News:

SAAC Member Badges are NOW available. Make your request through saac.memberlodge.com to validate membership.

Main Menu

eBay- Shelby 4100 test mule?

Started by 69mach351w, June 09, 2019, 11:31:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

6s2020

Don Johnston

Sent a message to seller that USPS rates, including priority flat rates, are the same for all 50 States.  No need to limit the shipping offer.  A little reminder here to other sellers as well.

Aloha 8)

Dan Case

Quote from: 6s2020 on June 09, 2019, 02:27:04 PM
Dan and Randy will know.... 8) :)

All I know that some time ago it was claimed this carburetor was obtained from a Ford engineer that did engine development work.  A word of caution on what you might call prototype or development parts of any kind 'from Ford'. Most ideas did not work out for many different reasons. Just because Ford made or had made something special doesn't mean it turned out to be great idea. 289 cylinder heads with intake and exhaust valves the same size, single over head cam 289s, and 351W 4V aluminum intake manifolds made of fabricated aluminum tubing come to mind right off.
Dan Case
1964 Cobra owner since 1983, Cobra crazy since I saw my first one in the mid 1960s in Huntsville, AL.

gt350hr

+1 on Dan's sound advice. This "could" be an experimental part. IF it worked , they would have been "common" like the 119 and 112 carburetors. Even though the 119 version is somewhat rare , it was "production".  Stories are just that. I know that all of the SAI/Paxton development was done around the "regular" 112 HiPo 289 carb . I was one of if not the first to put 715 Holley "in the box" when I got some "experimental" Nitrophyl ( now VERY common) floats ( so they wouldn't crush like brass floats) from the late Chuck Gulledge , a Holley engineer back in the day. The bigger carburetor didn't make a big difference at the track like it should have.
      I would chalk this one up as a "white elephant" unless you want to hang money on the wall.
   Randy
Celebrating 46 years of drag racing 6S477 and no end in sight.

pbf777

Interestingly the "1.23" was a common size for Autolite 2100 two barrel carburetors, but the "big one" (2V) we always looked for was the "1.33" units.

Scott.

Krelboyne

Quote from: gt350hr on June 10, 2019, 01:57:03 PM
  +1 on Dan's sound advice. This "could" be an experimental part. IF it worked , they would have been "common" like the 119 and 112 carburetors. Even though the 119 version is somewhat rare , it was "production". 
   Randy

The 1.19" venturi 4100 dates back to 1958. Was used on the 383 Marauder Hi-Torque.
Scott Behncke - Carchaeologist @ WCCC

gt350hr

Yes and modern "opportunists" (IMHO) make a big deal out of that 119 carb . Almost 50 years ago I did some drag strip testing a saw NO gain from using a 119 on a ( then) 13 second 289 hi po 4spd I raced. The original 112 ran virtually identical ET's and MPH.
   As has been said already , not every experiment was positive , there were lots of duds.
      Randy
Celebrating 46 years of drag racing 6S477 and no end in sight.

BGlover67

It is a beautiful thing to see how the regulars on this forum can identify and provide a history lesson about something as bizarre and limited in application as this part.  It's what keeps me coming back here again and again.  I'm sure they're not nearly as smart over at the bowtie forums.  ;D
Thanks,
Brian R. Glover
SAAC Carolina's Northern Representative

pbf777

Quote from: BGlover67 on June 10, 2019, 07:28:45 PM
I'm sure they're not nearly as smart over at the bowtie forums.  ;D

Shoot, all you gotta know is that: 

CHEVROLET stands for: Cracked heads, Every valve rattles, & Oil leaks every time!

OSPHO is a Chevy mans' best friend!

If the valve cover spells OSOROW you've installed  'em upside down............. again!

It's the second cylinder not the first cylinder, that's number "1"

"NO VA" in Spanish means "it doesn't go"!

"STINGRAY"s are bottom feeders!

No matter how hard you try, or how much money you spend, you still end up with a MOUSE or a RAT!

The name of the founder of CHEVROLET was "CRAPO"!

AND,................. remember, BOW-TIES are for little boys!        ::)

Scott.

Krelboyne

With a Ford, you don't need a Good Wrench.
Scott Behncke - Carchaeologist @ WCCC

pbf777

Darn, I forgot that one! And probably a few others too.    :o

Scott.

69mach351w

Quote from: pbf777 on June 10, 2019, 08:03:54 PM
Quote from: BGlover67 on June 10, 2019, 07:28:45 PM
I'm sure they're not nearly as smart over at the bowtie forums.  ;D

Shoot, all you gotta know is that: 

CHEVROLET stands for: Cracked heads, Every valve rattles, & Oil leaks every time!

OSPHO is a Chevy mans' best friend!

If the valve cover spells OSOROW you've installed  'em upside down............. again!

It's the second cylinder not the first cylinder, that's number "1"

"NO VA" in Spanish means "it doesn't go"!

"STINGRAY"s are bottom feeders!

No matter how hard you try, or how much money you spend, you still end up with a MOUSE or a RAT!

The name of the founder of CHEVROLET was "CRAPO"!

AND,................. remember, BOW-TIES are for little boys!        ::)

Scott.
Or............. Can-Hear-Every-Valve-Rattle-On-Lifter-Every-Time  ;D