Author Topic: 65 Mustang Seat Back Adjustor  (Read 2766 times)

mygt350

• Continuous caretaker of 5S228 since May 1967
    • View Profile
65 Mustang Seat Back Adjustor
« on: June 12, 2019, 10:58:55 PM »
I have never taken a front seat apart, but am about to dive into it.
Even though the seat back adjustor bolt is extended, the Pass seat leans back excessively. I run out of adjustor before seat back is in a "normal" position. And then, seat back is really spongey. Am looking at the seat back adjustor plate that has the 2 screws connecting it to the seat frame. Really looks like the plate is sunk into the seat frame quite a bit. From pictures I have seen, the tube that comprises the seat base frame appears to be on same plane. However, this tube seems to have a "dip" in rear which appears to allow the plate to be at a deep angle. Anyone ever have this type problem and other than replacing the seat base frame, what did you do to fix it?
Continuous caretaker of 5S228 since May 1967

Duncan66

• 5S204, 5S413
    • View Profile
Re: 65 Mustang Seat Back Adjustor
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2019, 05:29:54 AM »
Perhaps remove the bolt, match it to a longer bolt and replace? just sayin'

mygt350

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2019, 01:53:34 PM »
Thought about that but the adjuster should not be that far out just to get seat back to where you can sit in seat without laying down. Longer bolt will not fix problem. Am thinking rear of seat frame is bent or weld giving it up.

Bobby Crumpley

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2019, 03:56:28 PM »
I have seen this a number of times over the years and it has always been a cracked or broken seat frame causing the problem.
Bobby Crumpley
MCA#20316
www.houstonvaporblasting.com

OldGuy

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2019, 08:38:19 AM »
I have seen this a number of times over the years and it has always been a cracked or broken seat frame causing the problem.

+1 on the damaged seat frame. I have welded cracked frames in the past. Unfortunately, there is usually additional distortion that has occurred which has to be dealt with to make the seat adjusting bolt function correctly and look right in the process.

I would look for donor seat frames to solve your problems.

Frank

mygt350

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2019, 06:41:10 PM »
Update, pulled covers off seat base and found crack in base right where the back adjuster is. Here is a picture of the crack.
Now off to shop to fix it and put covers back on.