Author Topic: 1967 GT350 B/FX racer found in Chicago.  (Read 34820 times)

Harris Speedster

• View Profile
Re: 1967 GT350 B/FX racer found in Chicago.
« Reply #15 on: June 19, 2019, 02:27:39 PM »
Thomas,
I take it that you did get a title when you purchased It ?
If not, why ?
Did they provide " YOU " a bill of sale from whom they bought it from ?

Was it a family member >> or a widow that sold you the drag car? Surely they know something, old race pictures too.
Any old paper work may also help with finding a serial number, and or where it was at before he bought it to race>

Trace back old racers or families from the old tracks around you area. Again, you need to spend lots of time, which may lead absolutely no where.

These are all but a few scenarios you need to start on.

No serial number. means you own an old cut up mustang drag car.
An expert can identify modifications "" that may or may not have been done at Shelby's place. """

respectfully submitted,
John

Is this the first futuristic exotic in the world?
Size of an ac cobra, but built in 1935 !
https://www.autopuzzles.com/forum/features-stories-and-photos/harris-fwd-speedster-the-story/?PHPSESSID=v4pqtv6hep4ff4rvalrc9qsnj7

Thomas

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 19, 2019, 02:29:18 PM »
Thank you for the help Bob.

I've about exhausted all of the standard sources trying to I.D. the car. Everyone has been so helpful. This site was my next logical step. There seems to be a wealth of knowledge here and just maybe someone might have the key to who built the car or who may have raced it....

The one document that I do have is dated 3/21/1969 and ties the car to a "Ericksons Speed Shop" in Chicago. Its a receipt from Hilborn for the purchase and set up of the injection intake manifold and fuel system. Unfortunately it doesn't state the person who is buying the unit.

« Last Edit: June 19, 2019, 02:39:18 PM by Thomas »

gt350hr

• Randy Gillis in real life - 5353 original posts
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 19, 2019, 02:35:18 PM »
  Thomas the lowest NHRA class was C/FX and it was short lived due to almost zero participation except the two Ford sponsored Galaxies driven by Bill Hoefer and Ed Terry.  Is that fuel injection or Webers ? the picture is too small for me to see.
    Randy
Celebrating 46 years of drag racing 6S477 and no end in sight.

Thomas

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 19, 2019, 02:40:52 PM »
Randy, It's a Hilborn injection unit set-up for gas. It was purchased 3/21/1969

George Schalk

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 19, 2019, 02:51:09 PM »
It doesn't appear to be from looking at one of the pics you posted, but are the original floors and rear wheel well housings still intact or has the car been tubbed? 

Bob Gaines

• SAAC Member
  • Original Posts:14706
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 19, 2019, 02:55:46 PM »
Thank you for the help Bob.

I've about exhausted all of the standard sources trying to I.D. the car. Everyone has been so helpful. This site was my next logical step. There seems to be a wealth of knowledge here and just maybe someone might have the key to who built the car or who may have raced it....

The one document that I do have is dated 3/21/1969 and ties the car to a "Ericksons Speed Shop" in Chicago. Its a receipt from Hilborn for the purchase and set up of the injection intake manifold and fuel system. Unfortunately it doesn't state the person who is buying the unit.
The tell tale signs of a Shelby build can be duplicated . At the end of the day at best the details will confirm a most likely a Shelby scenario but not 100% for sure be cause another party could duplicate them regardless of how likely or not. The vin confirmation along with the other build details is what makes the difference that most skeptical parties can agree on.   
Bob Gaines,Shelby Enthusiast, Shelby Collector , Shelby Concours judge SAAC,MCA,Mid America Shelby

George Schalk

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 19, 2019, 03:05:28 PM »
Bottom line is...If the car was purchased on a Bill of Sale (no title) with no VIN's listed anywhere and without substantial documentation and history backing up the claims that the car is a Shelby...it's a Mustang race car.  Did the sellers list a VIN on the Bill of Sale when you bought the car?

Thomas

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 19, 2019, 03:15:40 PM »
It doesn't appear to be from looking at one of the pics you posted, but are the original floors and rear wheel well housings still intact or has the car been tubbed?

The floors from the back of the drivers seat to the tail panel are original. The car was never tubbed.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2019, 03:21:51 PM by Thomas »

George Schalk

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 19, 2019, 03:22:40 PM »

The original floors from the back of the drivers seat to the trunk are original. The car was never tubbed.
Well that's good it has the original rear floors and wheel housings.  Do you have any pics you can post of the inside of the rear floors and wheel housings?  Any pics of the front side leaf spring mounts?

Thomas

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 19, 2019, 03:42:41 PM »
Here are a couple pictures of the areas that you requested. I can only post 4 pics per post.

Thomas

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 19, 2019, 03:48:32 PM »
here are a couple more.

George Schalk

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 19, 2019, 03:52:41 PM »
Here are a couple pictures of the areas that you requested. I can only post 4 pics per post.
That's what I'm looking for.  Very interesting! 

So was the deceased owner the original owner of the car or was the family able to tell you when he got the car?  You would think if the guy was a hoarder, he would've kept all of the cars history including race time slips, modifications done, even the removed parts.

George Schalk

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 19, 2019, 03:55:00 PM »
From the pictures, it looks like a Lime Gold paint car and not white like you are thinking.

Thomas

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 19, 2019, 03:56:59 PM »
From what I was told, the guy had a lightweight Galaxie, a Thunderbolt and this car stuffed into his garage since 1970. He wasn't a restorer or a racer. He just collected old Ford parts. The car was purchased on a bill of sale from the family friend of the man who died. They sold off all of the cars and parts last October and and they were never able to find paperwork on any of them.

Its just the lighting. The car is definitely white.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2019, 02:43:09 PM by Thomas »

Thomas

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 19, 2019, 04:01:25 PM »
his is the date stamp on the tail panel.