Author Topic: 1968 Starter Delay - Ford Service Part?  (Read 3925 times)

Sxty8KR

• I've wanted an early Shelby since I was 17
    • View Profile
1968 Starter Delay - Ford Service Part?
« on: June 27, 2019, 09:34:56 AM »
  Just wanted some opinions on this as I believe it is a Ford service part.  I just picked this starter delay up yesterday. The seller had it labeled as a "reproduction" and that it had never been used. I believe the never used to be accurate, but I don't think I'd have labeled it a reproduction.     :D

Steve

Steve
Seattle, Wash.
68 KR  #3777

Coralsnake

• SAAC Member
  • The original Influencer
    • View Profile
    • theCoralsnake.com
Re: 1968 Starter Delay - Ford Service Part?
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2019, 10:04:53 AM »
There has always been some discussion about this style of starter delay.

The originals were built with a black gasket and slightly different wiring.

This style appeared after production and was either a reproduction or service part. It appears the part had other applications.

It can be made to look more original with a little effort.

KR500

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2019, 11:06:58 AM »
Steve
Pete is correct that you can make it look more like an original. If I remember correctly there a 7 external differences that I noted between this part an an assembly line part. You can make 4 of the changes and most people will not know that it is not the real deal and the people that can tell the difference may not look any closer if it meets the first eye test.3 differences are easy to correct, the 4th moderate effort is required. The other differences would be extremely difficult to overcome.
Rodney
« Last Edit: June 27, 2019, 11:10:13 AM by KR500 »
Rodney Harrold,Ohio SAAC Rep,SAAC 68 Shelby Concourse Judge,68 GT500KR 02267

Sxty8KR

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2019, 12:52:32 PM »
Thanks for the responses gentlemen. I know that Scott Fuller reproductions sells a "Starter Delay Parts Package" with the screws, gasket, & the wire lead. Not sure on how to go about any ink stamping however.
Steve
Seattle, Wash.
68 KR  #3777

Coralsnake

• SAAC Member
  • The original Influencer
    • View Profile
    • theCoralsnake.com
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2019, 03:36:08 PM »
Most copy shops sell rubber stamps. You provide them with the artwork and they can make the stamp. Use paint instead of ink when applying the stamp

J_Speegle

• SAAC Member
  • Just here to help :)
    • View Profile
    • ConcoursMustang.com
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2019, 04:32:49 PM »
Just a mention of one possible issue when and if you have a local shop make up stamps - some/many will refuse doing registered names and logos such as AUTOLITE, FoMoCo and so on without permission
Jeff Speegle- Mustang & Shelby detail collector, ConcoursMustang.com mentor :) and Judge

Scott Fuller

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2019, 08:57:39 PM »
No Autolite or FoMoCo stamps on starter delays.

It's a service part not a reproduction. 

Scott

cbrown

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2019, 08:43:36 AM »
I have a service one in a box somewhere and The cover is black. Anyone ever seen that?

chris

Sxty8KR

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2019, 01:24:08 PM »
No Autolite or FoMoCo stamps on starter delays.

It's a service part not a reproduction. 

Scott

Scott... Just curious. I looked at the photos on your website of the original starter delays you have documented and didnt observe stamping(s) on them. Are they faded away from age,  or  just not applied from the factory?   

Steve
Steve
Seattle, Wash.
68 KR  #3777

gt350hr

• Randy Gillis in real life - 5353 original posts
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2019, 05:01:14 PM »
  Scott may need a little time to respond. Our latest 7.1 earthquake was in his "backyard". I have PM'd him and not heard back so he may be without power.
Celebrating 46 years of drag racing 6S477 and no end in sight.

TLea

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2019, 06:01:37 PM »
He and Amy were fine after the first 6.4. Haven't heard since the 7.1
Definately a service piece. Assembly line did not have ink stampings
« Last Edit: July 08, 2019, 06:05:13 PM by TLea »

69mach351w

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2019, 06:04:11 PM »
Man, I'd like one time, just to feel an earthquake, not saying that in a bad way, but I'm the kind of person that likes to feel natures power. 

I felt the power of an oncoming hurricane here on the east coast and have been right in floods but at a safe distance and felt the vibration of an oncoming tornado.

I was watching the news just now of the eathquake and a woman sitting by the pool.......HOLY S***!!!   Man, I never knew earthquakes like that.  You see stores and items falling off shelves, bridges collapsing, etc,... But I always thought it was the constant vibrating/shaking that eventually made structures give way.

After watching the swimming pool video, I was floored!!

« Last Edit: July 08, 2019, 06:06:04 PM by 69mach351w »

corbins

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2019, 06:43:01 PM »
Man, I'd like one time, just to feel an earthquake, not saying that in a bad way, but I'm the kind of person that likes to feel natures power. 

I felt the power of an oncoming hurricane here on the east coast and have been right in floods but at a safe distance and felt the vibration of an oncoming tornado.

I was watching the news just now of the eathquake and a woman sitting by the pool.......HOLY S***!!!   Man, I never knew earthquakes like that.  You see stores and items falling off shelves, bridges collapsing, etc,... But I always thought it was the constant vibrating/shaking that eventually made structures give way.

After watching the swimming pool video, I was floored!!
Several years back we had a minor quake about 45 miles east of my house. I was in the garage under the hood of 2185, when all of a sudden the rear end started bouncing up and down. I cussed at my son believing he had snuck up to back and was bouncing the car to screw with me. Shocked when I looked up and found no one in the garage! Confused and a little wierded out to say the least :) Found out later that is was the quake.

69mach351w

• SAAC Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2019, 05:07:01 PM »
Wow, would've weirded me out too Corb :o

Now back to the thread ;)