News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

Group 22 & 24 Assembly Line Battery

Started by Bossbill, February 13, 2018, 08:23:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JD

Digital files for making a mold probably exist...
'67 Shelby Headlight Bucket Grommets https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=254.0
'67 Shelby Lower Grille Edge Protective Strip https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=1237.0

shelbydoug

68 GT350 Lives Matter!

Special Ed

What about just making the top lid & bonding it to the now existing repo 24f battery & working with the autolite repo battery company as that would be alot cheaper than making the whole battery over or is there many differences between 66-67 bottom & the 68 -71 bottom  dont have a raised letter case here ANYMORE to compare the 2 bottom cases . When did the bottom case  hold down ears end?

J_Speegle

Quote from: Special Ed on March 01, 2018, 09:29:44 AM
What about just making the top lid & bonding it to the now existing repo 24f battery &...........

The challenge with this idea is that the added top would have to be very thin or the add on will look obvious IMHO

Thought about the whole 3D printing but it seems to be a half measure to the point where someone would come around, do it right (complete battery) then you out time, effort and $$'s you put into the project. A number of local libraries purchased 3D printers for the public to use  just don't have the time to teach myself another skill.
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

Special Ed

I wasnt talking about an add-on lid I meant making the 66 battery top & bonding it to existing repo case as the top is separate from the case & after battery case is loaded then the top is bonded on just below the top outer lip.

Bossbill

The battery guys indicate a group 22 is around 250 CCA and 24 is 350 CCA.
This is well within range of the small AGM batteries.
I've run a very small "Big Crank" (house brand of the Deka Battery Co.) AGM battery in my race car and these things last for years. And, as indicated in this url, they are small enough to fit in the old cases:
https://www.batterymart.com/c-big-crank-batteries.html

Their 400 CCA battery appears to fit into a group 24 case with room to spare (external F24 is about 10x7x9H). And it lists for just over $100.
Bill

67 GT350 Actual Build 3/2/67  01375
70 B302   6/6/70  0T02G160xxx

rcgt350

I bought my group 24 battery from Antique Auto Battery in 2005 and it still works flawlessly in my 67 GT 350. Never had an issue with it.

Bob Gaines

Quote from: rcgt350 on April 03, 2018, 11:22:54 PM
I bought my group 24 battery from Antique Auto Battery in 2005 and it still works flawlessly in my 67 GT 350. Never had an issue with it.
The only problem is that you have a flawlessly working 1968 era looking battery in your car and not a 67 type that would be in the car from new. Also most likely your car would have come with a group 22 battery from the factory unless it got the heavy duty battery option for some reason like air condition for example. Regardless the repro batteries are 68-70 style. FYI congrats on the long lived battery. I have not heard of one that has lasted near that long.   
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

BGlover67

For every story of a repo group 24 battery lasting 'for years', I can find you 10 stories of them dying prematurely.  I paid way too much considering it has a cheap Chinese golf cart battery inside, and now it's dead.

Thanks,
Brian R. Glover
SAAC Carolina's Northern Representative

Quote from: BGlover67 on April 04, 2018, 10:07:44 AM
For every story of a repo group 24 battery lasting 'for years', I can find you 10 stories of them dying prematurely.  I paid way too much considering it has a cheap Chinese golf cart battery inside, and now it's dead.

That I did not know.   :-\

KR Convertible

It looks like the battery from my kids "Power Wheels" cars when the were younger.

QuickSilverShelby

It's simply hard to believe that people will take the time and effort to fake an entire Shelby car and yet no one has the gumption to legitimately make a concourse correct Group 22 and Group 24 battery. 

How about make an outer shell that sleeves over an existing battery (not just the top plate that we currently have).  It would simple be plastic with two connections to hook up outer shell + and - posts to the + and - battery posts hidden within that shell case. 

With 3D printing these days, that's gotta be somewhat easy, right?

QSS
You miss 100% of the shots you don't take.

^^^^^Made even easier with today's AGM batteries. No acid to deal with and they are smaller in size.

Shelby_r_b

Quote from: QuickSilverShelby on April 04, 2018, 03:20:43 PM
It's simply hard to believe that people will take the time and effort to fake an entire Shelby car and yet no one has the gumption to legitimately make a concourse correct Group 22 and Group 24 battery. 

How about make an outer shell that sleeves over an existing battery (not just the top plate that we currently have).  It would simple be plastic with two connections to hook up outer shell + and - posts to the + and - battery posts hidden within that shell case. 

QSS

...WORD!!!!
Nothing beats a classic!

Bob Gaines

Quote from: QuickSilverShelby on April 04, 2018, 03:20:43 PM

QSS
It sounds like a good job for you  ;)  Show us how it is done. I feel your frustration and all kidding aside once you check into this I think you you will find ( like dozens of investor others over the last at least 8 years or so have found out) that the mold process to make the case is the expensive part of the issue not the battery inside. What you are suggesting is the major stumbling block that keeps it from getting done . The people investing are looking for a return on their money and aren't doing it for "the love of the cars".  The 3 D printing would be a good alternative for limited quantities IMO but I think it is too optimistic to think that a large 3 D printed part like a battery box to be very cheap. This is a complicated subject otherwise it would have been already done. The who ever someone that tries had better have the money ,marketing skills and patience besides "gumption " to make the substantial investment pay off .  A viable injection mold along with selling enough units just to get back the initial investment are just a couple hurdles . There are others.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby