News:

We have implemented a Photo Gallery for hosting images right here on SAACFORUM. Check the How-To in News from HQ

Main Menu

1967 Shelby GT350 Coil Placement

Started by Shelby_r_b, June 14, 2019, 12:48:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shelby_r_b

Hello!

Typically, it's easy to find pictures / get guidance as to the proper location of the coil for a 1967 Shelby GT350.  However, given that my car (#2666) has AC and the Thermactor system...well, I'm stumped.

Could someone please share where the coil should be located under the hood?  Attached is a picture I took of the car when I first inspected it, and I'm not sure that this is the correct coil location.

Thanks!  :D
Nothing beats a classic!

Harris Speedster

Quite an unusual engine bay !

I once had a 65 Shelby that had A/C installed, plus more.
Looks pretty original under the hood, BUT, that does not look like an autolite coil?
Not sure the where the coil would mount,?

Somebody herein the forums will know.
Is this the first futuristic exotic in the world?
Size of an ac cobra, but built in 1935 !
https://www.autopuzzles.com/forum/features-stories-and-photos/harris-fwd-speedster-the-story/?PHPSESSID=v4pqtv6hep4ff4rvalrc9qsnj7

Looks "rural" under there.Anything living in there when you got it? ;D

Richstang

Only about 15 GT350s were built with A/C and emissions, so finding an original car will be difficult.
Of those 7 were built within 3 days of yours at San Jose (all in DSO 2599)
67213F2A02466    5/15/67
67213F8A02467    5/15/67
67213F5A02545    5/16/67
67213F7A02547    5/16/67
67213F0A02663    5/17/67
67213F4A02664    5/16/67
67213F9A02666    5/15/67

Photos of #02545 were found on the Barrett-Jackson website back in 2012 and noted as a SAAC div II restoration.
https://www.barrett-jackson.com/Events/Event/Details/1967-SHELBY-GT350-FASTBACK-115946
Normally I would follow protocalls and tell you not to copy another car but this car was built one day later at San Jose and may be correct.

A post on forum 1.0 noted when a GT350 was smog equipped the coil would be mounted on the intake.
I don't have any notes regarding what the location was when a car was smog and A/C equipped.
Unless one of our experts chimes in here, I would not move the location for now, but you might want to look closer at the intake for mounting threads.
1967 Shelby Research Group 

www.1967ShelbyResearch.com
www.facebook.com/groups/1967shelbyresearch

1991-1993 SAAC MKI, MKII, & Snake Registrar

JD

Is/was #2545 the car that won Gold (?) at the last SAAC held at VIR?  If so I may have some photos at my office.  will look later.

Edit: found my photo of #2545 SAAC 36, and a car that was at SAAC 35, thermactor with air.  Both have coils located as Bob states in his reply below
'67 Shelby Headlight Bucket Grommets https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=254.0
'67 Shelby Lower Grille Edge Protective Strip https://www.saacforum.com/index.php?topic=1237.0

Richstang

Quote from: JD on June 14, 2019, 03:25:14 PM
Is/was #2545 the car that won Gold (?) at the last SAAC held at VIR?  If so I may have some photos at my office.  will look later.

Yes JD,
Checking my folder from SAAC 36 at VIR, it appears it won Gold in Division II at that convention.
1967 Shelby Research Group 

www.1967ShelbyResearch.com
www.facebook.com/groups/1967shelbyresearch

1991-1993 SAAC MKI, MKII, & Snake Registrar

Bob Gaines

The coil goes on the intake on a smog equipped GT350 regardless of if AC or not. It is mounted in a special added threaded hole for that purpose extra on the S7MS and the S2MS large number intake.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Harris Speedster

Rich, Bob or JD
I am somewhat curious about the vinyl pull straps they have on the picture posted.

Ford used a real slim aluminum pull through band for many years ,and or rubber pull through straps >>to strap lines on a tie area.
Could these have been on the car when it left Ford, and then when Shelby worked his magic, they put the pull plastic straps on ?
Respectfully submitted,
john
https://www.autopuzzles.com/forum/features-stories-and-photos/harris-fwd-speedster-the-story/?PHPSESSID=v4pqtv6hep4ff4rvalrc9qsnj7

Bob Gaines

Quote from: Harris Speedster on June 15, 2019, 09:25:58 AM
Rich, Bob or JD
I am somewhat curious about the vinyl pull straps they have on the picture posted.

