 26 5/64.  For 65/66 Mustang the MPC shows:

8 inch ring gear (LoPo) part numbers are C20Z-4234-A and C20Z-4235-A.
  9 inch ring gear (HiPo) part numbers are C50Z-4234-B and C50Z-4234-A (This could be a misprint in the MPC,  it might be C50Z-4235-A. Ford ID's parts left and right with a last
     character change in the part number.)

See images below for differences and similarities:

Cory

whiteykr

The center section of the hub where the drum fits around is different  on a 65. These center sections look more like the ones on my KR which are 31 spline.

Rickmustang

What are the difference in outside dimensions?
1965 G.T. 350
1967 Fairlane GT - 390 4-speed
1970 Mach 1 - 428CJ 4-speed/AC
1971 Mach 1 - 429CJ auto/AC
2005 Ford GT

cushmancomp

they are 28 spline but are in my storage building in Cal for another month now and I am on my way back home to Maine.

OldMil

I my have a pair of these and want to verify.  Can the OP post the shaft diameter of these for reference please?  Thanks! Jack

6s1640

I measured:
LoPo 1.05 inch
HiPo 1.20 inch

Hope that helps.

Cory

camp upshur

But is there a nexus to SAI? I can't find any, perhaps I'm missing something?

They appear the same a Edsel axles (I'm not kidding).

gt350hr

Jay,
    Production 28 spline '65 and 66 Mustang axles had a somewhat rectangular recess on the end of the axle ( used for turning ) instead of the "two drive pins" and centering hole. The A/FX axles ( 31 spline , I have two sets) did have the drive pins and may be why Charles is asking about spline count. If those are 28 spline , I believe they are from a drum brake Granada or Monarch. The rearing retainer plate and lock ring ( to me ) all point in that direction.
    Randy
Celebrating 46 years of drag racing 6S477 and no end in sight.

OldMil

My rear appears to be out of a 57 or 58 Ford and has the 2 dimple housing with no drain plug.  But the axle ends have the 2-holed (similar to 31 spline) appearance and I know this is not from the newer Granada, etc.  I will pull the axles for further ID.  Thanks for the measure...

gt350hr

57-58 axles were not that "robust" and the "hub" area was much shorter. Now that I think of it the Granada / Monarch drum brake axle had two "access holes " in the flange. It is a later axle  than the '60s , maybe a Maverick.
     Randy
Celebrating 46 years of drag racing 6S477 and no end in sight.

cushmancomp

Lets try this again......Can the real experts verify if these are the correct 65 66 Shelby and Hipo  28 spline axles? 26.250 and 30.125 long oversized 1.200+ shaft size. 1.180 right at machined area where it transitions into the splines.

6s1640

They look legit HiPo.  Any markings on the outside ends, on the extension that passes through drum?

Cory

tim65fastback

2 questions ?
1. Shafts in first pic, at beginning of thread, show the ends (drum end) solid with 2 drill holes, but shafts pictured at the end of the thread have the 'typical' hollow ends seen on every 'Lopo' 28 spline shafts that I've seen. Are we to take it that a correct HP / Shelby shaft has the solid ends with the drill holes ? (I expect they are not drill holes, I'm just trying to explain their appearance). This way , would be easy to verify a correct shaft by merely removing a wheel, or if possible, a centre cap. And 31 spline shafts from 69/70 Boss have the solid ends too, so is that a manufacturing similarity denoting the 'HP' shafts ? Reading above, mention of drive pins and centering hole, which makes sense, I'm just wanting to know if that makes them correct, in which case the last pic, would not)
2. There is mention to the diameter of the HP shaft being similar to a 31 spline. Is it possible therefore to fit a (correct length) 31 spline shaft into a small bearing axle housing ? Something I've wanted to find out but have never managed to. As would mean, for example, a 31 spline 'N' case pumpkin could swap in with a pair of aftermarket shafts. Sorry this is a 'non-original' question.