Author Topic: Scam? or K code Clone Titled as 5S214 on Ebay  (Read 6163 times)

camp upshur

• View Profile
Re: Scam? or K code Clone Titled as 5S214 on Ebay
« Reply #15 on: June 13, 2019, 11:12:38 AM »
5S214 was delivered to SAI from Ford within 4 days of my car.
The FoMoCo VIN (purported as the original VIN of 5S214) of this advertised car however is many many many many thousands of numbers off from the cars delivered in this period though.
The SAI VIN plate is accurate in comparison to mine.
This car is presently trading in the range of a suitable donor car. Many non repo'd 1965 components are on this vehicle.

The Nicolini 1965 GT-350 pics on the internet appear to show an intact car. Too bad nobody on this forum is in Peru.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2019, 01:30:47 PM by camp upshur »

shelbydoug

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 13, 2019, 12:58:39 PM »
And if somebody is  buying the real one in peru and bring back to usa and try to put a plate on,  does the DMV would say sorry but this car is already existing ?

You'd have to talk to someone who works for a DMV in the US and ask about that situation? I think that all the states computers are tied together but who knows for sure? I would presume that the system would show a duplicate serial number in another state but I don't know that for sure.

Some of the smaller states may be still operating under an older system for budgetary reasons?

In NYS, there is no title until the 1973 model year, so essentially you can walk into a DMV office and register it. They have no records of the Ford number like SAAC does.

When the cars were new, that's often how new Shelby's would disappear after they were stolen. The thief would just register the car under the Ford number which would be "clean".

It was even a problem with Cobras. The car could only be identified by the plate pop riveted to the car.

There was a famous case of a 427 Cobra that was a street car. The owner at the time purchased a genuine but stolen VIN tag from an S/C and just pop-riveted on.

The owner sold the car as an S/C. The new owner discovered that it wasn't and sued for fraud.

68 GT350 Lives Matter!

5s386

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 13, 2019, 04:50:11 PM »
Right apron Shelby vin stamping doesn't look correct. Lots of original looking parts.

march66

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 13, 2019, 05:53:37 PM »
Do I see "genuine leather" seat covers?

camp upshur

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 13, 2019, 06:13:41 PM »
Same font and dimensions as mine.
Although on mine they spaced the SFM w greater interval.

Side-Oilers

• SAAC Member
  • SAAC member since 1981.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 13, 2019, 06:34:01 PM »
Same font and dimensions as mine.
Although on mine they spaced the SFM w greater interval.

I'm no expert, so this is merely a question:  Would the steel of the fender have been so dented in, if it were a Ford factory stamp? 
Looks to me like this pix shows varying degrees of impact dents in the metal.

I'm not talking about the depth of the letter/numbers, but of the metal around the letters/numbers as a whole.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2019, 06:35:55 PM by Side-Oilers »
Current:
2006 FGT. Tungsten. Whipple, HRE 20s, Ohlin coil-overs, 3.90 gears. 210.7 mph.

Kirkham Cobra. 482-inch aluminum side-oiler. Tremec 5-spd.

Formerly:
1968 GT500KR #2575 (1982-2022)
1970 Ranchero GT 429
1969 LTD Country Squire 429
1963 T-Bird Sport Roadster
1957 T-Bird E-model 3-spd stick

camp upshur

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 13, 2019, 06:50:00 PM »
There was a thread on the old forum wherein many of us posted our RH VINs.
To say they were ‘all over the place’ would be kind.

I have no idea if this car is the original, but both the VIN plate and the RH stamping are not red herrings compared to mine, but we are always learning!
« Last Edit: June 13, 2019, 06:57:17 PM by camp upshur »

CharlesTurner

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 13, 2019, 08:52:43 PM »
I'm no expert, so this is merely a question:  Would the steel of the fender have been so dented in, if it were a Ford factory stamp? 

I'm not talking about the depth of the letter/numbers, but of the metal around the letters/numbers as a whole.

This was done at SA, not Ford.  Don't believe any attempt was made to shore up from the bottom, so the only thing to help would be the top edge of the coil spring cover underneath to stiffen the area.

Since it was done at SA, the stamping would have natural steel showing where the stamps were made.  Original cars usually show surface rust on the letters/numbers.
Charles Turner
MCA/SAAC Judge

Side-Oilers

• SAAC Member
  • SAAC member since 1981.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 13, 2019, 10:56:11 PM »
Thanks for the info, Charles.  Makes sense.

And yes, I knew it was SA (and not Ford) that did it...but the old mind temporarily slipped a cog today... ;D
Van
« Last Edit: June 13, 2019, 10:58:05 PM by Side-Oilers »
Current:
2006 FGT. Tungsten. Whipple, HRE 20s, Ohlin coil-overs, 3.90 gears. 210.7 mph.

Kirkham Cobra. 482-inch aluminum side-oiler. Tremec 5-spd.

Formerly:
1968 GT500KR #2575 (1982-2022)
1970 Ranchero GT 429
1969 LTD Country Squire 429
1963 T-Bird Sport Roadster
1957 T-Bird E-model 3-spd stick

PerryH

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 18, 2019, 05:33:00 PM »
Not a K code unibody either.

So you don't think it was a real K-code?  How can you determine that?

J_Speegle

• SAAC Member
  • Just here to help :)
    • View Profile
    • ConcoursMustang.com
« Reply #25 on: June 18, 2019, 05:40:12 PM »
So you don't think it was a real K-code?  How can you determine that?

IMHO it would not be wise to show how these sorts of things can be determined on a public forum. Even if some of the points are fairly and somewhat widely know it only goes to educate others on how to make better fakes.

Just an opinion but its pretty easy to see what Charles was referring to if you think through what the differences would be between the different models.
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

Shelby6t5 Mike HHI, SC

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 19, 2019, 08:36:34 AM »

This was done at SA, not Ford.  Don't believe any attempt was made to shore up from the bottom, so the only thing to help would be the top edge of the coil spring cover underneath to stiffen the area.

Since it was done at SA, the stamping would have natural steel showing where the stamps were made.  Original cars usually show surface rust on the letters/numbers.

On the old forum we had noted that not all cars were stamped near the coil spring, 17 was one of them, much closer to the front of the apron, so there are exceptions to the rule. This is a well done clone, nothing more. If Howard is following this, I wonder if he has contact info for the Peru owner.

Mike

Vernon Estes

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 19, 2019, 09:38:18 AM »
I sent howard pictures of the car in Peru back before their were pictures of it on the internet. At the time, it was known that there was a car in CA which was claiming to be 214...the description here reads that it was in CA till 2015 so I would assume this is the same car.

Kind regards,
Vern
Junk dealer and the oldest young guy you will ever know.