Ford used a real slim aluminum pull through band for many years ,and or rubber pull through straps >>to strap lines on a tie area.
Could these have been on the car when it left Ford, and then when Shelby worked his magic, they put the pull plastic straps on ?
Respectfully submitted,
john
You may be referring to the rubber straps Ford added to the AC lines to hold the hoses to the export brace . AMK sells them . Always get extra because the AMK ones break more easily then the factory ones which are now obsolete.
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

Harris Speedster

I kind of thought that, but hardly do you ever see one with ac.
So, you think that shelby added the vinyl pulls like in the picture.
BTW, that does look like a mighty fine >> high point restoration.
Nice rare car
Thanks
john

Just curious as I've never seen one, how effective was /is the A/C in these cars?

Shelby_r_b

Quote from: 557 on June 14, 2019, 02:10:50 PM
Looks "rural" under there.Anything living in there when you got it? ;D

LOL! Luckily, the rat traps that were located on the ground under the car seemed to do their job 😉.
Nothing beats a classic!

Shelby_r_b

Many, many thanks to Rich, JD and Bob! I'll look for the threaded area on the intake for the coil mount. 👍🏻

I, too, am curious as to how good the AC system is on a 67 GT350. Please advise, as I'd like to know how good or not good it can be since mine still needs a charge.

Another question: I noticed that the top of the smog filter on the pictured cars is way different than the one on my car. It looks like the cap should have a long tube and a hose connection to a valve on the passenger side of the firewall (which my car has the valve and a piece of cut hose that sound be coming from the top of the smog filter). Here's the question:  do I need to do anything else to the smog system to render it inoperable, yet keep it mounted to the engine, given the filter is not attached to the aforementioned valve? Also, is it hard to find the correct smog filter cap?

Thanks!
Nothing beats a classic!

Bob Gaines

Quote from: 557 on June 15, 2019, 05:00:42 PM
Just curious as I've never seen one, how effective was /is the A/C in these cars?
The A/C worked very effective when working properly.

J_Speegle

Quote from: Shelby_r_b on June 16, 2019, 06:58:41 PM
Another question: I noticed that the top of the smog filter on the pictured cars is way different than the one on my car. It looks like the cap should have a long tube and a hose connection to a valve on the passenger side of the firewall (which my car has the valve and a piece of cut hose that sound be coming from the top of the smog filter).

Not all the tops used for the top of the thermactor filter canister had the snorkel - the vast majority of originals I've seen didn't have them - only the elbow. Would guess that many we see today have systems built from parts collected rather than ones that came with the car originally. There is a possibility that there was at least one other configuration but until I find another car that matches than example would only confuse the subject and its tough enough all ready :)

The hose from the top and bottom go to the smog pump and to the valve

Quote from: Shelby_r_b on June 16, 2019, 06:58:41 PMAlso, is it hard to find the correct smog filter cap?

Either of the versions are a pain to find. They were used on Mustangs sometimes with the elbow fitting capped off or even modified (folded over) Also check (ya like that is going to be any easier) for big 6 cylinder applications with Thermactor systems ;)

Picture of a non-snorkel version we typically see/find on 500s and 350s that year.

Quote from: Shelby_r_b on June 16, 2019, 06:58:41 PMHere's the question:  do I need to do anything else to the smog system to render it inoperable,

If only the hose from the top nipple of the valve is not connected to the intake or top of the air filter and everything else is hooked up the system will not be inoperable. Pump (if not frozen, broken or damaged) will pump fresh air into the heads as designed.

Not sure why you don't want it to operate as Ford designed it (HO difference is around 2% - no where near what the AC will be pulling down once on).  You can just leave off the belt but you will get hot exhaust air creeping possibly of the injector manifold and the car may not run very well without the system operating and some additional work. 

Hope this helps
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge