News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

5R001

Started by Maduzbe, June 08, 2019, 06:36:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maduzbe

Who owns 5R001 now .

GT350Lad

6S373
6S1276

CharlesTurner

Charles Turner
MCA/SAAC Judge

Maduzbe

I know that a man by the name of Nagel owned 5R001  in 1984. I was a judge at the 1984 mustang nationals in Dallas Texas. I remember seeing him with the car at the show I asked him when the show was over if he would give me a ride in it , he said sure no problem ,so when the show was over he asked me if I would like to drive the car back to his warehouse because he had trailered a 427 cobra there earlier and needed someone to drive 5R001 back to his warehouse .I guess whoever helped him get the cars to the show was not available. so I was in the right place at the right time .that was the highlight of my life driving this car  on the highway to the other side of Dallas. to this day I still can't believe I did that .when we got to his warehouse it was full of Shelbys, there was a GT 40 in the corner of the warehouse that was in pieces and he said that it was Mario Andretti's car .he also had numerous other Shelby's ,what an incredible day  .i have often wondered where he and his cars are now . It's like he disappeared with his cars . Nobody seems to know anything . Just curios . I would like to visit him someday and see the famous GT350 that I once drove

Bob Gaines

Quote from: Maduzbe on June 10, 2019, 06:56:36 PM
I know that a man by the name of Nagel owned 5R001  in 1984. I was a judge at the 1984 mustang nationals in Dallas Texas. I remember seeing him with the car at the show I asked him when the show was over if he would give me a ride in it , he said sure no problem ,so when the show was over he asked me if I would like to drive the car back to his warehouse because he had trailered a 427 cobra there earlier and needed someone to drive 5R001 back to his warehouse .I guess whoever helped him get the cars to the show was not available. so I was in the right place at the right time .that was the highlight of my life driving this car  on the highway to the other side of Dallas. to this day I still can't believe I did that .when we got to his warehouse it was full of Shelbys, there was a GT 40 in the corner of the warehouse that was in pieces and he said that it was Mario Andretti's car .he also had numerous other Shelby's ,what an incredible day  .i have often wondered where he and his cars are now . It's like he disappeared with his cars . Nobody seems to know anything . Just curios . I would like to visit him someday and see the famous GT350 that I once drove
Your friend advertised that he was going to start a Shelby museum. He got a lot of people to donate items like memorabilia and even cars to the project. I heard Shelby even donated to the project.Years went by, some problems arose and the museum didn't open . Items from the proposed museum were sold along with possibly donated items and cars different people alleged at the time. You can imagine the drama that created. About that time RN went under ground.That was 25 + 30 years ago. Many here know the story.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Maduzbe

Thanks bob for the info . That's sad he has some really historically significant cars . I am as well as a lot of other people would love to see them . Maybe one day he will bring them out

silverton_ford

Some history in print.   Mustang Times in November 1987.

http://mustangtimes.net/11-11/pg7-9.pdf

Bob Gaines

Quote from: Maduzbe on June 11, 2019, 06:56:39 PM
Thanks bob for the info . That's sad he has some really historically significant cars . I am as well as a lot of other people would love to see them . Maybe one day he will bring them out
Some of the cars and memorabilia were sold and are now displayed at the to the Shelby Museum in Boulder Co. The Boulder Museum has been open for many years now . If you have never been there add it to your bucket list. It is fantastic.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Mikelj5S230

I do need to drive the 350 miles to go see that museum someday........
Formerly known as CorvetteMike.

Shelby_r_b

I'm curious - what ever happened to Rick Nagel?  Is he still around?
Nothing beats a classic!

Bob Gaines

Quote from: Shelby_r_b on June 11, 2019, 10:59:26 PM
He is still vertical from what I understand . Last I heard was stories in recent years of various buyers and their difficult unsuccessful attempts to purchase 5R001 . 

acman63

Hes still laying low.  owes a lot of people parts etc
SAAC Concours Chairman

Owner Shelby Parts and Restoration Since 1977

SAAC original first year member

98SVT - was 06GT

Quote from: Bob Gaines on June 11, 2019, 11:15:11 PM
Quote from: Shelby_r_b on June 11, 2019, 10:59:26 PM
He is still vertical from what I understand . Last I heard was stories in recent years of various buyers and their difficult unsuccessful attempts to purchase 5R001 .
Is 5R001 replacing the "missing" Daytona Coupe as the holy grail??? I crewed on 001 while Larry Zane owned it while Rick Titus was driving it. How much are the museum posters worth now? I heard there were only 75 printed.
Previous owner 6S843 - GT350H & 68 GT500 Convert #135.
Mine: GT1 Mustang Track Toy, 1998 SVT Cobra, Wife's: 2004 Tbird
Member since 1975 - priceless