Author Topic: Group 22 & 24 Assembly Line Battery  (Read 18231 times)

Bossbill

• SAAC Member
  • In the middle of Puget Sound
    • View Profile
Group 22 & 24 Assembly Line Battery
« on: February 13, 2018, 08:23:19 PM »
I believe there was a thread about batteries BTC and seeing a $17,000 B9 battery on ebay lead to restarting this thread.

According to my Marti report I have both the Extra Cooling Package and Heavy Duty Battery option on my mid year 67 GT350.
Per previous discussions, this would net me a group 24 red cap battery and not the group 22 yellow cap battery.

We used to have a chart that described what cars and their options netted what battery the car received.
I'll kick it off with what I remember (uh, oh) and update it after the experts chime in with what they know and I'll correct it.
  • Yr...Model......A/C...Smog....55A....Group....Caps.....Caution...Autolite
  • 65...GT350.................................22.........Yellow....Yellow....No Color
  • 66..GT350..................................22.........Yellow....Yellow....No Color
  • 66..GT350.....X...........................24.........Red.......Yellow....No Color
  • 67 GT350...................................22.........Yellow....Yellow....No Color
  • 67 GT350......X...or..X....or....X.....24..........Red.......Yellow....No Color
  • 67 GT500...................................24.........Yellow.....Yellow....No Color
  • 67 GT500......X...or..X....or....X.....24..........Red.......Yellow....No Color

A group 24 has been re-popped but it is for 68-up and is available from various vendors.

Here is a pic of that battery:

as sourced from Virginia Mustang.

This reproduction is service replacement version for '65-'67 and repro for '68 -'70 cars.

This should follow with a thread for the correct V/R for this battery/alternator combo.

[The above has been edited to include the updates below]
« Last Edit: July 24, 2019, 07:05:48 PM by Bossbill »
Bill

67 GT350 Actual Build 3/2/67  01375
70 B302   6/6/70  0T02G160xxx

Richstang

• View Profile
    • 1967 Shelby Research Group
Re: Group 22 & 24 Assembly Line Battery
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2018, 08:45:47 PM »
I believe I have some notes from Bob and perhaps others that detail the '67's battery a bit further;

The “Autolite” lettering was not painted red on the 1967 battery.
-GT350 no A/C received the 22F with yellow caps & yellow raised letter "caution" script
-GT500 no A/C received the 24F with yellow caps & yellow raised letter "caution" script
-GT350 w A/C (and / or Thermactor) received the 24F with red caps & yellow raised letter "caution" script
-GT500 w A/C (and / or Thermactor) received the 24F with red caps & yellow raised letter "caution" script

The above notes were only for the 1967 Shelby.

Edit; added (and / or Thermactor) with A/C equipped units
« Last Edit: November 13, 2019, 11:13:21 AM by Richstang »
1967 Shelby Research Group 

www.1967ShelbyResearch.com
www.facebook.com/groups/1967shelbyresearch

1991-1993 SAAC MKI, MKII, & Snake Registrar

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
  • Original Posts:14706
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2018, 08:49:37 PM »
I believe I have some notes from Bob and perhaps others that detail the '67's battery a bit further;

The “Autolite” lettering was not painted red on the 1967 battery.
-GT350 no A/C received the 22F with yellow caps & raised letter yellow "caution" script
-GT500 no A/C received the 24F with yellow caps & raised letter yellow "caution" script
-GT350 w A/C received the 24F with red caps & raised letter yellow "caution" script
-GT500 w A/C received the 24F with red caps & raised letter yellow "caution" script

The above notes were only for the 1967 Shelby.
and or thermactor should be added to the GT350 and GT500 w A/C designation.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2018, 08:53:54 PM »
I believe there was a thread about batteries BTC and seeing a $17,000 B9 battery on ebay lead to restarting this thread.

According to my Marti report I have both the Extra Cooling Package and Heavy Duty Battery option on my mid year 67 GT350.
Per previous discussions, this would net me a group 24 red cap battery and not the group 22 yellow cap battery.

We used to have a chart that described what cars and their options netted what battery the car received.
I'll kick it off with what I remember (uh, oh) and update it after the experts chime in with what they know and I'll correct it.
  • 65 GT350.....................Group 22...yellow
  • 66 GT350.....................Group 22...yellow
  • 67 GT350.....................Group 22...yellow
  • 67 GT350...w/a/c..........Group 24...red
  • 67 GT350...w/H/D Bat...Group 24...red
  • 67 GT500....................Group 24...red

Further, the group 24 has been repopped and is available from various vendors.

Here is a pic of that battery:
as soured from Virginia Mustang.

Is this battery concours correct for MCA given the above restrictions for the various cars?

This should follow with a thread for the correct V/R for this battery/alternator combo.
Besides the amendments to your list already mentioned the 66 GT350 with A/C would get the group 24 ...red  . FYI the picture of the battery that has been reproduced is not assemblyline correct for 65,66,or 67 Mustang/Shelby. It is a reproduction of a 1968-70 assemblyline battery. The 65,66,and 67 battery has a different looking top.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

JD

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2018, 08:54:36 PM »
Here are a couple images of the three sizes of (F22, F24, F27) batteries that Bob G posted on the old forum.

Note the AUTOLITE on the front surfaces, the hold-down ledges, or lack of, low on the ends, the colors of the caps and most importantly the molded-in CAUTION text (assembly line) vs the raised pad with the label for noting the date of purchase (Service replacement} version.

(Edit as per Bob G below) The current reproductions are service replacement version for '65-'67 and repro for '68 -'70 cars.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2018, 09:38:45 PM by JD »
'67 Shelby Headlight Bucket Grommets https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=254.0
'67 Shelby Lower Grille Edge Protective Strip https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=1237.0

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2018, 08:57:29 PM »
Here are a couple images of the three sizes of (F22, F24, F27) batteries that Bob G posted on the old forum.

Note the AUTOLITE on the front surfaces, the hold-down ledges, or lack of, low on the ends, the colors of the caps and most importantly the molded-in CAUTION text (assembly line) vs the raised pad with the label for noting the date of purchase (Service replacement} version.

The current reproductions are all service replacement versions.
Sort of a service replacement (wrong sticker for that) for 65-67 but assemblyline type for 68-70. It is a great reproduction (visually) for the 68-70 years cars.

J_Speegle

• SAAC Member
  • Just here to help :)
    • View Profile
    • ConcoursMustang.com
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2018, 09:03:57 PM »
Might want to change the following since its not correct. The group 24 has not been reproduced for 1967 Mustangs and Shelbys
And that subject was the source of a number of very long threads on the old site

Further, the group 24 has been repopped and is available from various vendors.

Some pictures of originals

Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

roddster

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2018, 12:08:04 PM »
  OK, I thought of this some three years back.  And I had a few made up "battery Legal Mumbo Jumbo" plates made up.  And all I got out of it is a bunch of "that will be points off" BS from a few of our forum experts.  REALLY!
  And still, this pops up from time to time.  You want them.  NOBODY makes the group 24 case and yes, there is a "topper" that has a decal that, in my opinion, is not even close.
  So, let me start by making a list of who is interested in the legal Mumbo-Jumbo plate you can glue to the top of a battery, or the top of the topper, or anywhere else.  PM me.
  Price?  I am not sure yet, but with postage likely about $35 to $40 each.   And, if you have the time, I believe the letters can be removed from the mounting plate and glued on, eliminating the plate.
  The folks who make these said they would rather not made them one at a time, so, this will be a one shot deal like what Nic did with those nose wiring guide he had printed for the 67 center high beams.

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2018, 12:57:01 PM »
  OK, I thought of this some three years back.  And I had a few made up "battery Legal Mumbo Jumbo" plates made up.  And all I got out of it is a bunch of "that will be points off" BS from a few of our forum experts.  REALLY!
  And still, this pops up from time to time.  You want them.  NOBODY makes the group 24 case and yes, there is a "topper" that has a decal that, in my opinion, is not even close.
  So, let me start by making a list of who is interested in the legal Mumbo-Jumbo plate you can glue to the top of a battery, or the top of the topper, or anywhere else.  PM me.
  Price?  I am not sure yet, but with postage likely about $35 to $40 each.   And, if you have the time, I believe the letters can be removed from the mounting plate and glued on, eliminating the plate.
  The folks who make these said they would rather not made them one at a time, so, this will be a one shot deal like what Nic did with those nose wiring guide he had printed for the 67 center high beams.

Since we lost all of the history from the forum crash I suppose we will go over this AGAIN. roddster (AKA Rod) apparently you don't understand that wrong is still wrong regardless of half wrong or not. It might be considered the next best thing compared to the sticker but as far as a substantial difference it falls short IMO.  I complemented you on your effort but the applique does not make the battery look any more correct other then having the correct wording compared to the sticker.  Sorry you got frustrated /mad or what ever it was not my intention. I explained knowing your demeanor that it might bother you but thought that the truth and facts would better explain the reasons for my and others point of view then no explanation but still point deductions .  The style of letters , the size of the letters ,the style of characters , the spacing, and the raised pad that you installed them on is all wrong compared to original . All you have to do is compare your picture to the picture of the original battery to see the difference. You made yours to fit the sticker pad but that is not how the original is . If you don't see it compare to the original battery picture.  If you can't see all the differences when compare the two pictures then that is on you I can only explain so much. Your applique looks better then the 68 version sticker that comes on the repro battery now or on the topper that Virginia Mustang offers but it is still just as incorrect. Closer, but close is only good in horse shoes and hand grenades. If something like this is given a pass then there is no incentive for the after market to invest the considerable capital to make a correct looking reproduction. The next best thing is just that . The next best thing in this case is a matter of smaller degrees in the right direction.

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2018, 01:02:02 PM »

Since we lost all of the history from the forum crash I suppose we will go over this AGAIN. roddster (AKA Rod) apparently you don't understand that wrong is still wrong regardless of half wrong or not. It might be considered the next best thing compared to the sticker but as far as a substantial difference it falls short IMO.  I complemented you on your effort but the applique does not make the battery look any more correct other then having the correct wording compared to the sticker.  Sorry you got frustrated /mad or what ever it was not my intention. I explained knowing your demeanor that it might bother you but thought that the truth and facts would better explain the reasons for my and others point of view then no explanation but still point deductions .  The style of letters , the size of the letters ,the style of characters , the spacing, and the raised pad that you installed them on is all wrong compared to original . All you have to do is compare your picture to the picture of the original battery to see the difference. You made yours to fit the sticker pad but that is not how the original is . If you don't see it compare to the original battery picture.  If you can't see all the differences when compare the two pictures then that is on you I can only explain so much. Your applique looks better then the 68 version sticker that comes on the repro battery now or on the topper that Virginia Mustang offers but it is still just as incorrect. Closer, but close is only good in horse shoes and hand grenades. If something like this is given a pass then there is no incentive for the after market to invest the considerable capital to make a correct looking reproduction. The next best thing is just that . The next best thing in this case is a matter of smaller degrees in the right direction.
  FYI If you can't see the difference between what you did compared to the original then that is the REAL  "BS" in all of this .

sfm5s081

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2018, 06:49:22 PM »
Sadlt Virginia Mustangs are out and they are on back order about 15 people deep. Any other suggestions where to buy one? 

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2018, 08:12:45 PM »
Sadlt Virginia Mustangs are out and they are on back order about 15 people deep. Any other suggestions where to buy one?
Buy one what? Battery ,Battery topper? You left your question open ended. Consequently it is hard to answer.

BGlover67

• SAAC Member
  • Formerly "My Shelby Dream"
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2018, 08:45:33 PM »
What's really sad about this is that there obviously are people who care whether or not they have the correct battery for their car, yet the manufactures aren't willing to spend the money to make the appropriate molds.  This was discussed ad nauseum on the old forum, but I still can't believe I can't buy a correct group 22F battery.  There has got to be enough Mustang owners combined to justify the effort.  Or perhaps with the advent of new technologies like 3d printing, a less traditional method could be employed?
Thanks,
Brian R. Glover
SAAC Carolina's Northern Representative

TLea

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2018, 09:31:53 PM »
Buy one what? Battery ,Battery topper? You left your question open ended. Consequently it is hard to answer.
I think he talking about batteries. Last I knew AAB was 8 to 12 weeks behind

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2018, 09:50:42 PM »
I think he talking about batteries. Last I knew AAB was 8 to 12 weeks behind
Last I heard from Brant Virginia hadn't been even been taking orders for some weeks so you can understand my confusion to hear the report that Virginia had said 15 people deep and associating that with the batteries.