News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

Removing windshield sticker

Started by shelbydoug, June 10, 2019, 07:50:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

shelbydoug

I need to change my cracked windshield out and want to reuse the inspection and registration stickers.
Glass shops remove these things all the time intact and I'm being stubborn and want to learn how to do this myself.

I Googled this yesterday and found that I can't connect to any of the links and getting the message that, "receiving this information is illegal". I had to wait until this morning since I was laughing so hard everytime I'd think about it.

Can anyone share some insight on how to get these stickers safely off intact...without Big Brother raiding my place overnight and arresting me?
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

kjspeed

I want to learn too! I'd like to save the inspection and registration stickers (from the last owner in NY) from my windshield to keep with the car's other paperwork.
1968 Shelby GT350
1968 Mustang GT S-code
2009 Mustang Bullitt

CharlesTurner

Heat gun and fresh razor blade is only chance.  They will most likely not come off intact.
Charles Turner
MCA/SAAC Judge

shelbydoug

Someone suggested cutting a piece of shipping tape the dimension of the sticker, attaching it to the back of the sticker, THEN peeling it starting at one corner.

A heat gun could crack the glass. A hairdrier might work instead?

How do you get into "the dark web"? Do you need an arrest record?
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

kjspeed

Doug, don't tell anyone that you got this from me but, you access the dark web by turning off your computer monitor while leaving your PC on. Anything you type will go out on the dark web and you'll usually receive a post card reply in the mail within 7-10 days. But there's an easier way!

Contact your car insurance carrier and tell them you want to make a claim on your comprehensive coverage for a cracked windshield. When they send the crew out to replace it record their every move with your Super 8 movie camera (this may require several rolls of film). After you have captured every step, develop the film and send it in a USPS flat rate box to YouTube. That way you can take credit for showing everyone else how this is done.  ;)

Quote from: shelbydoug on June 10, 2019, 09:20:00 AM
Someone suggested cutting a piece of shipping tape the dimension of the sticker, attaching it to the back of the sticker, THEN peeling it starting at one corner.

A heat gun could crack the glass. A hairdrier might work instead?

How do you get into "the dark web"? Do you need an arrest record?
1968 Shelby GT350
1968 Mustang GT S-code
2009 Mustang Bullitt

CSX 4133

Plastic stickers can be easily removed by heating the underside of the sticker from inside the car. Use either a heat gun on low or a hair dryer,  stay about four to five inches from the sticker while moving the dryer/gun to avoid overheating. Use a razor blade to get underneath the corner of the sticker and gently lift the sticker. The sticker should be placed on the new glass asap while the remaining adhesive is still pliable, otherwise a few small drops of new adhesive can be used sparingly.
If you have paper stickers, good luck, they are nearly impossible to remove intact. Some states have even gone to stickers that separate or change color if they are tampered with, hope this isn't the case with yours. Also, check with your DMV they might supply a replacement, at a nominal fee, to avoid the hassle of trying to remove the existing stickers.

FL SAAC

Decals are very challenging especially if they have been cooked on for years on a windshield. I dont know on this one.

Stickers are easier as mentioned previously patience and some warm air aplied slowly will sometimes help removal process. Careful with the heat and also the pulling of the sticker as you may stretch it out of proportion.

Quote from: shelbydoug on June 10, 2019, 07:50:04 AM
I need to change my cracked windshield out and want to reuse the inspection and registration stickers.
Glass shops remove these things all the time intact and I'm being stubborn and want to learn how to do this myself.

I Googled this yesterday and found that I can't connect to any of the links and getting the message that, "receiving this information is illegal". I had to wait until this morning since I was laughing so hard everytime I'd think about it.

Can anyone share some insight on how to get these stickers safely off intact...without Big Brother raiding my place overnight and arresting me?
Living RENT FREE in your minds

All Time Post Count King !

Home of the "Amazing Hertz 3 + 1 Musketeers"

FL SAAC Simply the Best, much Better than ALL the Rest.

I have all UNGOLD cars

I am certainly not a Shelby Expert

gt350shelb

soaking a nj inspection sticker with windex usually gets it off intact .....a friend told me.
Some where some one is driving their collector car for the last time but they don't know it . Drive your car every time like it could be the last memory of it .

papa scoops

paper stickers will come off soaking them with glass cleaner, plastic stickers will come off with heat, don't waste time trying to do it in car. your taking the glass out anyway. use heat gun or hair dryer to "warm it up a little" don't melt it, use a fresh single edge razor blade to slowly raise from the corner and peel back at a 45 degree angle, DO NOT TOUCH THE GLUE SIDE OF THE STICKER you will get finger prints on it, put tape with a tab left sticking up on the non glue side to hold on. make sure your new glass is ready to put in, clean and apply sticker before installing glass. loose edges can be tacked down with  little clear nail polish. phred

shelbydoug

Quote from: papa scoops on June 10, 2019, 01:30:39 PM
paper stickers will come off soaking them with glass cleaner, plastic stickers will come off with heat, don't waste time trying to do it in car. your taking the glass out anyway. use heat gun or hair dryer to "warm it up a little" don't melt it, use a fresh single edge razor blade to slowly raise from the corner and peel back at a 45 degree angle, DO NOT TOUCH THE GLUE SIDE OF THE STICKER you will get finger prints on it, put tape with a tab left sticking up on the non glue side to hold on. make sure your new glass is ready to put in, clean and apply sticker before installing glass. loose edges can be tacked down with  little clear nail polish. phred

How can you put tape on paper that has been soaked?

As far as accessing the dark web, can't I just put a hood over my eyes?  :o
68 GT350 Lives Matter!

Stillakid54

68-2766, since 1990
69-2524, since 1992

shelbymann1970

Quote from: Stillakid54 on June 10, 2019, 04:44:43 PM
In case the attempt fails, would it be listed here?

https://www.inspectionsticker.net/
COOL, Thanks. There is a website for just about anything. :)
Shelby owner since 1984
SAAC member since 1990
1970 GT350 4 speed(owned since 1985).
  MCA gold 2003(not anymore)
1969 Mach1 428SCJ 4 speed R-code (owned since 2013)

TOBKOB

I can't speak for the other States and years but the 74-75 GA sticker is was yellow not blue.   :-[

TOB
1969 GT350 owned since 1970