Author Topic: tire selection for steel wheels  (Read 2372 times)

acman63

• View Profile
    • Shelby Parts and Restoration  since 1977
tire selection for steel wheels
« on: June 14, 2019, 06:02:18 PM »
who has run modern radials  with the 15 x 6  steel wheels.   brand ? , size ?,    no clearance issues tire?
SAAC Concours Chairman

Owner Shelby Parts and Restoration Since 1977

SAAC original first year member

zray

• View Profile
Re: tire selection for steel wheels
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2019, 10:27:12 PM »
who has run modern radials  with the 15 x 6  steel wheels.   brand ? , size ?,    no clearance issues tire?

I put a set of Avon CR6ZZ tires (215/60-15) on a set of Ford 15x6 wheels with 3 7/8" BS'ing. The car was a '65 K code. I can think of no other suspension improvement for the money that will transform a car so dramatically for the better. Absolutely no rubbing issues,

http://www.avonmotorsport.com/historic/historic/cr6zz

I'm pretty certain a set of 65 profile tires would've fit just fine too. Certainly they would on the '67's.

Z.

PS  single wheel pictured was not the one I used, but has the same backspacing, etc.  mine were likely from a '70's econoline van.

« Last Edit: June 14, 2019, 10:30:30 PM by zray »

Bossbill

• SAAC Member
  • In the middle of Puget Sound
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2019, 11:42:03 PM »
Since those wheels have no nubs for hubcaps it's doubtful if they are from an Econoline. Most vans had dog dish or poverty hubcaps.
From what I've seen while looking for wheels, those are likely from a Crown Vic.

I like the look of the no nub wheels.
Bill

67 GT350 Actual Build 3/2/67  01375
70 B302   6/6/70  0T02G160xxx

shlby66

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2019, 02:23:09 PM »

+1 on the AVON CR6ZZ's. Great vintage look and loads of performance. No disappointment there.

I used,  AVON 215/70-15's  on Shelby Cragars and they look killer. No rubbing issues.

Doug 

zray

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2019, 04:55:17 PM »
Since those wheels have no nubs for hubcaps it's doubtful if they are from an Econoline. Most vans had dog dish or poverty hubcaps.
From what I've seen while looking for wheels, those are likely from a Crown Vic.

I like the look of the no nub wheels.

Thanks for the clarification, IIRC, my wheels had a 1970's date code.  No longer have the car so I can't be certain.

+1 on the AVON CR6ZZ's. Great vintage look and loads of performance. No disappointment there.

I used,  AVON 215/70-15's  on Shelby Cragars and they look killer. No rubbing issues.

Doug

I've heard from a few people that the 215's were too wide for a 6 inch wheel.  However, my experience seems to fly in the face of that assertion.  The contact patch, traction, and tire wear were all excellent, and identical to the 215 Avons I've had on 7 inch wheels.

Z